SB3 digital output impedance

Turnandcough

SB3 digital output impedance
« on: 10 Apr 2010, 07:59 pm »
Not sure if I'm posting in the right section but anyhow...
The other day I decided to replace the cheap digital RCA connector on my SB3 with a better one. I cut the traces and soldered a couple of wires to the pins on the board. After doing this I checked the resistance(impedance?) at the connector with a multimeter and it measured 107.7 ohms. It sounds good but ideally shouldn't it measure 75ohms? If so how would I go about adjusting this? 
Thanks

Wayne1

Re: SB3 digital output impedance
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2010, 08:45 pm »
Impedance and resistance are quite different from each other.

Impedance is a bit harder to measure and requires different measuring gear.

The SB3 does have a 105 ohm resistor across the digital output circuit.

That is what you are probably measuring.

To get a true 75 ohm impedance you would need a 75 ohm connector, cabling and terminations.

You may want to spend some time and look through this rather long thread where Pat goes through and explains quite a bit about the SB3 digital output section.

SB3/SPDIF output

Turnandcough

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2010, 09:33 pm »
Thanks Wayne

Turnandcough

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2010, 11:17 pm »
Went over the thread a few times but there's too much material in there for me to sort out.
In addition to not getting enough sleep last night I'm basically at a DIY level where I need everything spelled out for me. The only thing I would be tempted to try would be to bypass the L8 ferrite bead(inductor). But even that's not too clear. Is it just a matter of removing it and soldering a wire across?
I also have a pulse trafo collecting dust somewhere but I keep getting conflicting opinions about the advantage/disadvantage of using them so I'm not too motivated to risk it.