Bi-amping is a good thing?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Bi-amping is a good thing?
« on: 14 Mar 2010, 04:16 pm »
I have finally gotten around to setting up my speakers bi-amped and have realized a very nice, fuller and more rounded sound. The mids and low mids that were absent before have all been accounted for. So if anyone is new like I..Bi-amping is a good thing!! :drool:

toobluvr

Re: Bi-amping is a good thing?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2010, 04:27 pm »
Active or passive?

Identical or different amps?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2010, 04:34 pm »
A/V Receiver- Sony STR DH800....I'm guessing ACTIVE???

gerald porzio

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2010, 04:43 pm »
It ain't active unless you're using electronic Xovers.

mjosef

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2010, 06:18 pm »
I'm guessing ACTIVE

Instead of...guessing. Gather information thus no need to guess. The website linked can set you free.
http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

toobluvr

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2010, 06:27 pm »
Excellent article that even a non technocrat like me can understand.

Free at last!    8)

Thanks!     :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2010, 06:57 pm »
Thank you....truly a game changing tweak for me...great article.

mjosef

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2010, 07:02 pm »
My answer to your thread title would be...Yeap. Affirmative, when done right. Its like once you been, you just can't go back.  :thumb:

toobluvr

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2010, 07:09 pm »
My answer to your thread title would be...Yeap. Affirmative, when done right. Its like once you been, you just can't go back.  :thumb:

What is your definition of "done right"?   Active with outboard x-over?

And I assume tubes on top, SS on bottom....of course.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2010, 07:45 pm »
And I assume tubes on top, SS on bottom....of course.

Are you saying tube amplification for top freqs. and Solid State for the low freqs. Still new to the
language of this hobby. :eyebrows:

toobluvr

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2010, 07:51 pm »

Correct.

mjosef

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:01 pm »
What is your definition of "done right"?   Active with outboard x-over?

Yeap, gotta' be outboard crossover. I tried the 'passive' way with the stock speaker crossover in place, and though it had some more punch, going all the way direct from amp to driver, was a whole other ball game. It takes some DIY skill, having to open up the speaker bypass or remove the installed crossover, have a second(or third) stereo amp, and of course the electronic crossover.
So far I like the results of tubes on the mid/hi, with SS on the bottom. Tried SS on the mid/hi, but didn''t have that...umm...'glowing' body that tubes bring in spades. But then again, I don't own any fancy SS (or even tube amps) amps, so maybe there are good SS amps out there that can do that magic thing on midrange that tubes seem to own.
On the other hand tube bass can be very nice too...different to SS, more bouncy(?) and 'meatier'.
All a matter of taste, right... :lol:

K Shep

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:02 pm »
I have finally gotten around to setting up my speakers bi-amped and have realized a very nice, fuller and more rounded sound. The mids and low mids that were absent before have all been accounted for. So if anyone is new like I..Bi-amping is a good thing!! :drool:
A/V Receiver- Sony STR DH800....I'm guessing ACTIVE???

eclein,

Please explain the amplifier you're using in addition to your Sony receiver.  Bi-amping is not bi-wiring.

srb

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:05 pm »
eclein,

Please explain the amplifier you're using in addition to your Sony receiver.  Bi-amping is not bi-wiring.

The Sony has a pair of (unused) rear surround amplifiers that can also be used for passive biamplification of the front speakers.

Steve

toobluvr

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:07 pm »
eclein,

That AV receiver of his is multi-channel -- 7 I think.  So I assume he is running a separate amp channel to each pair of binding posts, but I dunno for sure.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:29 pm »
Steve is correct. I'm using a 7.1 receiver in a 5.1 setup using the rear surrounds for passive biamplification of the front speakers. I discovered the option while reading the manual for about the fifth time. I didn't realize it would have such a profound and positive effect or I would have done this months ago when I bought the JBL E80's. Only just now making that change I realize why everyone here goes absolutely nuts about this hobby...it may sound dramatic but this tweak or setup change has been the single most positive thing I have done for my sound.
Next thing I'm getting is Maverick Audio DAC....I'm really hooked now... :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2010, 10:34 am »
We of the single driver nation know the value of having one driver directly connected to one channel of amplification.  KISS forever! (not the band)

chadh

« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2010, 02:30 pm »
It ain't active unless you're using electronic Xovers.

So, if you're using passive line-level crossovers, but have nothing between amps and drivers, you're not actively bi-amping?

Chad

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2010, 02:33 pm »
That's correct.  Active biamping allows you to remove the load from the upper end amp by removing the bass, rather than having the amps have to reproduce everything only to have it filtered away passively along with all of the related phase and other issues.

Bryan

chadh

« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2010, 02:45 pm »
That's correct.  Active biamping allows you to remove the load from the upper end amp by removing the bass, rather than having the amps have to reproduce everything only to have it filtered away passively along with all of the related phase and other issues.

Bryan

But this only requires that the filtering happens at line level.  It doesn't require that the filter be active.

Chad