Point and Shoot recommendations (it's life or death this time)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Read the manual, especially if you are new to Canon.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Good advice for any piece of modern electronics. I read the quick start guide last night (seemed like the best place to start), but didn't find answers to the questions I had. I did learn a few neat things. The most interesting was the shapes you "draw" on the touch screen with your finger perform different tasks.
Almost like sign language. Cool.

Bob

srb

Bob,

Without my reading your manual.....

The autofocus usually defaults to the center of the picture (and there is usually a small square or circle to indicate it, overlayed on the preview in the screen).

If there are objects of different distances within the frame, you may need to set the focus by partially depressing the shutter button with the object you want in focus in the center of the screen, then moving the camera to frame the picture before releasing the shutter.

For closeups, there is usually a Macro mode that must be selected before you can take an in-focus picture of anything closer than a few feet.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer

For closeups, there is usually a Macro mode that must be selected before you can take an in-focus picture of anything closer than a few feet.

Steve, thank you very much for the reply. I think this sentence sums it up. That's another area in the menu I've yet to find. I've discovered there are multiple menus in various locations. Common sense does not prevail.  :lol:

Bob

srb

Bob,

There are a lot of options and settings for digital cameras (in comparison to say, an iPod), and therefore it takes awhile to learn which settings you need and where they are.

Once you learn them, FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T SWITCH CAMERA MODELS (or worse yet, brands)!

Or you will be starting again back in square one.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Funny you mention switching brands Steve. Our main camera is a Nikon D40. It's has one menu, and everything is "right there" so to speak. Much easier for the average dork to fumble his way through than the Canon is.  :lol:

Fortunately for me, after the initial "gotta play with the new toy phase", I'll probably never touch the Canon again. That'll be wifey's.
Mine is the D40.  8)

Bob

srb

Fortunately for me, after the initial "gotta play with the new toy phase", I'll probably never touch the Canon again. That'll be wifey's.

Don't forget to give her her owner's manual!

Steve

droht

I'm sure it is tough going from a DSLR with lots of buttons and dials for settings to a touchscreen point and shoot.  Defnitely some "getting used to" curve there.

As far as macro shots go Bob, just press the flower graphic on the dial on the back of the camera.  If the flower shows up on the screen you are in macro mode.  Press it again to go back to standard mode. 

TONEPUB

Why not make it a shopping expedition for your wife and let her pick one out herself?  Women love to shop.  If you aren't going to use it, what does it matter what she buys?  Honestly, they are all a lot more similar than diff. in that price range.  No matter what she comes home with, she'll be able to take good pictures with.

And all the stuff that everyone here thinks is critical, may not be to her.  Most people (male or female) put the damn thing on P and just snap away.

Analysis paralysis is setting in...

srb

Why not make it a shopping expedition for your wife and let her pick one out herself?

A little late to the thread?  Probably because the camera was purchased a week ago.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Yea, what he said.  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Re: Point and Shoot recommendations (it's life or death this time)
« Reply #31 on: 14 Apr 2010, 12:22 am »
Well..... I thought I'd take Johns advice and shoot some photos around the house. Haven't been home during "the golden hour" in a couple weeks. There are taken after the sun has set and things are staring to get dim. Granted, not the best time to show off a new camera.
But, since I told you I would, here we are.  :wink:

Ok, right off the bat, I lied to you. This one was taken last week. It's the only one I took (last week) that wasn't fuzzy, but didn't feel it was worth posting solo. This is the only one taken with the sun above the horizon.

Redbud,

Forsythia (close)

Forsythia (far)

Sumdamntree

Bobcat? Um...No.
Silly, but seemed cute. Make your own joke about "kitties" and lubrication.  :eyebrows:

low.pfile

« Reply #32 on: 14 Apr 2010, 01:19 am »
Glad you are having fun with your (wife's) new toy!

A couple of things. Canon's P&S tend to overexpose. your first 5 photos demonstrate this. When you get a chance to explore the menu find the Exposure Comp section and dial in -1/3 or even -2/3. even helps with interior pics. I'd set it for -1/3 and leave it for good--deeper colors less blown highlights. Every Canon P&S I've had (5) you need to be in "P" mode to use exposure compensation. AUTO mode does not allow this.

I can see from the images posted that the ISO is set fairly high. you can see it in the shadows of the blades of grass and leaves. If you look at the EXIF from any of these photos it may just say 'Auto'.  Of course you know shooting under bright sunlight you need to dial that down to 80 or 100 ISO. Surprised the camera shot at such high ISO.

your cat shot, surprisingly is the best exposure, even with the flash. Dark blacks and good color.

Cheers,
Ed

low.pfile

« Reply #33 on: 14 Apr 2010, 03:07 am »
EDIT----I'll take a few pics to show default AUTO vs using Exp comp on my older SD800 as a comparison that default on P&S Canons are usually overexposed. And your camera should meet and exceed my 3 year old P&S Elph.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2010, 05:00 am by low.pfile »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 14 Apr 2010, 02:14 pm »
Hey cool!
I'm always up for some advice. Thanks Ed.
Bob

low.pfile

« Reply #35 on: 17 Apr 2010, 12:15 am »
Walking between buildings at work today I saw some flowers that looked like they'd work for a sample shot. The goal was to show that Canon P&S usually overexpose. So dialing in minus Exposure Compensation helps this. Shot mid day high sun--less then optimal lighting but matches Bob's. No award winning images, just sample shots....

Here is Auto Mode, Auto ISO. Metering is on Evaluative(aka Matrix) Results: Extremely blown out highlights.

Below is ISO 100 with -2/3 Exp Comp...still blown highlights

Below is ISO 100 with -1 Exp Comp

Usually I default the camera to only -1/3 but in bright sun sometimes you need more. High overhead sun is one of the worst situations especially with people shots. Note the lack of noise/grain in these ISO 100 images. I can get grain similar to Bobs shots by using ISO 400. So if possible try not to use AUTO ISO for outdoor bright light photos.

Full set of pics here [link]

Photos above are with my SD800 IS which is two generations older than Bob's cam but similar level--and my work beater.

srb

« Reply #36 on: 17 Apr 2010, 12:53 am »
Great examples.  Thanks!

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 17 Apr 2010, 01:56 am »
Terrific Ed, thank you so very much for taking the time to do that. It does so much more to see "A","B","C" together as opposed to hearing how it's supposed to be different, yet better.
Most appreciated.   :thumb:

Time for me to borrow the camera(s) again.
Bob