Bicycling On-the-Road

AB

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #740 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:55 pm »
I went out this morning to do a set of mid season tune up style hill repeats.

Unfortunately my favorite hill is open range and the cows were hanging out in the road. On every lap I had to slow down and work my way through them. You never know what the calves might do so you really need to be careful. I've been run into and knocked over before.

It would have been fine but for my agenda - playing cowboy is always fun.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99132802
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2011, 09:58 pm by AB »

jmc207

« Reply #741 on: 14 Jul 2011, 07:03 pm »

Unfortunately my favorite hill is open range and the cows were hanging out in the road. On every lap I had to slow down and work my way through them. You never know what they calves might do so you really need to be careful. I've been run into and knocked over before.

Certainly a different kind of "working your way through traffic." :-)

AB

« Reply #742 on: 14 Jul 2011, 07:30 pm »

Certainly a different kind of "working your way through traffic." :-)

Funny, those were my exact thoughts while waving my arms and yelling. There's no vehicle traffic at all out there but instead we get cattle. I'll take the cows over the cars most days.

jonwb

« Reply #743 on: 14 Jul 2011, 08:17 pm »
That's pretty funny! Did you eat a burger when you were done? LOL

AB

« Reply #744 on: 15 Jul 2011, 01:22 am »
That's pretty funny! Did you eat a burger when you were done? LOL

No burger but a nice tenderloin.  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #745 on: 15 Jul 2011, 06:57 pm »
It has been months riding the Zipp 404. My first impressions made me noticed that these wheel sets were truly wide and of high quality. Mounting tires on them were extremely easy and can be done by hands. No tire levers.  They are fairly light much lighter than their published weight and robust.  The 88/188 hubs where very smooth and noisy sounding which is the sound of quality.

Riding impressions were all positive. It is a very stiff laterally and comfortable wheelset. It is very stable riding even on strong winds. It autocorrects itself. Keeping the momentum Is fairly easy and it felt fast on smooth tarmac. Braking is much better than my  Zipp 101 in dry weather. I have also ridden the wheels in a pouring rain and No brakes when they were wet.  Don't ride them in the rain or be very careful when you get caught in the rain.

Truly not sure if it was in fact the Zipp 404 wheel set, I find my self faster and keeping up with the group (big difference) however not leading the pack. :lol:

I maybe selling my Zipp 101 soon.  Hmmmm....

No problem Levi.  Been trying to get Jack on some tubulars for a while now too.  ;)

Looking forward to your ride report.  Please keep us posted.  Oh btw, it didn't happen without pictures!  Will lokk forward to those too.

Safe travels.

jackman

« Reply #746 on: 15 Jul 2011, 08:21 pm »
Your new Firecrest wheels are awesome.   :thumb:

There are several guys riding 404's and one guy with 303's in my group, but none are Firecrest.  They all love their Zipps.  Firecrest is supposed to handle better, be more aero, and have lower rolling resistance than the previous design.    The ones I've seen have aluminum brake tracks and yours are CF.   Nice~

Your bike is officially over the top!  From top to bottom, you put together a very cool ride.  Congrats! 

One more thing.  My friend crashed with his 303's (on a Willier Cento Uno) and pulled a spoke out of the rim, cracking the rim.  He sent it back to Zipp and they replaced it for free.  Not many companies would do that. 

Zipp and Enve are my two favorite wheel companies.  Those wheels look so cool on your Cervelo!  That bike is too fast looking for a slow, chubby dude like myself.  It would be like Chris Farley driging a Ferrari. 

jonwb

« Reply #747 on: 15 Jul 2011, 11:09 pm »
Yeah, that bike is BAD ASS!  :bowdown:

I love riding and I love gear, but I just couldn't imagine putting those kinds of dollars into my bicycle hobby.  Actually, I couldn't imagine my wife letting me put those kinds of dollars in to my bicycle hobby!  Sure would like to ride something like that tho!  Very nice Levi.

AB

« Reply #748 on: 15 Jul 2011, 11:38 pm »
Cool bike. Non drive side pic makes it look less cool. 8)

Or you did that on purpose so we wouldn't get all freaked out by the Di2.

Levi

« Reply #749 on: 16 Jul 2011, 12:51 am »
Thanks guys for the complements.  I figured I owe you guys a quick impressions of the Zipp 404. 

I am running all 7900 components and SRAM Red brakes.  No Di2.  Yet.  I tried them and I think they are very nice.

Have a Good Ride!

Cool bike. Non drive side pic makes it look less cool. 8)

Or you did that on purpose so we wouldn't get all freaked out by the Di2.

Levi

« Reply #750 on: 16 Jul 2011, 12:57 am »
My friend also had a crack on his 2011 Zipp 303 clinchers.  He didn't crash his bike, at least that's what he reported.  The crack originated near the valve stem.  Zipp replaced them no problem.

Your new Firecrest wheels are awesome.   :thumb:

There are several guys riding 404's and one guy with 303's in my group, but none are Firecrest.  They all love their Zipps.  Firecrest is supposed to handle better, be more aero, and have lower rolling resistance than the previous design.    The ones I've seen have aluminum brake tracks and yours are CF.   Nice~

Your bike is officially over the top!  From top to bottom, you put together a very cool ride.  Congrats! 

One more thing.  My friend crashed with his 303's (on a Willier Cento Uno) and pulled a spoke out of the rim, cracking the rim.  He sent it back to Zipp and they replaced it for free.  Not many companies would do that. 

Zipp and Enve are my two favorite wheel companies.  Those wheels look so cool on your Cervelo!  That bike is too fast looking for a slow, chubby dude like myself.  It would be like Chris Farley driging a Ferrari. 

sandbagger

« Reply #751 on: 19 Jul 2011, 04:48 pm »

LadyDog

« Reply #752 on: 21 Jul 2011, 03:08 am »
Got some new kicks for one of mine bikes.  Still need to adjust the bars and make some minor adjustments, but enjoy............

jackman

« Reply #753 on: 21 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm »
Jeff, you have some sick looking bikes and that Cyfac is one of the best.  I love the color and the way those rims look with that frame.  Have you been doing any riding?  I rode in the heat yesterday but it was extremely hot.  Haven't downloaded the Garmin data but it must have been over 100F on that blacktop in the sun.  I found it very difficult to breathe and could only manage 22 miles.  Not much of a workout but it was good to get my legs moving a bit. 

Cheers,
J

Levi

« Reply #754 on: 21 Jul 2011, 01:07 pm »
Bike looks clean and fast. Congrats!

When you level the bars, it looks like the shifters may have to move as well. I surely appreciate the clean racy look. :thumb:

Expensive Bike!

Got some new kicks for one of mine bikes.  Still need to adjust the bars and make some minor adjustments, but enjoy............

jackman

« Reply #755 on: 21 Jul 2011, 02:13 pm »
Bike looks clean and fast. Congrats!

When you level the bars, it looks like the shifters may have to move as well. I surely appreciate the clean racy look. :thumb:

Expensive Bike!

I didn't notice it at first but I think you are correct.  When he moves the bars forward, the shifters will be very "low" on the front of the bars.  Jeff is Old-School and this is a position I've seen in old pro photos (from clips of TDF years ago).  It could be he prefers this position.  It seemed like riders favored the brakes very low on the bars in those days.  It appears modern riders have them higher on the bars and ride more on the hoods than they did in the past. 

I ride a lot in the drops and SRAM Red makes it easy to shift from the drop position.  My bars are not set up aggressively but I plan to lower them because they are a bit high.  I also just installed a K-Edge chain catcher.  It's lightweight and easty to install.  A cheap way to protect your CF frame from chain damage.    http://www.acecosportgroup.com/shop/k-edge-chain-catchers/road/road-braze-on-chain-catcher.html

Too hot to ride around here anyway these days.   I may spin on my trainer today because it's way too hot outside. 

jackman

« Reply #756 on: 21 Jul 2011, 02:26 pm »
Here is an article on the chain catcher.  For $40, and 10g weight it's a cheap insurance policy.  I don't have a problem with my chain coming off the small ring but I've experienced it once on a hill climb when I switched my FD from big to small ring (and chain was cross-chained).  It caused my chain to lock up and jump the small ring.  My FD was also not adjusted properly at the time.  I had to stop the bike and put the chain back on.  This device prevents that sort of thing from happening and protects your frame. 

It takes about ten minutes to install. 

http://ironman.com/training/sponsors/jay-prasuhn-reviews-an-innovative-product-that-could-save-your-next-race-performance#axzz1SkXCMORq

Levi

« Reply #757 on: 21 Jul 2011, 03:25 pm »
Thanks for the reminder.  Did mean this?  :lol:

jackman

« Reply #758 on: 21 Jul 2011, 04:10 pm »
Yep!

Levi

« Reply #759 on: 21 Jul 2011, 04:29 pm »
Ha ha ha.  New school school of thought. I may have a few more speed weapons. ;)