Trying New Electrostatic

jimdgoulding

Re: Trying New Electrostatic
« Reply #40 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:32 pm »
Hi Luigi,

Generally I try to fit the volume to the venue I am listening to but I would average around 85 dB on most material.  I really like the triangle setup assuming stereo listening.

james
What I tell my audio chums around here is that your volume control is your concert seating assignment.  Example, at a friend's house we were listening to Keith Jarrett's La Scala at what I thought was unrealistic volume.  I explained to my friend that the production team behind the sound didn't go all the way to Italy so you could listen to the piano with your head inside it.  We settled on Row G.  Something like that.  Whole lots better.  Peter Walker of Quad fame wrote that every recording has a correct volume setting.  I think that is particularly true of on location recordings.  You must, too, sounds like.   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 15 Mar 2010, 10:12 pm »

James,

the 28 is not able to do so?

al.

Yes the 2 ohms is at 20K so the 28B the 7B and the 14B are fine. Roger does not want his customers using Tube or Class D amps on the speakers.

james

sonicboom

« Reply #42 on: 16 Mar 2010, 02:51 am »
I heard the 10b's predecessor the Innersound Kaya about 3 yrs ago at a show and at the time they struck me as the most transparent, neutral and dynamic of the breed and I 'm talking of the panel sound only.  I do remember the integration between panel and woof to be pretty good and also the bass not calling attention to itself either way - a good thing I guess.  I am comparing mostly to Quad 989's, ML Prodigy's and my own ET LFT-6's

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 20 Mar 2010, 09:47 pm »
Hi Folks,

I had Mark Jones the owner of Whitby Audio (a very old and well respected hi end audio shop near my home) over today to hear the Roger Sanders 10C's.  Setup was 2-14B's BP26, BDA-1 with our prototype BDP-1 digital music player.

His comment after a few tunes "james I 'HATE' electrostatic speakers but I 'LOVE' these" :drool:

Two hours later I get an email from Mark asking "what the hell was the name of the speaker again and please tell me you were playing hi-resolution files". Answer - no Mark all the demos you heard were all 44.1/16 bit cuts. :lol:

james
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2010, 11:32 pm by James Tanner »

gdbalp

« Reply #44 on: 22 Mar 2010, 11:52 pm »
Hi James,

It sounds like you have another great product (BDP-1) to offer, the Bryston way... :drool:

Would Bryston ever consider the ability to decode DSD (Super Audio), HDCD, DVD-Audio, or other higher resolution digital audio signals directly in its new product offerings -SP3 or BDP-1?

With Bryston track record, this would be amazing to hear the audio reproduction possible.  The present DAC's used in Bryston products are capable, so this upgrade would not be too difficult - I think...

Ciao,
Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 23 Mar 2010, 01:00 am »
Hi James,

It sounds like you have another great product (BDP-1) to offer, the Bryston way... :drool:

Would Bryston ever consider the ability to decode DSD (Super Audio), HDCD, DVD-Audio, or other higher resolution digital audio signals directly in its new product offerings -SP3 or BDP-1?

With Bryston track record, this would be amazing to hear the audio reproduction possible.  The present DAC's used in Bryston products are capable, so this upgrade would not be too difficult - I think...

Ciao,
Luigi

Hi Luigi,

No plans for that -- with the world moving towards high resolution digital files we think the future is in a product like the Digital Music Player combined with our BDA-1 DAC and maybe a server to go with it for file storage and access.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #46 on: 24 Mar 2010, 03:33 am »
Hi Folks,

I had Mark Jones the owner of Whitby Audio (a very old and well respected hi end audio shop near my home) over today to hear the Roger Sanders 10C's.  Setup was 2-14B's BP26, BDA-1 with our prototype BDP-1 digital music player.

His comment after a few tunes "james I 'HATE' electrostatic speakers but I 'LOVE' these" :drool:

Two hours later I get an email from Mark asking "what the hell was the name of the speaker again and please tell me you were playing hi-resolution files". Answer - no Mark all the demos you heard were all 44.1/16 bit cuts. :lol:

james

Have you played vinyl, James?