Point and Shoot recommendations (it's life or death this time)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Yes, it's yet another thread about equipment dedicated to photographic blasphemy.
Apologies for that. Ok, well not really.  :wink:

For days now, I've been perusing the net looking for a P&S for my wife. My eyes have long since glazed over. Seems there are WAY too many choices with too many similarities between them to distinguish the real differences.

So I'm asking for your help.

We're looking for a unit that will spend it's entire life in my wifes purse. It will be taken out occasionally to shoot pictures at family functions, the zoo, birthday parties and Easter egg hunts. Most likely will never be mounted on a tripod, nor be used by anybody other than my wife. She has an appreciation (and overwhelming desire) for quality photographs of the children and family, however will be relying for 99% of that quality from the "auto" feature of the camera.

A few noteworthy items;
- Good performance in low light (think of birthday parties with candle lighting)
- Small(ish) size. Doesn't have to be "pocket", but a full blown DSLR isn't going to cut it. She's not the kind of gal that uses a satchel as a purse afterall.
- Ease of use. A subjective phrase based on the competence level of the user I understand, but something to keep in mind.
- Price below $250 would be nice. Obviously recommendations that are lower are better, and encouraged highly.
- "AA" battery would be GREAT, but not required.
- Ability to accept accessory lenses not necessary.
- Ability to shoot video.......meh......Might be fun to play with (once), but I doubt we'd be impressed enough with the quality to stop using the camcorder so such a feature would be wasted. 

I've looked at the Canon PowerShot A590 IS which is located > HERE <.
I've actually looked at it twice, one of those times was more than a passing glance. Almost could have been considered a stare, so I suppose that means I like it more than everything els I've seen.
But the little flippy trick the LCD does screams of "cheap, fragile, gimmick" and don't see where the feature would be useful. The $110 price tag seems nice though.

Any suggestions, or links to review sites (specific to P&S) to help me wade through the fluff would be most appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Bob

mshan

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=272333 (OP last edited 11/24/09, though)

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1

Compare this and other Cannon  pocket cameras  http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Then get a form fitting leather case for the camera to protect it in the purse.

Doublej

www.dpreview.com

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408budgetgroup/

Yeah it's a bit old for a review but it has the Canon you are considering.

I think a compact superzoom is much more versatile and only a bit more money.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209grouplongzoom/

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Hello Bob,

How is this for $199 shipped?  http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=122&utm_id=17&ref=pricegrabber2&utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CNPSSX120ISK&sku=CNPSSX120ISK
10x optical zoom is pretty useful and the picture quality is reported to be good.  I have bought from Buydig.com and they are quick and reliable.

EDIT:  I just noticed that Adorama has a refurb kit with case and 4GB card for 178.96. http://www.adorama.com/ICASX120RA.html

Or just the camera (refurbished) for 149.95.
http://www.adorama.com/ICASX120R.html

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Nice.  8) You guys are cool. Thanks to all for the time spent posting all the links.
I've shown Tina the specifics, given her my "expertise" (haha) and the unit she chose is the Canon SD980 package from  >> Adorama <<. The site was a recommendation from Mr. Rockwell.

If I can pry the piece from her fingers, I'll show you the pics it's capable of. They seem most impressive as shown on Ken's site.

Thanks again, pics soon.  :eyebrows:
Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
Glad to hear it - those Canon SD series cameras are I think the slickest pocket cameras out there. Got one for my Mom last year and my niece this past Christmas. Ergonomic, powerful, over-engineered. More features than you can shake a stick at. A little pricey for what appears to be a little pocket camera, but very nice. My old Nikon Coolpix 950 is a sweet camera with a great lens, but these have come such a long way - better zoom, much smaller, movies, and of course more resolution.

Also give the video a try - not a camcorder, but for point and shoot it can be a nice feature. I was in a small Swiss town (Zug) a few years ago on the perfect contract job, with my Canon S2 IS. It looked like a tiny DSLR,

but it had 12x zoom, 5 Mpixels, and could shoot 5 min of video. I am walking towards an intersection taking some pictures, and coming down this cobblestone street are hundreds of inline skaters, on some kind of skating tour! There were smooth paved roads in the town also, but this amazed me. Luckily I could get the effect of this unexpected event on video. I need to dig that video up and post it on utube!

SET Man

Hey!

I wouldn't leave those from Sony and Panasonic off the list. :wink:

Not many cams these days take AA batts. Only a few entry ones I think. It would be nice but the rechargeable one do last longer than AA... of course until you run out of power without charger and can't find a place to charge it  :icon_lol: Well, a spare batt is a good idea and remember to charge it.

If possible you two should go check them out in person and see which feel best in hand and while you using it. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

tesseract

I have a Canon A590 IS. It takes great pics with the auto feature, and the IS function is very helpful. I have shown many people pics taken from this camera and lots of them want to know what camera I used. It has even impressed several amateur photographers. You really can't go wrong with this one, the only downside is it is a little larger than the others. Lithium AA batteries last a looooong time in this one.

Ignore the megapixel war, the IC and the lens are what is important. Canon makes both in house. Really about anything they make will do you good, The SD980 IS is a great choice. Canons may cost a little more, but you will soon see why.

mjcmt

OK, this suggestion would fit w/ your low light, tight shooting quarters, but it is a little pricey. I'm throwing it out as others may be interested.

The Panasonic DMC-LX3. It is really a Leica D-Lux4 w/ a Panasonic badge. Panasonic makes Leica's electronics and Leica makes Panasonics lens on these models. Stunning optics, wide lens for close quarters, low noise electronics for low light, and the Panny is $300 less because it doesn't have the Leica badge.

DMC-LX3
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/model.DMC-LX3K_11002_7000000000000005702

D-Lux4
http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/compact_cameras/d-lux_4/

nathanm

Re: Point and Shoot recommendations (it's life or death this time)
« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2010, 03:59 pm »
First of all I hope you and your family are safe, Bob.   I'm just trying to figure out where the "life or death" part comes in.  I thought maybe the zoo could present some danger, like if a gorilla escaped you'd want the right camera to disable it with, like one that shoots mace from the flash tube or something.  I haven't seen anything like that on the market, though.  Maybe it could be a life-threatening easter egg hunt, if the participants were armed.  I still don't think a point and shoot camera will offer any protection against deadly forces.  I suppose a photograph could exonerate you if you were unjustly charged with a crime.  I am not sure what the legality issues are given that EXIF data can be tampered with.  Perhaps a 35mm film camera would be better as it offers more forensic value.  Just a guess.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2010, 04:12 pm »
Nathan,

It's obviously clear that you are not married.  Or you would know.

It's life or death to Bob if he screws this up for his wife.  :whip:  :eyebrows: :wink:

BobM

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2010, 04:27 pm »
I had the same situation about a year or so ago. I got one of the smallest, flattest Canon's and she is very, very happy. It's all about ease of use and the amount of space it takes up in the purse. Nothing else. The Canon's do a great job.

nathanm

« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2010, 04:44 pm »
Oh, I see what you mean now!  I totally forgot about that part.  That reminds me; years ago my cousin was partially decapitated by his wife .  They say she missed the aorta by a few millimeters or it would have been game over.  I didn't see the connection until now, but apparently when she learned the new camera he bought her lacked Fireworks Mode she went berserk.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2010, 10:03 pm »
Bingo.
Rim nailed it.  :lol:

ETA for the new piece is Thursday. I'll snap a few for ya.

Thank again guys. I think this one is going to be a nice unit.
Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
The unit came the other day, today was the first chance I've had to play with it.
First disclaimer; I've not read the instruction book and I've not not searched the menus. I did get far enough through the menu to find the "fine" setting. At that point, I headed out into the yard. Spring is beginning to 'sprung' and the local flora is emerging.
Out of 20 or so pictures I took, they're all focus on what I wasn't focused on.  :scratch:
Seems the unit doesn't like near macro, or at least on the idiot auto setting I was using. Of course I'm using it in a way the wife won't be. As I mentioned in my first post, the camera will be hidden away in the wifes purse and only used for those spur of the moment times when a camera (of higher quality than a cel can provide) is needed. The main purpose will be when she's at a girls night out or family function and the Nikon D40 is too bulky.

Anyway... I'm not too impressed with the results today. One thing I did notice was the lack of being able to see the screen on a bright summer day. I thought the pictures were turning out ok. It wasn't until I got back to the computer that I discovered they're all fuzzy. None of the pictures are worth keeping, but I thought I'd post a few. Turns out, Photobucket doesn't like the Jpeg format the Canon save the files as.  :scratch: If there was a decent picture or two, I'd go through the effort of appeasing Photobucket. As it is, none are worth the time. Maybe another day....After I've learned the camera better.

First impressions of the unit are positive, don't get me wrong.
Thanks to all for the advice. Big time.  :green:

more later......

Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
Sounds like something is off - possibly moisture on the lens?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Possibly. But unlikely.
Using the circumstantial evidence at hand, I'd venture a guess that it's the dumbass in control of the shutter.
Just a guess.  :wink:

Bob

JohnR

Take a pic of the house or something in daylight. That will give you about as good as you're going to get.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Ok, good idea. But first I need to save in a format that makes Photobucket happy. Haven't been able to find where to change the setting in the menu.

Bob