Anybody do a comparison on big ss amps (400+ @ 4 ohms)?

rosconey

« Reply #20 on: 8 Feb 2004, 02:09 pm »
if digital is ok klaus has some 1000wpc mono's coming out soon,also 500wpc 2 ch

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 8 Feb 2004, 02:25 pm »
Looks like I should give Klaus a call on Monday.

Thanks,

GW

Hantra

« Reply #22 on: 8 Feb 2004, 04:44 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono

What did the rest of the system consist of? Also, any chance you can provide more detailed thoughts of the attributes of the two amps?

The system in question consists of an Audio Tekne Simona preamp, Piega C8 Limiteds, Audience Au24, and a NorthStar 24/192 front-end.  

The Pass X-250 was actually really good.  I don't mean to take away from its superb qualities.  I just think the JC1's sound a lot better.  The Pass has the ability to sound really offensive, and really lush at the same time.  It sounds pretty much like the gear that is upstream.  A simple cable change revealed the Pass amp's ability to have huge mood swings.  ;-)

Some people would say the Pass is a near-perfect amplifier, and I guess you could say that, and not be too far off.  If the perfect amplifier adds nothing, and removes nothing, then the Pass is about as close as I have heard.  The Pass has really smooth cosmetics, and is one of the nicest looking amplifiers money can buy.

The difference is that the JC1 is just pretty sounding.  The reason I was in love with my Plinius is because it was so pretty, and made things sound so beautiful, even if unnatural at times.  But the Plinius was cloudy and not very articulate at the extremes.  The JC1's do not suffer from this.  Of course, there is a huge price difference, but the JC1's are the best amplifiers I have heard in this system.  They have the utmost CONTROL over the speaker, and still sound pretty.  They are very articulate, and transparent all the way out to the extreme of the extreme frequencies.

My previous favorite amp in this system was a heavily modded out Audio Research VT-200.  I hate to sound cliche, but the JC1's sound so much like some great tubes, but still have the speed, articulation, and control of some beasty solid state amps.  

Surprisingly enough, the A21 also had quite a bit of the JC1's performance.  It falls short of course, but IMO will be tough to beat for $2,000.

audioengr

« Reply #23 on: 8 Feb 2004, 06:23 pm »
Hantra wrote:
The Pass X-250 was actually really good. I don't mean to take away from its superb qualities. I just think the JC1's sound a lot better.

I agree.  The Pass amps have great bass control, but they are a bit hard at the high-frequencies.  JC-1's are more musical.  They just lack dynamics at the mid and HF.  This can be fixed with mods.

My two-channel modified Adcom GFA-585 (250W into 8 ohms) spanks both of them though.  At CES, several folks commented that it was the best amp they had ever heard at any price.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 8 Feb 2004, 06:39 pm »
Steve,

Do you have a modified Adcom for audition?  I realize the shipping wouldn't be cheap, but eventhough you did a great job on my S-7700 I just can't make that leap of faith on the Adcom.

GW

warnerwh

« Reply #25 on: 8 Feb 2004, 10:43 pm »
"if digital is ok klaus has some 1000wpc mono's coming out soon,also 500wpc 2 ch"

Rosconey:  Where did you get this info at?  I'd been trying to find out about this for awhile. Thanks

rosconey

« Reply #26 on: 8 Feb 2004, 10:53 pm »
talked to the dude(klaus) the other day about my tempest and he told me sooo  :o  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
he didnt give a date but gave the impression of soon :mrgreen:

KeithR

« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb 2004, 08:11 pm »
If I needed amps, would look to JRDG....and skip on the 201s, and wait for the 501s that he showed at the show.  Definitely the "hit" at the show, and i believe only about 1k-1.5k more than the 201s.

Problem with the new Rowlands is the 200+ waiting list :)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 15 Feb 2004, 02:36 am »
Managed to get a pair of 201's  and they have been burning in since Friday night.

I will give them a listen tomorrow and directly compare the 201's to Pass x250.

Will post findings early next week.

GW

Hantra

« Reply #29 on: 15 Feb 2004, 04:26 pm »
Sweeet!!!  

Can't wait to see what you think!  

I am sure they will take several days to burn in though.  Possibly weeks. . .

audioengr

« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2004, 05:37 pm »
Zybar -

I have one modified that I use as my reference and one unmodified that I plan to sell to a customer and modify.

Al Garay

« Reply #31 on: 16 Feb 2004, 12:34 am »
What makes you think you need 400watts to drive the RM40s? I would be more concerned about the current capabilities and overhead.

At the extreme for example, I would not be surprised if the AKSA 100 monoblocks drive the RM40s quite well and better sounding than many 400+ amps.

It would be worth going into the AKSA forum and seeing if there are any AKSA owners nearby.

If you are stuck with power and limited budget, then you  should consider looking for Adcom GFA-5802 or ATI3002 with MODs later.

Regards,

Al

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #32 on: 16 Feb 2004, 12:48 am »
Quote from: Al Garay
What makes you think you need 400watts to drive the RM40s? I would be more concerned about the current capabilities and overhead.

At the extreme for example, I would not be surprised if the AKSA 100 monoblocks drive the RM40s quite well and better sounding than many 400+ amps.

It would be worth going into the AKSA forum and seeing if there are any AKSA owners nearby.

If you are stuck with power and limited budget, then you  should consider looking for Adcom GFA-5802 or ATI3002 with MODs later.

Regards,

Al
Hello Al, Don't believe we have any AKSA owners nearby....thats why I have requested an AKSA to make a home audition tour...I said and will pay shipping...the thread is in the AKSA forum. I'm sure others would be interested in auditioning....and Hugh has said he like to make it happen. Stay tuned. :)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 16 Feb 2004, 01:59 am »
Al,

I have never heard AKSA amps and I was also under the impression that they are kit amps - is that correct?  If so, I have no interest in building an amp.

At the risk of starting a flame war, why do you think $1,400 amps are going to compete with or better amps costing $4-6000?

I have been searching for that holy grail for the past nine years and still haven't found it!

I am absolutely not saying money = sound, but rather that people confuse a good value or good sound for the money with absolute performance.  

Anyway, as Lonewolf pointed out, there aren't any amps in the area for me to hear.  If there was I would give them a shot and hope that they turned out to be the exception and not the rule.

GW

Al Garay

« Reply #34 on: 16 Feb 2004, 04:34 am »
AKSA are kit amps. Hugh Dean is working to establish a source in the US who will sell completed kits. When I first looked into AKSA, I asked in www.diyaudio.com about them and Nelson Pass himself replied giving praise for Hugh's work. If you follow threads from AKSA followers, you will read comparisons to Audio Research, Krell, Mark Levinson ... not Adcom, Parasound, Bryston.

I have listened to AKSA and likened them to the better NAIM and Linn amps. They are very popular for the same reasons that VMPS speakers are compared to 20-40k speakers. Don't be fooled by the price of kits.

If you listened to BentAudio preamps and Teres Audio turntables you would understand what I mean by small operations with exceptional products at any price.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 16 Feb 2004, 12:34 pm »
Al,

I own RM 40's and will probably be buying a Bent NOH so I understand what you mean and certain companies coming out with excellent products at very good prices.

That being said...unless you get into very expensive gear (why it is expensive is a whole other thread), I still think my point is valid.  As good as VMPS speakers are, I wouldn't put one of Brian's $1K speakers against most $4-6K speakers (yes, I can already think of some exceptions).

Anyway, I see that the Aksa amps are going to be coming to the US for an audition tour and I will now put my name on the list.

I thank you for giving me another piece of gear to try and I can only hope I like it as much as you do.

GW

Hantra

« Reply #36 on: 23 Feb 2004, 02:53 am »
Zybar:

My boy wants me to come over and hear the 201's.  He said I can bring them back here.  But I am scared.  I am afraid I will end up having $4,000 + in some amps, and I just don't want to spend that much.  Are they worth it?  

Any word yet on the sound?

B

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 23 Feb 2004, 03:12 am »
B,

The Pass is gone and the 201's are here, how about that for putting your money where your mouth is!   :rotflmao:

I am going to post a more detailed review in the next few days, but here is a quick blurb:

Both are fine amps but I thought the Rowland was smoother with more detail. It wasn't tubes (but was suprisingly close in sound to my Kora Cosmos Reference monos) but it sounded a lot closer to tubes than the x250.

The x250 had a little grain and sizzle that I have heard in every other ss amp (mind you it wasn't much, but enough to have me notice it very easily). It was also more forward sounding.

Suprisingly, the Rowland also had better bass. It not only went a little deeper, it was more dynamic and did a better job of presenting the texture and shades of the music.

You can also see my post on my listening session here in the VMPS forum:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8423

GW