Bad listening chair!!

Artemis

Bad listening chair!!
« on: 5 Mar 2010, 05:53 pm »
I can't believe how much effect my chair has on my sound.It was confirmed after plot test my chair is sucking out alot of Bass energy from my ears.When I lean front it sounds comletely different then when I'm leaning back..My chair is leather and looks like the one in the Maxell commercial..Any one else with this problem??I need a new chair!!

low.pfile

Re: Bad listening chair!!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2010, 07:17 pm »
So you made measurements with a mic in various positions of your head and compared those?
cheers
ed

gitarretyp

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2010, 08:06 pm »
You're just sampling different places in your room with your ears. Your chair has very little to do with the effect you're experiencing.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2010, 08:17 pm »
Easy enough to find out by sitting on a stool and leaning in those same positions.  I suspect your big stuffed leather chair (particularly from the shoulder blades up), has something to do with it.

Let us know the results.

Steve

gitarretyp

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2010, 08:30 pm »
The easiest way to check if the chair is really having an effect is to just move the chair with you rather than leaning. Keep in mind, though, that leaning will also effect your listening height. Also, these sorts of effects are best measured and not subjectively determined.

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2010, 09:05 pm »
I've definitely heard a difference going from a chair/couch with a high back to one where the back is lower and my ear level is above that chair-back. A much more open feel/sound.

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2010, 09:20 pm »
I have an old wooden office chair that swivels and rocks. You truely can hear the sound change as you move positions, but it's not because of the chair, but rather the combination of primary and secondary reflections (and the ratios of such) that change when you move to a new position.

Wayner  :D

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2010, 09:36 pm »
Maybe you could use an Ekornes Stressless chair? Things got much better in my listening room when I replaced a King Size Lane recliner for a leather Ekornes Vegas chair. My only issue now is staying awake while playing my system.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2010, 09:43 pm »
Maybe you could use an Ekornes Stressless chair? Things got much better in my listening room when I replaced a King Size Lane recliner for a leather Ekornes Vegas chair. My only issue now is staying awake while playing my system.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin
+1 Robin!    :D  Add in the soothing nature of the RR77 pulses, and a couple Grey Goose-based nightcaps...and you've got buzz-ville.   :thumb:

*Scotty*

« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2010, 10:05 pm »
If I was a betting man I would say your listening chair is positioned such that when you lean back in it you have leaned back into a standing wave null zone and when you lean forward you are out of the null. Try moving your chair forward so that your head is out of the null zone. Alternatively you can move your chair backwards and probably produce the same result,no more missing bass.
Try it and report back.
Scotty 

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2010, 10:07 pm »
I've definitely heard a difference going from a chair/couch with a high back to one where the back is lower and my ear level is above that chair-back. A much more open feel/sound.

Low back is going to be my next chair too.

My system sounds better when I move my head forward.  I tried moving the chair forward but it was not an improvement.  I need a comfy low back chair with some sort of head rest...like a dentist chair with out the drilling noise  :o

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 5 Mar 2010, 10:40 pm »
Our Ekornes Vegas chairs are mid back, with a headrest that will ratchet up when needed (I keep mine down due to obvious sonic issues, as well as for good mutlichannel listening).

mjosef

Re: Bad listening chair!! Bad Checksum. lol
« Reply #12 on: 5 Mar 2010, 11:29 pm »
I tried a 'shoulder-blade-high' chair before, it was not really conducive for long listening sessions. Talk about serious neck pain, maybe it was the style of the chair  :dunno:
I'd rather be comfortable (some neck/head support)and listen to music, than torture myself for the 2% extra of 'sonic bliss'. YMWV

arthurs

« Reply #13 on: 5 Mar 2010, 11:54 pm »
+ another Ekornes fan...I have a Spirit and a Vegas....hell, I even bought their tables

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 6 Mar 2010, 12:20 am »
Low back man, myself.  Just under the shoulder line, anyway.  Natural fiber, too.  But, hey, you can't have everything.   Concrete slab under a synthetic carpet.   Whatta you gonna do.  That chair Robin has is great looking and apparently there's less of it compared to his old one :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2010, 12:30 am »
Low back man, myself.  Just under the shoulder line, anyway.  Natural fiber, too.  But, hey, you can't have everything.   Concrete slab under a synthetic carpet.   Whatta you gonna do.  That chair Robin has is great looking and apparently there's less of it compared to his old one :thumb: .

Thing is Jim, it's the best of both worlds. Leave it down at shoulder height for critical listening, especially multichannel as Ted mentions or raise it up for a lazy head,, as is mine most of the time.  :eyebrows: 

Cheers,
Robin

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2010, 01:26 am »
Low back is going to be my next chair too.

My system sounds better when I move my head forward.  I tried moving the chair forward but it was not an improvement.  I need a comfy low back chair with some sort of head rest...like a dentist chair with out the drilling noise  :o

Everything is low back for Art and me. :duh:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #17 on: 6 Mar 2010, 01:26 am »

I bought these chairs at a garage sale for my daughter to take to her apartment at school. She said no way so I put them in my listening spot and they've been there for two years now. They replaced a tall leather recliner because the sound is soooo much better. Not much to look at but surprisingly comfortable. I highly recommend a low back chair after my experience. :D

JackD201

« Reply #18 on: 6 Mar 2010, 01:49 am »
Here's a hi-back that's great for the posture and is pretty open out back. The downside is it needs a bigger dedicated line than your amps.  :P

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 6 Mar 2010, 01:54 am »
Here's a hi-back that's great for the posture and is pretty open out back. The downside is it needs a bigger dedicated line than your amps.  :P

Looks good for locking into that sweet spot.  :lol: