Re: Bad listening chair!!
« Reply #21 on: 6 Mar 2010, 02:21 am »
Everything is low back for Art and me. :duh:
  Curse of the tall trees Pete!   :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #22 on: 7 Mar 2010, 09:36 pm »
the ikea poang, w/matching ottoman, is quite comfortable, won't break the bank, and is awailable in a myriad of colors and fabrics - you can get cloth if you are worried that leather affects the sound in a negative manner.  i have found that sound change is more due to actual location of my head to the speakers, than to any reflections off the chair itself. 

ymmv,

doug s.

jaxwired

« Reply #23 on: 7 Mar 2010, 10:12 pm »
I use a poang chair as well.  In fact, based on all the systems I've seen on the internet, I'd venture a guess that it's the most popular listening chair among audio people...

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 7 Mar 2010, 10:21 pm »
+3 on the Poang, my second, the current one is leather.

I researched chairs in years past, and sat in a few, but the uplift in price killed it for me, at this time.

Would love a le corb chair in time, low back, leather, classy etc.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #25 on: 7 Mar 2010, 11:01 pm »
Two Poangs in my room.  The sound is a little better if I lean forward a little instead of recline, but hey, relaxation is a huge part of the enjoyment of music.  I used to have a lowback loveseat.  I had to slouch way down to relax and that ruined the sound.  The Poangs are an acceptable real world compromise.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:28 am »
the first poang i bought new from ikea w/o ottoman for ~$90, as i had an ottoman that looked nice and matched the style pretty well.  i picked up a second w/matching ottoman off a bulletin board ad where i worked for $100 - hard to beat for the price.   :thumb:

doug s.

Nuance

« Reply #27 on: 8 Mar 2010, 03:04 am »
I've definitely heard a difference going from a chair/couch with a high back to one where the back is lower and my ear level is above that chair-back. A much more open feel/sound.

+1

JakeJ

« Reply #28 on: 8 Mar 2010, 04:13 am »
+3 for Ekornes.  I stand a short 5' 9" tall but the head rest is just below my ears and raises when needed for snoozing.

Artemis

« Reply #29 on: 8 Mar 2010, 04:14 pm »
It was confirmed it's the chair.The mic was placed in the same position with the chair in place and then removed.There was a huge difference in measurments..Yes theres a difference when I lean forward and lean back but if I move the chair up to where my head was positioned when I leaned front the suckout remains...I think the mass of the the chair with it's high arm rest and leather is to blame..I posted this for other member's not to make the same mistake in buying a new chair..There's alot of factors in getting the sound right and the chair is one of them..In my opinion a chair with a very low back and very little mass in the arm rest whould be ideal.Also height is important.That depends on how your speakers are designed.

JakeJ

« Reply #30 on: 8 Mar 2010, 04:34 pm »
the first poang i bought new from ikea w/o ottoman for ~$90, as i had an ottoman that looked nice and matched the style pretty well.  i picked up a second w/matching ottoman off a bulletin board ad where i worked for $100 - hard to beat for the price.   :thumb:

doug s.

Ya know, I was just checking out the Poang yesterday and it's still $89.  That's cheap 'n' cheerful comfort.  ;)