Anybody do a comparison on big ss amps (400+ @ 4 ohms)?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I am thinking of going ss on my RM 40's.  

Here are the amps on my short list:

Pass X250 or X350 stereo amps
Bryston 7B SST monos
Rowland 201 monos
EVS' soon to be released (I hope) ICE powered stereo amp
Parasound JC-1

Before anybody jumps on me, I know I don't have anything from Odyssey Audio on my list.  I listened to the Stratos about 4 years ago and thought it was ok for the money (preferred Sunfire and Forte amps over the Stratos on my Gallo References at the time).  I would be willing to listen to the Extreme Monos, but I don't think I am interested enough to possibly eat the return shipping costs.

So...

Please let me know if you have directly compared anything anything on the list above or have any other suggestions.

I know many use the Ampzillas monos, but I am not really interested in them.

Thanks,

GW

earlmarc

« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2004, 12:46 am »
Here are some other amps I would add to your list are:
1. Portal Audio Palladin Mono Amplifiers
2. Ampzilla 2000 Mono Amplifiers
3. McCormack DNA-500 Amplifier
4. Sim Audio Moon-5 Amplifier
5. Carver ZR-1600 Amplifier (Modwright Signature Mod.)
Among these amplifiers I think that the Carver and Portal amplifiers are unbeatable for the price.

vpolineni

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2004, 12:54 am »
what are the mods dan does to the zr1600?

earlmarc

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2004, 01:59 am »
Dan will be offering two mods for the ZR amplifiers. A Signature I & II mod. and possibly a Signature Absolute Truth mod. that will have something to do with tubes. He has not released all the details of these mods. This information will be available soon. He already offers mods. for the PS Audio HCA-2 amplifier and I assume the the Carver Sig.  I & II will be similar.

ekovalsky

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2004, 02:47 am »
If heat and power consumption aren't important considerations, I'd add Clayton Audio to the list too, either the M100 monoblocks (200/100 into 4/8 ohms) monoblocks or S2000 stereo (600/300w into 8/4 ohms) amp.  

These amps are fully biased into Class A, like the new and much more expensive Pass XA series. Although an environmentalist's nightmare, they have a very sweet and effortless sound.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2004, 03:21 am »
Earlmarc,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am not familiar with the Portal and I have never heard the Carver.

I want avoid the Ampzilla b/c of possible resale issues.

Although the McCormack amps have been well reviewed they have never been my cup of tea.

The last time I heard the Sim Audio was about 3-4 years ago on a pair of Aeriel 10 T's.  From what I remember, the sound was pleasing...

Eric,

I can stand the heat, but the price is another story!   :rotflmao:

I think the S2000 is out of my price range.

I did see a pair of M-100's on Agon for about the same price as I can get a new X250.

The X250 I have on loan from the dealer should be up and running in a few minutes.  I just need to figure out where to put it and not throw out my back putting it there.

GW

spectralman

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2004, 03:39 am »
I don't know what your price range is but every once in a while you can find a pr. of Spectral monoblocks for sale in the $10-11K range.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2004, 03:41 am »
Ooops!

Should have stated that I would prefer to keep it under $4K, but might be able to go up a little higher.

I would most likely buy used unless I get a very good deal on a new product.  By going used I can get everything I have listed.

GW

pjchappy

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2004, 03:47 am »
I have heard a lot of good things about the Ampzillas. . .why are you that concerned about resale value?  They are SUPPOSED to be just wonderful.

p

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2004, 03:53 am »
Concerned about resale for a few reasons:

1.  I don't believe they have a trial period, so I would have ot buy to try.  If I don't like them, I would have to sell them.  There isn't the same market for Ampzilla as there is for Bryston or Pass.

2.  I haven't been able to live long term with a SS amp for the last 7 years in my systems.  This is a big departure for me giving up on tubes.  If say six months from now I decide I just have to have tube amps again, I don't want to take a bath.

I know some will say that thinking like this limits what gear I would purchase and that I might be missing out on some killer gear, but that's the way I do things...

Now, if I could hear the Ampzillas in my system and they were that good I might decide to take the chance... :lol:

GW

pjchappy

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2004, 03:57 am »
There are several dealers of Ampzillas here on AC. . .

VMPS, John Casler, SedoniaSkyandSound. . .ask them if they have a trial period. . .or if you can 'borrow' a pair of amps   :wink:

p

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2004, 04:00 am »
I know who sells the Ampzilla.... :wink:

Thanks.

GW

earlmarc

« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2004, 04:24 am »
The Portal Audio Palladin amplifiers are $3000 a pair. Although not revealed by Portal Audio, the design is believed to be a Nelson Pass design similar to the Threshold amplifiers. A Threshold amplifier with a similar offering would cost about $6000. Threshhold amps are definately neck to neck with the Pass Labs amps. You also get a 60 day trial with the Portal Palladin amplifiers! I have not heard these amps but you can not loose with a 60 day trial period. The amps will go up in price by $500 at the end of the month.

Hantra

« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2004, 04:52 am »
G:

I have been recently falling for the JC1's.  In that same system, I heard a Pass X-250 a couple of weeks ago, and it was good, but nothing like the JC1's.  I have a friend here who is a dealer.  He'll be the first to tell you "it's just gear to me man", and he has only ever gotten emotional and excited about TWO products in the time I have known him.  One is the JC1's.  They are just great.  The only thing I have heard that made me want to sell my Plinius.  

OTOH, if you are concerned about resale issues, there certainly is a history with Parasound products.  That is one thing keeping me from buying them.  That, and the fact that I want to hear Scott Nixon's new big monoblocks.  I think they could be the ticket for me.  

Also, the guy I told you about, he's going to let me borrow some 201's for a few weeks.  I'll let you know how they are.  That's my short list right now.  I am afraid to go back with Plinius Class A amps after a very unfortunate experience last weekend. . .  :o

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2004, 04:56 am »
B,

Thanks for the post.

Give me a call at home or at the office on Monday.

GW

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 8 Feb 2004, 06:24 am »
Quote from: earlmarc
The Portal Audio Palladin amplifiers are $3000 a pair. Although not revealed by Portal Audio, the design is believed to be a Nelson Pass design similar to the Threshold amplifiers. A Threshold amplifier with a similar offering would cost about $6000. Threshhold amps are definately neck to neck with the Pass Labs amps. You also get a 60 day trial with the Portal Palladin amplifiers! I have not heard these amps but you can not loose with a 60 day trial period. The amps will go up in price by $500 at the end of the month.
This amp does look interesting... http://www.portalaudio.com/paladin.html   :)

pjchappy

« Reply #16 on: 8 Feb 2004, 06:33 am »
How about this one--  http://www.bose.com/pdf/professional/1800VI_AMP_TDS.pdf

It has a little more power than you may need; however, it is from Bose, so you KNOW it's the best money can buy.   :rotflmao:

p

Sa-dono

« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2004, 06:38 am »
Quote from: Hantra
I have been recently falling for the JC1's.  In that same system, I heard a Pass X-250 a couple of weeks ago, and it was good, but nothing like the JC1's.  I have a friend here who is a dealer.  He'll be the first to tell you "it's just gear to me man", and he has only ever gotten emotional and excited about TWO products in the time I have known him.  One is the JC1's.  They are just great.  The only thing I have heard that made me want to sell my Plinius.  

What did the rest of the system consist of? Also, any chance you can provide more detailed thoughts of the attributes of the two amps?

cyounkman

« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2004, 07:42 am »
Maybe try the Plinius SB300?

mcrespo71

« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2004, 07:57 am »
Hantra,

I can't keep up with all of your equipment changes.  Man, do you have the affliction really, really bad! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Michael

Cardigans Life CD[/b]