DIY Dodd Buffer

sl_1800

Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #420 on: 12 May 2010, 11:43 pm »
I did not get my buffer finished today but I will have it playing by tomorrow evening.  Here are a few pics of my progress, sorry for the poor quality of these pics, cell phone.

ebag4

« Reply #421 on: 12 May 2010, 11:54 pm »
I did not get my buffer finished today but I will have it playing by tomorrow evening.  Here are a few pics of my progress, sorry for the poor quality of these pics, cell phone.

Looking good! Soon you will be singing the the praises of the Dodd Buffer, I know I am!

Best,
Ed

Mariusz

« Reply #422 on: 12 May 2010, 11:59 pm »
Looking good.
Hope to hear your impressions SOON.
 :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #423 on: 13 May 2010, 12:48 am »
Looking good.
 :thumb:
The knobs go in before the face plate.  :wink:  :duh:

Mariusz

« Reply #424 on: 13 May 2010, 12:58 am »
I am sure it was placed only for the photo shoot.
Rotating switches aren't even trimed yet.
But who am I to point fingers..... I got my problems which gave me nightmares.  :duh:

But Gary will surely bring me back on the ground ones he finds my screwups.  :oops: :oops:

Mariusz  :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #425 on: 13 May 2010, 01:11 am »
Mariusz
You can pointing at me if you like.  :wink:
We live .. we learn  :thumb:
I let out too much smoke on my DIY T-amp once  :duh:  :bawl: and until this day, I have not fig. out what I did wrong  :scratch: YET

Mariusz

« Reply #426 on: 13 May 2010, 01:17 am »
You can pointing at me if you like
Not a CHANCE.  :thumb:

:wink:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #427 on: 13 May 2010, 01:37 am »
Ok, just joined the crowd and ordered the DIY Buffer from Gary.  It will match my Battery PA Purpleheart faceplate!  WOOHOO!  :)

jtsnead

« Reply #428 on: 13 May 2010, 04:36 am »
Man I really want to hear one of these w/ my ClassDaudio amp,
compare to my SWL 9.0SE, anyone near MD, PA, DC? :eyebrows:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #429 on: 13 May 2010, 11:56 am »
Man I really want to hear one of these w/ my ClassDaudio amp,
compare to my SWL 9.0SE, anyone near MD, PA, DC? :eyebrows:

YGPM

sl_1800

« Reply #430 on: 13 May 2010, 07:10 pm »
It's finished and it works perfectly, I'm so pumped.  :D

I took some better pics for your viewing pleasure.

The little hole in the front is for the infrared receiver, which I didn't get yet so I may install a LED in that hole to indicate it's on so I won't leave it on by mistake and run my battery dead.

Also the wiring going to and from the volume pot is a little long and will be cut to proper length when I upgrade to the remote volume.

This was a really easy kit, or at least I felt it was, just closely follow the pics Gary has provided and everything should turn out good.

Next up a case for the battery and charger with a matching maple front.  Oh Gary, I need some more wood.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #431 on: 13 May 2010, 07:12 pm »
Looks great!

You need some bypass caps man.

ebag4

« Reply #432 on: 13 May 2010, 07:15 pm »
Nice job, very neat!

x2 on the bypass caps :thumb:.

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #433 on: 13 May 2010, 07:17 pm »
I know I've said it before but if you have $40 for the bypass caps DO IT.  Don't even think twice.  The difference is well worth it.  I'm just sayin'...

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #434 on: 13 May 2010, 07:24 pm »
Really nice work Steve! :thumb: :thumb: And it worked the first time! Now be sure and let us know wht you think of it.
Gary

sl_1800

« Reply #435 on: 14 May 2010, 02:39 am »
I was able to listen to the system some this evening, further listening will be required next week.  First a break down on my system.  Digital on Drobo played via iTunes on MacBook, USB to Music Streamer II 24/96 DAC, active crossover, solid state amps, Linkwitz Orion speakers tri-amped.

Now my only reason for wanting the Dodd buffer was to add switching so I could listen to other sources such as my turntable.  I believe the traditional thought process would be to think the buffer could only detract from the sound since there is now more circuitry in the signal path.  Perhaps it could be a plus because it offers a better impedance match between my DAC and active crossover, taking a strain off of both units.

After listening to several songs this evening I can say the buffer does not detract from the sound in any way.  In some ways I feel my second example is closer to the truth.  Some recordings seemed to flow better with the buffer in the path.

I have heard equipment that is at it's best with certain types of music and not so hot with others, the Dodd buffer is neutral in that it has no musical preference.  Everything from Opera to Nickleback sounded equally good.

Next will be a few more hours on the unit and a little tube rolling to see what I can bring out of it.

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #436 on: 14 May 2010, 02:54 am »
Steve, For $40 you can help it a bunch! :thumb: Platinums are the ticket! :drool:
gary

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #437 on: 14 May 2010, 06:06 pm »
What value Sonicap Platinums are everyone using for the bypass on the output caps?  I already have a pair of 0.1uF/400VDC Platinums from another project that I can use. 

ebag4

« Reply #438 on: 14 May 2010, 06:08 pm »
What value Sonicap Platinums are everyone using for the bypass on the output caps?  I already have a pair of 0.1uF/400VDC Platinums from another project that I can use.
Gary is shipping .01uF.

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #439 on: 14 May 2010, 06:13 pm »
Steve, For $40 you can help it a bunch! :thumb: Platinums are the ticket! :drool:
gary

Isn't that what I've been saying?   :duh: