Bicycling On-the-Road

gme109

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #400 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:33 pm »
Since there was a lot of activity in the "Bicycling Off-Road" thread, thought I'd put up an on-the-road version....

Road-bikers...what was your last ride?  Mine was a solo ride from Closter, NJ to Bear Mountain and back...56.58miles, 3h16m ride time, 17.2mph avg, 1890ft total ascent...

Why would anyone in their right mind, ride a bike on the road? With all the distracted drivers yakking on their cell phones, you're just asking for trouble. I haven't been on my road bike since I bought my first mt. bike, 20 some years ago.

Levi

« Reply #401 on: 22 Dec 2010, 10:14 pm »
Agreed.  It is risky riding bikes on the road specially with people who don't like to share the road.  Here in New York, we have lots of bike paths which are totally isolated from cars.  Last year, DOT had @6 million usd awarded for the creation of bike paths and bike lanes.  NYC is almost bike friendly city ranked among 10 in the Nation. 

jackman

« Reply #402 on: 22 Dec 2010, 11:58 pm »
I was going to give a smartass reply but I have to agree that riding around a lot of car traffic is no picnic.  My road group rides in the early morning on the weekends and we ride counry roads west of my home because they are pretty isolated from car traffic.  It's pretty cool because during the summer, there are tons of bikes in this area.  Cars have to be very aware of the bikes in the area because there are so many. 

I also have bright lights and neon clothing. Not much for fashion, but I try not to blend in with the road around me.  Even with all of the precautions, I'm usually good for one close call per  month.  Most of the close calls are with cars that actually see me and my group and still choose to disregard the "3 foot rule".  I'm happy to remind the cars of the law, and have  offered a few drivers a personal conversation outside the car but haven't had any takers.  I'm glad because I can't imagine trying to tangle with a driver while wearing road bicycling shoes and spandex.  Not a pretty sight.   :lol:

BikeWNC

« Reply #403 on: 23 Dec 2010, 12:43 am »
I got out for a short 40 min hill climb on my mtb today.  Had to hike through some snow at one point.  I'm not going to ride on frozen ice/snow on pavement.  I value my shoulders/clavicles too much.  We're expecting another good bit of snow this weekend.  I'm ready for Spring.

Folsom

« Reply #404 on: 26 Dec 2010, 06:13 pm »
I had a man try and do a hit and run on me I think. At first it seemed like a scar tactic but when I think about it, it sure seems like he wanted to clip my handle bars.

I was going down a one way street with two lanes. I had turned onto it from an alleyway that is halfway down a block from a light.

When I came to the next intersection I knew that the light behind me (I had looked earlier) was releasing one oncoming car but it was a far ways off. To my right was a green two door Accord (you might be gathering why I have a description of it) waiting to turn right onto the one way. It seemed to have time to go before I reached the intersection but that old pause some cars give that put a person on a bicycle, on edge... it was very short compared to those that have thrown eggs though.

Right after I passed the intersection I hear the GA (green Accord) punch it from the get go. This was not an after the fact of passing me did I notice the speed, this was 4K+rpm's preceding our interaction.

Let me explain something about Missoula. They plow the arterials but not the bike lanes. We are lucky if they melt on their own time. This left me occupying a bit closer to the right wheel track which I should have been occupying but it is habit to try and be over to the right (or left on one ways). Usually I occupy the right wheel track if the area has parked cars and there is just not
enough room for every body (cars in my lane and the opposite flow on the other side, often at the Hip Strip which is four lane).

The car came closer than any other car I have not made contact with while riding. I thought something might be up when I heard the engine but considered the amount of distance by the car back at the light so there was room. I was suspicious and anticipating something stupid. Well I got it. He continued to fly down the street awfully fast but leveled out a bit a few blocks down and hit a red light around 4 blocks down. I did not have time to catch up to him at the light on my low geared winter ex-downhill rigid fixie but the guy pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store I was headed too.

I had to wait a light cycle at the light he stopped at but it took a bit before he got out of his car (hiding?) and I went into the parking lot. How do I handle this? Do I do something devious to his car? Hm but then he might just drive around looking for me - not the kind of thing I want to promote of some big hate circle. Well I decided to leave a note that said some to the effect,

"You could have killed or seriously injured me on my bike a few minutes ago. The roads are slick, you gunned it, forcing me toward ice. I am being with cheer to leave a note instead of"

That was as far as I got, but was going to say, "car damage, but remember not everyone is as nice or skilled on a bicycle." My adrenaline was certainly still high, but the man walked out before I finished the note.

I approached him saying sir is that your green car there to which he said yes. I did my best to keep a calm manner. It went something like this.

Me: "Sir you could of seriously injured me a few minutes ago on my bicycle, I could of hit my head, anything"

Him: "You where forcing me into the middle of the road where there was another car"

(not true, he entered a lane I already occupied at an opportunistic time so it would look like he got into a cram but the car behind him either had not made it close enough or slowed down when it noticed something was fishy, will elaborate later)

Me: "Sir the sides of the road are icing, I WAS NOT DOING ANYTHING, I could of really been hurt"

Him: I think he said something but what exactly I am not sure, again I was just sensing attitude of 'screw this guy who rides a bike I hope he dies right now so he will stop talking'

Me: "Man I am talking to you instead of doing something to your car"  (I have a shtick where I do not want people in cars feeling like people on bicycle are free targets that never fight back so they can push them around plus more importantly I wanted to bring his attention to what was in front of him, that I was being very level headed - even though I was shaky because my life was within a couple of inches of potentially being ended or drastically changed - and trying to level with him like real humans are capable of doing)

Him
: "If you touched my car I would of taken you apart" (wow, that was like a slam in my face that I had not expected to encounter when I was trying to be responsible about the situation)

Me: "Man I am not doing anything to your car" (he had the demeanor where he wanted me to invoke a situation where he got to 'take me apart' - oh and he was a tall dude that was certainly not all skin and bone so a fight would of been really unpleasant) "you could of really hurt me"

Him: He starts walking away now that I know he would like to be physical, wants harm to me

Me: Raising my voice as he walks away, feeling awkward because there is little I can say to someone who just flat out wants me hurt like I am a terrorist or something; voted for the president that he probably does not like (not true I do not vote for dem/rep) "sir I am not doing anything to your car but you could of seriously hurt me"

Looking back on it I realized the car that came through at the light was parallel to me a ways down the road after all the interaction and I never noticed it in the far lane during any of it. The guy used it as an excuse. He did not say anything like do not touch my car, he said it like it would of been an exchange you touch my car and I take you apart. It is not like he really ran away, and he was willing to talk long enough to threaten me. This leaves me with an eerie feeling something bad will happen on my bicycle now, to which there is no civil way to discuss or work forward from someone getting maimed.

He wanted me to be hurt - he had serious conviction to what he was saying like it was war - what could I have done? When do I get to hold his life in my hands? If I do something to his car it just starts a bad situation, but I have done nothing. All he learned was he gets to push bicyclists around especially since he does not even feel the need to defend himself with some sort of guilt as he was just looking for a way to mess with me but in a way that would be hard to be construed as anything but wanting the most accidental looking harm to me happen. Essentially he had his plea to a higher power ready and he was good to go.

Even getting in a fight with him would of been awful and even if I hurt the dude he could just drive around looking for me again. This really irks me to deal with what appears to be someone that chooses to fight their problems with violent efforts first and knows they have no interest in changing their mind in light of new information. Dealing with someone who just wants others to die as a first resort to his problems is scary. Not having regard for human life is fascinating but the only way to combat it is to either control them or kill them and I see neither happening. I mean short of getting some miracle heart grow juice that mimics what happened to the Grinch That Stole Christmas I see no other ideas.

Anyways Happy Holidays. Ha... nice awful story for you all. By the way it is very common for vehicles to be much ruder and honk more during winter. I am not sure if it is because bicycles have to stay clear of the ice so they appear more obtrusive to something they have the right to anyways? or just that people want an excuse to be rude (or in some cases harm).
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2010, 08:12 pm by Destroyer of Smiles. »

jackman

« Reply #405 on: 26 Dec 2010, 10:01 pm »
Destroyer of Smiles,

I am sorry to hear about what happened to you.  Some of the auto drivers out there really scare me and I've had my share of close calls and scrapes with rude drivers.  I've actually been in situations very similar to the one you describe in your post, and follow one simple rule (okay, maybe two rules):

Don't provoke a physical confrontation unless you are ready and willing to fight the other person.  Oh, and don't get into fights after the initial incident because it's not worth it!

I admit that I have stared down drivers, smiled and shook my head after some near misses but I no longer pound on a hood or roof of a car, squirt the windshield with water (from my water bottle) and challenge drivers to fight in the street.  It's a losing battle because you might get beat up, and if you beat the other guy up, you might wind up in jail.  Even worse, you beat him up and he gets even by running you over a mile down the road.  There is no happy ending to this story, so you are better off just smiling, shaking your head and watching out for idiot drivers. 

Good luck!

J

Levi

« Reply #406 on: 26 Dec 2010, 10:05 pm »
It is good to know that you are riding cold weather!  You did the right thing controlling yourself and preventing further altercation. I would write a letter to your City Mayor about making the roads more cyclist friendly specially during snow season.  Check with your local board who can make better bike lanes etc. Keep riding!

jackman

« Reply #407 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:00 am »
This is my ride for the winter...

I set it up properly (raised seat and lowered bars a bit) and oiled the chain.  It's a club model that was used in a home for a year.  I should say "used" because I could not find any signs of wear.  This bike is a tank with a 43lb flywheel and overall weight of over 120lbs.  It is super stable and has a very solid feel.  I hope to overcome boredom of riding indoors soon. 

Does anyone have any indoor DVD recommendations?  I need to get something soon because riding is very boring.  Need distractions!

Cheers,

Jack

Levi

« Reply #408 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:26 am »
Nice!  At least you are riding.  ;)

Due to snow and salt on the ground, I use my MTB onroad.  25-30miles every other day.

jackman

« Reply #409 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:31 am »
Nice!  At least you are riding.  ;)

Due to snow and salt on the ground, I use my MTB onroad.  25-30miles every other day.

I envy you.  I don't mind riding in the snow or rain but it's been super cold and windy in Chicago and the roads I normally ride are very dangerous.  Indoor riding is my best bet for at least a couple months.  My wife can also ride the spin bike so it's hopefully going to get some action.  The build quality is very good, it's a club model, and I need to get in the habbit of riding every day.  I'm going for a ride right now.  I only have one DVD (forgot I  had a Spinervals that came with my Kurt Kinetic).  It's not the best DVD but it beats nothing. 

Take care,

J

giantsteps

« Reply #410 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:36 am »

Here's my state of the art bike.

Frank

LadyDog

« Reply #411 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:48 am »
Hey Jack,
See you found one.  Looks like a nice find.

I'll see if I kept any of my TDF, PR, etc, dvd's that I can send your way.  For some reason I think they went to Goodwill though.

I usually ended up watching tv to pass my time.

Enjoy.

Regards,
Jeff

jackman

« Reply #412 on: 4 Jan 2011, 01:00 pm »
Hey Jack,
See you found one.  Looks like a nice find.

I'll see if I kept any of my TDF, PR, etc, dvd's that I can send your way.  For some reason I think they went to Goodwill though.

I usually ended up watching tv to pass my time.

Enjoy.

Regards,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, you are very generous.  I fell asleep last night and did not get much time on the bike.  Wrapping up some work stuff and hope to get a half hour in today.  It's not bad but I need to be more mentally tough!

Cheers,

J

Levi

« Reply #413 on: 6 Jan 2011, 03:11 am »
The trails are still frozen.  Some ice on road but not bad using MTB.
I decided to go the opposite direction away from NYC to check out our local single track.   Cunningham Park is still unrideable. 

Pile of snow at the trailhead

PhilNYC

« Reply #414 on: 6 Jan 2011, 01:06 pm »
I recently registered for Tour of the Battenkill...complete insanity... :duh:

http://www.tourofthebattenkill.com/

Levi

« Reply #415 on: 6 Jan 2011, 01:26 pm »
Congrats Phil.  64 and 82 miles is doable.

It looks like the category for my age bracket were closed already.  If you need a training buddy, let me know. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #416 on: 6 Jan 2011, 07:09 pm »
Congrats Phil.  64 and 82 miles is doable.

It looks like the category for my age bracket were closed already.  If you need a training buddy, let me know.

It's 64 miles, with 4000+ft of climbing and 30% of the course is dirt... :duh:

JoshK

« Reply #417 on: 6 Jan 2011, 07:17 pm »
ouch!  Sounds like cyclecross.  I'd die.

Levi

« Reply #418 on: 7 Jan 2011, 05:34 am »
Quote from: PhilNYC
It's 64 miles, with 4000+ft of climbing and 30% of the course is dirt... :duh:

Hey Phil, you can do it no without a doubt.  My recent bike ride to Bear Mountain has a total of 6,900+ feet of elevation gain.  That is starting from Queens.  It is much easier on a bike that weighs 15-16lbs.  Make sure you have the proper rear cassette gearing.

PhilNYC

« Reply #419 on: 7 Jan 2011, 10:28 am »
Hey Phil, you can do it no without a doubt.  My recent bike ride to Bear Mountain has a total of 6,900+ feet of elevation gain.  That is starting from Queens.  It is much easier on a bike that weighs 15-16lbs.  Make sure you have the proper rear cassette gearing.

I know I can finish....but the question is how fast?  The 45yr+ cat 5 winner last year finished in about 3 hours....