Squeezebox Touch released today

mitch stl

Squeezebox Touch released today
« on: 8 Apr 2010, 01:22 am »
Logitech posted an official announcement on their Slimdevices forum today stating that the Touch is being released today (4/7/10). They had been tweaking the software to fix the remaining bugs and this had delayed the release of the device from its original December 2009 target.

The Touch can now be ordered from the Logitech web site and now shows "in stock" instead of the pre-order message. Presumably they will start shipping in the next couple of days. Its not clear how many retailers are going to stock the device.

mcullinan

Re: Squeezebox Touch released today
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2010, 08:32 pm »
Mine just shipped!!!!
Yeah!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2010, 08:34 pm »
Can the SB touch work with ipeng software app??

Turnandcough

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2010, 08:50 pm »
Does anybody know what DAC chip it uses and if you can stream 24/96 files wireless with it?
Thanks

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2010, 08:57 pm »
The DAC is an AKM4420.    It should go wireless with 24/96 without a problem.   

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2010, 09:43 pm »
Got the shipping confirmation for my pre-order today

Now I need hard drives and a burner to go w/ my new laptop
 :P

-Mike

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:17 pm »
Does anybody know what DAC chip it uses and if you can stream 24/96 files wireless with it?
Thanks

John Swenson was a beta tester for the Touch. He had this to say about 24/96 wireless streaming:

"The touch  supports 24/96 both on the analog outs and the S/PDIF outs. This works great on the wired network connections but can be a problem on WiFi if you have a lot of other wireless networks in your vicinity. So if you are planning on playing 24/96 you might want to be prepared for connecting with a wire if wireless does not work reliably. Some people have no problem and some do have a problem."

sts9fan

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:20 pm »
I am sure any of the remote apps will work if you still use a computer. Remember you are controling the software not directly the device.  If you plug straigt to the touch I have no clue but doubt it.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:31 pm »
sts9fan-Thanks :duh:

Turnandcough

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2010, 02:08 am »
I was just about to order one but it appears it's not available in Canada yet and Logitech US won't ship across the border. So much for impulsive buying.

mchuckp

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2010, 03:49 am »
Mine is en route and scheduled for Tues.  I'll get a chance to break it in a bit before my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1 arrives shortly after.  Should be a winning combo for me.

mikef

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2010, 12:09 pm »
Mine shipped yesterday - hopefully I'll have it by Monday! We'll see how it fares against the Bolder modded SB2 I'm currently using.

Mike Fox

coolsax

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2010, 06:45 pm »
while it'll be a few months before i get this i'm glad to see it finally released.. I was worried it might end up as vapor ware.  I had thought about going WDHD for a media player for two channel but then I would have needed a separate monitor now with the touch you have everything on screen already. 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2010, 12:07 am »
John Swenson was a beta tester for the Touch. He had this to say about 24/96 wireless streaming:

"The touch  supports 24/96 both on the analog outs and the S/PDIF outs. This works great on the wired network connections but can be a problem on WiFi if you have a lot of other wireless networks in your vicinity. So if you are planning on playing 24/96 you might want to be prepared for connecting with a wire if wireless does not work reliably. Some people have no problem and some do have a problem."

Thanks for correcting me Wayne.   Wireless networks and all the gremlins involved probably make that a much safer recommendation than my blanket statement.    :)

mitch stl

« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2010, 01:37 am »
Mine surprised me and arrived at the office this afternoon. (It had been scheduled for Monday delivery.) So it looks like once Logitech said "go" they got the pre-orders out the door pronto.

I have 3 existing Squeezeboxes (SB3, Duet and Radio) and had already upgraded to server version 7.5 so was ready to go. It took only about 10 minutes to enter the required info and do the firmware update.

I've just finished syncing and volume matching my existing SB3/Lavry with the Touch so I can do some back-to-back comparison. I have to say that out of the box things are very close - a very impressive piece of equipment for $300!

mshan

« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2010, 02:37 am »
Are you saying analog output of Squeezebox Touch sounds very close to analog output of Lavry DA10 fed by Squeezebox 3?

stlblue

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2010, 03:17 am »
Will the Touch use the same PS as the SB3?

mitch stl

« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2010, 03:30 am »
Are you saying analog output of Squeezebox Touch sounds very close to analog output of Lavry DA10 fed by Squeezebox 3?

Yes - that is what I said. I spent about 3 hours comparing a variety of material tonight and was very impressed. Right now it is in the category that I have to pay very close attention; the differences seem very subtle. We'll see if that opinion changes over the next few days.  ;-)

As for the power supply, I believe the PS for the Touch is heftier as it has the USB port that needs to be considered.

Wayne1

« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2010, 01:34 pm »
Will the Touch use the same PS as the SB3?
The stock switcher for the SB3 is rated for 5 volts and 2 amps.

The new power supply that comes with the Touch is rated for 5 volts and 3 amps. If you are not using the USB section, you might be able to get away with a lower current PS.

In beta testing, it was found that some items did need more current than the USB spec allowed. It depends on what you plug into the Touch as to how much current it actually will need.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2010, 04:10 pm »
Yes - that is what I said. I spent about 3 hours comparing a variety of material tonight and was very impressed. Right now it is in the category that I have to pay very close attention; the differences seem very subtle. We'll see if that opinion changes over the next few days.  ;-)

As for the power supply, I believe the PS for the Touch is heftier as it has the USB port that needs to be considered.

That is good news.... and it confirms what the beta-testers have said.