Trying New Electrostatic

JakeJ

Re: Trying New Electrostatic
« Reply #20 on: 26 Feb 2010, 10:05 pm »
Of course this begs the question why the 2905's over any other speaker?

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2010, 10:22 pm »
I was in their room at this years RMAF. I thought it was very bizarre that there were 3 chairs, one behind the other, for listening. That is taking the sweet spot to a very selfish level. My wife and I both enjoy music and after the years, there is nothing more boring then listening alone.

I have the MartinLogan reQuests (retailed for $5500 in 1999) and soon they discontinued them, because they were priced wrong. They should have been at 10,000 but wasn't realized until too late.

The sweet spot is huge, the dynamics ultra fast, and they are a pure pleasure to listen too, even today.

Wayner

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2010, 10:41 pm »
Of course this begs the question why the 2905's over any other speaker?

Hi Jake,

It's just a reference point for me and I have just lucked out with them in my 3rd smaller soundroom where they just sound excellent. I don't know about you but I find the room/speaker interface is critical and sometimes it works :drool: and sometimes it doesn't :duh:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2010, 05:57 pm »
The Model 10's arrive tomorrow - should be a fun weekend! :drool:

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2010, 10:17 pm »
Those look like pretty cool speakers. However, I never seriously thought about electrostatics because I'm paranoid that they'll blow up on me!

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2010, 11:07 pm »
Those look like pretty cool speakers. However, I never seriously thought about electrostatics because I'm paranoid that they'll blow up on me!
If I couldn't blow up some MartinLogans with the Melvins (a Senile Animal) cranked through a 9bsst2 then you should be ok.

JakeJ

« Reply #26 on: 4 Mar 2010, 11:18 pm »

Today's electrostats are much better with regards to stability as well as sound quality.  Now if you are talking KLH 9s or Quad ESL-57s then you are in the territory of delicate, easily damaged speakers.

Edit:
I forgot to mention I owned a pair of Martin-Logan Aerius i speakers driven by a Classe CAP-150 integrated and with 150 Watts/channel I never "blew them up".  Although I could chase myself right out of the room with excessive volume.  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 6 Mar 2010, 01:01 am »
:thumb:

Roger Sanders Model 10C

james

Ron D

« Reply #28 on: 6 Mar 2010, 03:54 am »
Impressive set-up!

Appears that they are crossing each other in advance of the listening position - by design or just trying to dial them in?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 6 Mar 2010, 04:16 am »
Impressive set-up!

Appears that they are crossing each other in advance of the listening position - by design or just trying to dial them in?

You shine a flashlight at the panel and align them so the center of the panel lines up dead center at your head.

james
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2010, 12:52 pm by James Tanner »

JakeJ

« Reply #30 on: 6 Mar 2010, 05:26 am »
I've also found a laser pointer comes in very handy when placing/aligning speakers in general.

vegasdave

« Reply #31 on: 6 Mar 2010, 08:48 am »
James: bi-amped with 4 7Bs?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 6 Mar 2010, 12:51 pm »
James: bi-amped with 4 7Bs?

Digital electronic crossover (172 Hz at 48 dB per octave) and 28B on the top electrostatic and 7B on the bass.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #33 on: 7 Mar 2010, 09:17 pm »
Sounds great! Why the higher powered amp on the electrostatic? Because it needs more power than the bass?

vegasdave

« Reply #34 on: 7 Mar 2010, 09:22 pm »
If I couldn't blow up some MartinLogans with the Melvins (a Senile Animal) cranked through a 9bsst2 then you should be ok.

Haha...well, I'm notorious for popping tweeters, and these are even cone and dome tweeters.

gdbalp

« Reply #35 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:10 am »
James,

A bit off base, but still within subject matter;
With all your years of listening :thumb:, how loud do you listen to your music and what is the best speaker arrangement?

Ciao,
Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 9 Mar 2010, 01:39 pm »
James,

A bit off base, but still within subject matter;
With all your years of listening :thumb:, how loud do you listen to your music and what is the best speaker arrangement?

Ciao,
Luigi

Hi Luigi,

Generally I try to fit the volume to the venue I am listening to but I would average around 85 dB on most material.  I really like the triangle setup assuming stereo listening.

james

sonicboom

« Reply #37 on: 15 Mar 2010, 06:09 pm »
So Mr. Tanner... what is the general impression of the speaker after the first week's use?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 15 Mar 2010, 06:51 pm »
So Mr. Tanner... what is the general impression of the speaker after the first week's use?

Hi Sonicboom,

So far I have to say I am really impressed with the dynamic capability and the integration of the transmission line bass to the "stat".

There amplifier 'killers' though. Need a big powerful solid state amp that can drive 2 ohms.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #39 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:54 pm »
Hi Sonicboom,

So far I have to say I am really impressed with the dynamic capability and the integration of the transmission line bass to the "stat".

There amplifier 'killers' though. Need a big powerful solid state amp that can drive 2 ohms.

james

James,

the 28 is not able to do so?

al.