Bi-amping is a good thing?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Bi-amping is a good thing?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Mar 2010, 02:50 pm »
We of the single driver nation know the value of having one driver directly connected to one channel of amplification.  KISS forever! (not the band)

Yes as Einstien once said Keep it simple but don't make it simpiliar. If i can find one that is full range 20 to 20,000Hz I'm with ya. Until then not yet.  :thumb:

charles

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:16 pm »
The gain settings of a tube amp, compared to a solid state amp are usually rather far apart. This can be compensated for with amplifiers that have (1.) input level controls, or (2.) active EQ. The better solution is to have 2 identical amps with identical gain, then you can vertically bi-amp, or horizontally bi-amp or with a phase inverter, mono-block the amps for tripple the power output (in solid-state) or double the power output (in tube). After all, the real reason to bi-amp is to present the speakers with more power, whether it by brute force or reducing load.

Also remember that passively "Y" cabling the output from the preamp will cut the output impedance in half (two resistors in series) and may be a problem with some passive pre amps.

Wayner  :D

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:26 pm »
Nothing between the amplifier and its assigned driver. If you aren't set up that way, you don't have an active system.
Even if there is no XO, as in the case of single driver speakers, it is still active if the above condition is met. With multiple driver speakers, the XO must be before the amplifiers in the signal path to be an active system.
I don't know if it is possible to use a passive signal distribution network between the pre-amp and amplifier but I would doubt that a preamplifier would be able to provide a strong enough signal to pass through a passive XO. If that's true, then you have to have an active XO in order to use a multi-amplified active system.

It would seem that there is no such thing as active bi-amping without an active XO between the preamp and the amps. That's how mine is configured.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #23 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:39 pm »
I love this thread....very educational....I'm reading it while watching a sci-fi movie and being blown away by the new sound I'm getting as a result of the new configuration. So this is what a good sound is, I feel like I'm hearing my system for the very first time. Even with the entry level equipment I'm using I'm absolutely loving this new sound...Thank you Audio Circle!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Pez

« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:25 pm »
you think bi-amping is good with a receiver, you should try triamping with a digital active crossover like the DCX or a DEQX and tubes top middle w/ solid state on the woofers. that's when you really start getting HUGE results.  :thumb:

Also Wayner, I have to agree with having matching amps making gain issues much easier to deal with, but must caution that potentially the efficiency between drivers might cause more of an issue in my experience than the gain of the amps! make sure you are aware of the drivers ratings prior to doing active crossover as you might end up with a gain issue that cannot be compensated for by conventional means.

Active crossover is where it's at, I think people do not realize that it is no small thing and, in my experience, when sound quality is your main goal there is no situation where a passive is superior to an active assuming it is done right.

Wayner

« Reply #25 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:32 pm »
you think bi-amping is good with a receiver, you should try triamping with a digital active crossover like the DCX or a DEQX and tubes top middle w/ solid state on the woofers. that's when you really start getting HUGE results.  :thumb:

Also Wayner, I have to agree with having matching amps making gain issues much easier to deal with, but must caution that potentially the efficiency between drivers might cause more of an issue in my experience than the gain of the amps! make sure you are aware of the drivers ratings prior to doing active crossover as you might end up with a gain issue that cannot be compensated for by conventional means.

Active crossover is where it's at, I think people do not realize that it is no small thing and, in my experience, when sound quality is your main goal there is no situation where a passive is superior to an active assuming it is done right.

Absolutely!

Wayner  :D