BP6 faceplate swap - pics :)

rob80b

Re: BP6 faceplate swap - pics :)
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2010, 11:00 pm »
Rob -

What year is your B60?  Your original faceplate is the same as mine.  I wanted to change it to the current faceplate, but was told it would be a lot of work.

How hard was it?  How long did it take?  Other than the hole for the sensor, what else did you have to drill?  How much did it cost? 

Sorry if I'm hijacking.  Just interested in knowing if I thought it was harder than it actually is.

Hi Stu

My B60 is from 2002 I believe, and is current with the SST. The front layout is the exact same but there are 4 pins on the inside of the faceplate which line up with the holes in the chassis, the new SST face plate has one pin, the 2nd from the left which does not line up so I either had to remove the pin or drill a new hole, I chose the latter to retain the strength. It's the original faceplate which did not have a hole and that was drilled in the front, I don't know the whole story but apparently this studio version had the motorized volume control, there were extra remotes around so one of the technicians (not Bryston) installed a sensor and drilled the hole, studios do things like that so the warranty may have gone out the window, also I left the two screws just on top behind the face plate out as the holes are partially covered, although screws with a smaller head will work.
So yes there is some work involved and most likely a new cover and chassis front to make it completely kosher $$$$.
Long story short I was just about to call Bryston about a new face plate with the normal labeling of the inputs and remote hole when Tom shared his face swap and the rest was history.

Robert
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2010, 02:16 am by rob80b »

Stu Pitt

« Reply #21 on: 24 Apr 2010, 01:48 am »
Thanks Rob!  I'll probably stick with what I've got.  If it ain't broke...

rob80b

« Reply #22 on: 24 Apr 2010, 02:32 am »
Thanks Rob!  I'll probably stick with what I've got.  If it ain't broke...

Hi Stu,

Would have done the same, stick with what I had, but seeing I obtained the B60 for a very good price because of the cosmetics, hole drilled in the face plate, knobs a bit scratched up and the inputs on the front were all labeled "inputs" (the back though has the standard labeling CD, Video etc) I'd thought I'd give a whirl.
Wasn't planning on putting the newer SST face plate on but who was I to argue, the timing and price was right.

Robert

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #23 on: 24 Apr 2010, 05:55 am »
Am I sure of....?

the BP6 is the B60 without the amp?

rob80b

« Reply #24 on: 24 Apr 2010, 11:17 am »
the BP6 is the B60 without the amp?

Which ever way you look at it I'm pretty sure.

(few images I borrowed from audioadvisor.com)

BP6

B60R

vegasdave

« Reply #25 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:14 pm »
I see. You have a point there.

rob80b

« Reply #26 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:20 pm »
Should mention while were on the topic that I took the opportunity to listen a bit closer to the B60 even though the surrounds (Dynaudio 1.3MKIIs) are not ideally set up for serious listening and the source was a portable CD player I was quite surprised by the overall quality of sound. The little B60 is quite the integrate even though she had to be cranked up to about 2 o'clock to get the 1.3MKIIs to wake up, the BP25 and 4BSST sit around 10-11 o'clock on the dial for the same level of volume. Top end was super smooth, nice mid-range, staging and depth with a tight bottom end, and of course none of this would be possible without the pre-amp section which started this whole tread.

Robert

Robert

Stu Pitt

« Reply #27 on: 25 Apr 2010, 02:25 am »
The B60 is a BP6 and 2B LP in a single box.

I love my B60.  While it's great, it has it's limitations.  Dynaudio Contours are pretty much pushing it's limits to the max. 

vegasdave

« Reply #28 on: 25 Apr 2010, 03:34 pm »
Cool, that's quite a combo.