beginner looking at N3, can I use PE 1.0 box?

BYOB

beginner looking at N3, can I use PE 1.0 box?
« on: 6 May 2010, 03:06 pm »
Hello all,
Monkeypimp is killing me with his excitement about the N2, now I want some. My room is larger, 18X20 so I have been looking at larger speakers. N3 is high on my list but I am not good with wood. diyspeakercabinets.com is an option but they seem busy, the easy path is PE as it looks like their .5 box is popular for N2. Can I do a sealed 1.0 box with the N3 kit or is this just crazy talk? I think this would look nice on some simple stands but do not want to impact the sound too much. I am planning to use my MFW15 with this setup.
Cheers.

ebag4

Re: beginner looking at N3, can I use PE 1.0 box?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2010, 03:28 pm »
The N3 is a transmission line speaker which means there are divisions within the enclosure that direct the sound to a terminus on the back of the enclosure, so no, you can't use the PE box for that.  However Danny has also designed a sealed version for use as a center channel, but it could also be used as mains.  I believe it is a sealed enclosure, so assuming the volume of the PE box is the same you could build it.  The N3S would require the use of your sub.

edit:
Here is a link to the drawings:
http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/Neo3S.pdf

It appears that the volume is .639 cuft.  You would need an enclosure close to that, you can always reduce an enclosure's volume by glueing in wood blocks or the like.  You will also want to keep the front baffle the same width, 8" in this case.

Best,
Ed

monkeypimp

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2010, 05:22 pm »
Hello all,
Monkeypimp is killing me with his excitement about the N2, now I want some. My room is larger, 18X20 so I have been looking at larger speakers. N3 is high on my list but I am not good with wood. diyspeakercabinets.com is an option but they seem busy, the easy path is PE as it looks like their .5 box is popular for N2. Can I do a sealed 1.0 box with the N3 kit or is this just crazy talk? I think this would look nice on some simple stands but do not want to impact the sound too much. I am planning to use my MFW15 with this setup.
Cheers.

When you make a statement such as " I am not good with wood"...it makes me wonder about your wife. :)

BYOB

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2010, 06:56 pm »
low blow, but deserved.  :duh:

Now I am curious the sound difference of the N3S vs. N3 but understand the bass will drop off.

Bummer, the PE is 10" front on the curved and 9" on the box. Is this a show stopper? They have a volume .788 that I could easily fill to reduce volume.

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2010, 07:04 pm »
Here is a quote from Danny (the designer) in a N3 vs N3S thread:

The N3S is the exact same speaker as the beloved N3. It is just in a smaller sealed box. So other than a change in low end extension and a little bit of control in that lower range, they sound exactly the same.

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

monkeypimp

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2010, 07:14 pm »

Now I am curious the sound difference of the N3S vs. N3 but understand the bass will drop off.

Bummer, the PE is 10" front on the curved and 9" on the box. Is this a show stopper? They have a volume .788 that I could easily fill to reduce volume.

BYOB...Aka..Tim.  I have listened to Norah Jones, Tool, Gorillaz, Foo Fighters, Buddy Guy, Iron Maiden, Porcupine Tree, The Black Keys, Tori Amos, The Dead Weather, Guster, Gomez, Filter, Eddie Vedder, Broken Bells....  I think that is all that I have listened to so far today.  :D   And the excitement that I have bestowed upon you is continuing to grow.  The N2X's are absolutely fantastic and work across all the types of music I have listened to....I am gonna say it right here, right now..."DANNY IS A GENIUS"

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2010, 07:15 pm »
From the builder of the bad-ass Super V's

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79985.0
Haha, well almost Jason, they are actually the SuperV's predecessor the V-1.  I already had the V-1 coax running when Danny came out with the SuperV.  For this thread the OP may be more interested in this build:

Here is a thread I posted after they were finished:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=75552.0

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2010, 07:16 pm »
Tori Amos

My favorite Tori is her singing Bruce Springsteens "I'm On Fire".
http://www.amazon.com/Crossroads-Various-Artists/dp/B000002J9H

ebag4

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2010, 07:35 pm »

Not the box with the curved side but it is 8" wide and has a volume of .788.  You could possibly glue another piece(s) of MDF to the internal sides to stiffen them and reduce volume.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-742

Best,
Ed

BYOB

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2010, 08:56 pm »
Wow Ed, nice work! And thank you for all the tips. As the A Team would say, "I love when a plan comes together"! I think I can talk my wife into these and will show her your picture of the N3  :thumb: I showed her a picture of the LS9 and realized she was fully prepared to call the mafia.

As for Mr. Monkey...get to work! BTW, I ordered The Black Keys. Don't think I have had a listen but will let you know.

As for Tori...I like her version of Whole Lotta Love.

HT cOz

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2010, 10:58 pm »
The box to use is the PE Curved MTM .75 box with the Dimensions: 20" H x (8" Front, 4.5" Back) W x 14" D

It would work great with the Neo3S.  I was going to build these and even bought and cut the baffles but decided to get flat packs of the TL.  However I havent started building them yet.  Mainly because my room is also under construction.  Ahh soon.  Sometime I wish I had gotton the PE boxes because they do look nice and would work well on a stand.

ebag4

« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2010, 01:24 am »
The box to use is the PE Curved MTM .75 box with the Dimensions: 20" H x (8" Front, 4.5" Back) W x 14" D

It would work great with the Neo3S.  I was going to build these and even bought and cut the baffles but decided to get flat packs of the TL.  However I havent started building them yet.  Mainly because my room is also under construction.  Ahh soon.  Sometime I wish I had gotton the PE boxes because they do look nice and would work well on a stand.
I didn't see that one, very nice.  The only advantage to the straight sided box that I can see is that you could reinforce the sides with MDF while at the same time reducing the overall volume to the correct amount.  You could possibly do this with the curved side unit but it would be more difficult I believe.

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2010, 01:26 am »
Ruben (Outofthewoods) has some completed N3 cabinets ready to ship and I think he may have some flat pack cabinets too: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80417.0

BYOB

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2010, 12:42 pm »
I really like the curved box look (plus the price) but now understand how it could be a challenge to fill some space.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-747&scqty=2

Are there any tricks out there? Glue blocks of wood? sand? some type of resin?

Looks like I need to fill .124 ft3 (.763-.639) and seems easier said than done.

If I glue 4 blocks of .75" MDF together to sit on the bottom, say 12" X 4.5" X 3" that is only .094 ft3. if my math is correct.

Seems achievable but a little goofy with a big block of wood on the bottom plus I lose the benefit of additional side bracing.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2010, 01:01 pm »
If you don't drive them real hard then you can get by in that larger enclosure.

Be sure to follow this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=54352.0

You can take up some space by lining it with things that will stiffen the walls. You can glue in some additional bracing and vinyl floor tiles. Then line it with No Rez and you're good to go.

Thanks,
Danny

HT cOz

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2010, 02:10 pm »
I think having the additional volume is a great problem to have.  It gives you a chance to make the cabinet better. 

Certainly better than being too small.  :D