No joy with Logitech Harmony 785 remote and BDA-1

Yha

No joy with Logitech Harmony 785 remote and BDA-1
« on: 8 Apr 2010, 06:36 am »
Hi James

I have a BDA-1 (which I love, btw), and recently acquired a logitech universal remote. According to their website, the BDA-1 is on the list of things it can control. Unfortunately, my BDA-1 doesn't seem to respond to any of the remote's commands. Logitech have tried a couple of things but with no joy and suggest I contact Bryston to see get the the hex codes. But reading the posts on here, it seems that people are able to use their logitech remotes with no problems.

Would there be an reason why my BDA-1 wont work with the logitech remote. The serial number of my BDA-1 is 000003  - could it be I need a sotfware update?? (my unit was purchased second had, and from the box, it was originally purchased from Absolute Audio Video Ltd in Calgary, it that helps). 

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: No joy with Logitech Harmony 785 remote and BDA-1
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2010, 11:01 am »
Hi Yha,

I'll check on that for you.
Where did you purchase the BDA-1?

james

kmanusa

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2010, 06:25 pm »
Did you try speaking with their second level support tech?  I have a Logitech Harmony Remote that was advertised to work with the BP-25 preamp.  My initial attempts to get the remote to work with the 25 failed and when I spoke with their first level support tech over the phone, he could not help me.  However, he passed me on to the next level of support and this person worked with me until I was able to get the remote to function properly. 

Yha

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2010, 09:18 pm »
Hi Yha,

I'll check on that for you.
Where did you purchase the BDA-1?

james

Thanks James. I purchased my BDA-1 second hand through Audiogon in Sept 2009

Yha

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2010, 09:22 pm »
Did you try speaking with their second level support tech?  I have a Logitech Harmony Remote that was advertised to work with the BP-25 preamp.  My initial attempts to get the remote to work with the 25 failed and when I spoke with their first level support tech over the phone, he could not help me.  However, he passed me on to the next level of support and this person worked with me until I was able to get the remote to function properly.

Thanks kmanusa. The level 1 and 2 logitech support guys were pretty helpful. They added some commands that they thought would work, but after updating my remote and still having no luck, they suggested I contact Bryston direct for a set of hex commands. But it sounds like people are sucessfully using logitech remotes to control the BDA-1, so I'm not sure what to make of this...

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:18 pm »
I bought my BDA-1 used a couple of months back and have no problems with my Logitech Harmony One

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:56 pm »
Hi James

I have a BDA-1 (which I love, btw), and recently acquired a logitech universal remote. According to their website, the BDA-1 is on the list of things it can control. Unfortunately, my BDA-1 doesn't seem to respond to any of the remote's commands. Logitech have tried a couple of things but with no joy and suggest I contact Bryston to see get the the hex codes. But reading the posts on here, it seems that people are able to use their logitech remotes with no problems.

Would there be an reason why my BDA-1 wont work with the logitech remote. The serial number of my BDA-1 is 000003  - could it be I need a sotfware update?? (my unit was purchased second had, and from the box, it was originally purchased from Absolute Audio Video Ltd in Calgary, it that helps). 

Thanks

I checked with engineering and if it is serial number 3 it should have a software update.  It is not the reason it is not working with the remote though.

james

Yha

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2010, 11:44 pm »
I checked with engineering and if it is serial number 3 it should have a software update.  It is not the reason it is not working with the remote though.

james

Thanks for looking into this James. I guess I'll just continue to enjoy my BDA-1 as is, and think of it as much-needed exercise when I have to get up off the counch to switch sources

Napalm

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:47 am »

Well I'm trying to make a Harmony One talk to BP-6 and it doesn't want to. I'm right now on the phone wiith logitech waiting for a level 2 tech.

Let's see if they make it work, if not, Futureshop will see the remote back tomorrow.

Nap.  :bawl:

werd

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:54 am »
Well I'm trying to make a Harmony One talk to BP-6 and it doesn't want to. I'm right now on the phone wiith logitech waiting for a level 2 tech.

Let's see if they make it work, if not, Futureshop will see the remote back tomorrow.

Nap.  :bawl:

Hi, my harmony remote failed too at getting it to see my bryston pre or bcd or bda. Sold my BCD so the remote went with it.
Don't have the patience to battle remotes so probably just get the BR2 from Bryston that i know controls foobar on my laptop.

Napalm

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2010, 01:17 am »
Got to level 2. No luck, they just tell me to use the learn functions and get the commands from the original Bryston remote. Then why do they list the BP-6 on their web site as supported when in fact it isn't?

And, if it's about learning from another remote, why in hell did they design the whole thing so that I *need* to be connected to internet, logged in through their application, and with the Harmony connected to the PC via USB, for doing such a simple thing?

Obviously the Harmony One will go back to Futureshop tomorrow morning.

Nap.  :icon_twisted:

Napalm

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2010, 06:33 pm »
[...]Don't have the patience to battle remotes so probably just get the BR2 from Bryston that i know controls foobar on my laptop.

Neither do I so I just ordered a BR-2. If there will be a BR-3 coming out next month James would need to hide  :peek:

Now tell me about the foobar thing, sounds interesting, how would I achieve that?

Nap.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2010, 06:54 pm »
Neither do I so I just ordered a BR-2. If there will be a BR-3 coming out next month James would need to hide  :peek:

Now tell me about the foobar thing, sounds interesting, how would I achieve that?

Nap.  :thumb:

Hi

Its pretty straight forward no messing at all.....thank god. just hook up your bda to your laptop  via usb and it pretty  much does the rest. Load up foobar, it won't compile a library. but once the library is playing it will move around the library including stop and start.

Napalm

« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2010, 08:42 pm »

I guess Santa is in for a notebook with huge HD and the BDA-1 :drool:

Nap.  :xmas:

Yha

Re: No joy with Logitech Harmony 785 remote (Or BR2!!) and BDA-1
« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:39 am »
Hi again James,

sorry for digging up a post from over a year ago, but I have have never been able to get my BDA-1 to recognise commands from my logitech remote. Well, I bought a new BR-2 remote on a recent trip to the US (from Audio Advisor) thinking that this would solve my problems...

Well, I cant get the BDA-1 to recognise any of the commands on the BR2 either. Am I missing something here - I'm not able to switch sources or power on/off the BDA-1. I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks
Yuong

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2011, 02:40 am »
Hi again James,

sorry for digging up a post from over a year ago, but I have have never been able to get my BDA-1 to recognise commands from my logitech remote. Well, I bought a new BR-2 remote on a recent trip to the US (from Audio Advisor) thinking that this would solve my problems...

Well, I cant get the BDA-1 to recognise any of the commands on the BR2 either. Am I missing something here - I'm not able to switch sources or power on/off the BDA-1. I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks
Yuong

Push the DAC button on the BR2 and that should allow you to do Play, Pause, Stop, Next and Previous.

james

onthefly

« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:27 pm »
My Harmony operates my BDA-1 fine and also the volume on my BP26.  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug 2011, 03:52 pm »
Logitech has the BDA-1 under their 'Amplifier' section.

Yha

« Reply #18 on: 26 Aug 2011, 10:36 pm »
Push the DAC button on the BR2 and that should allow you to do Play, Pause, Stop, Next and Previous.

james

Hi James, still no joy. I've uploaded a short video onto youtube showing me unsucessfully using the BR-2. The remote is 'functional' - the backlighting activates etc etc, but I just can't get the BDA-1 to recognise any of the commands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r454QUcVFeI

James, or if anyone has any insight, that would be much very much appreciated.
Thanks

BrysTony

« Reply #19 on: 26 Aug 2011, 11:12 pm »
Hi James, still no joy. I've uploaded a short video onto youtube showing me unsucessfully using the BR-2. The remote is 'functional' - the backlighting activates etc etc, but I just can't get the BDA-1 to recognise any of the commands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r454QUcVFeI

James, or if anyone has any insight, that would be much very much appreciated.
Thanks

Just from the video it appears that you are not pointing the BR2 at the BDA.
Tony