curious as to how may here are musicians (or at least try to play an instrument)

schw06

I'm learning to shred on the electric guitar. Anyone looking for an incredible guitar teacher, it's Jimmy Cypher (jimmycypher.com)in Atlanta. He is also coming out with instructional material and can do web based lessons via Skype...worth every penny! What I've noticed playing and listening to guitars when you pick them up is a keener ear for tone (particularly when listening to Gibson Les Paul's). I've enjoyed listening to reproduced music more and it's enhanced my ability to narrow my search for audio equipment.
David

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
The trumpet . self taught. Bob did you wear those suede shorts and suspenders. OOM pa pa.

charles

Ericus Rex

I like to shred too    8)

I'm learning to shred on the electric guitar.

Larkston Zinaspic

I first picked up the guitar in 1983. Gilmour has always been my primary inspiration for that, meaning I probably would not have even looked at the guitar if it wasn't for him. His purity of tone, sense of timing and sense of pitch is impeccable. The reason Dave is not your typical blues player is because the emphasis is always on the melody, not the standard blues cliches you'll hear from almost everyone else. He can smoothly bend notes up to a perfect fourth with precision and control; he doesn't whack the whammy bar around, just caresses it and alternates with finger vibrato to add more 'vocalist' complexity to his melodic statement. He is probably even slower than Slow Hand, but he always plays the note that counts, from the heart.

Here's another guy chasing the Gilmour sound, if you haven't seen this already:
http://www.gilmourish.com/

These days I'd say the list of guitarists I'm not inspired by is much smaller.

Achieving any meaningful progress in music requires diligent practice. I'd say if the best musicians among us are not audiophiles, it's probably because one obsession involving music is more than enough.

pjchappy

Here's another guy chasing the Gilmour sound, if you haven't seen this already:
http://www.gilmourish.com/

Been going to that site for a few years now.  A great site for any and all Gilmour junkies!  For those who haven't checked it out, he goes into great detail regarding Gilmour's equipment, gear, and settings for different albums/songs/tours.  He also has some good, general guitar tips and does some gear reviews of his own.  His band's music is pretty good, too.  They are called Airbag.

Great to hear from others who have been influenced by Gilmour!   :thumb:

Paul

drew54

lots of us, past and present.

I played trumpet for many yrs, thru college, symphonic band, orchestra, musicals, jazz bands.  Its a fairly anti-social instrument and for me, the last straw was when i got a dog and she would howl along w my playing (i wasnt that bad).  I sold my trumpet in 99 to get back into audiophiledom.

2 yrs ago bob the accordianist showed me guitar hero on the expert level.  It looked so hard I thought the real thing couldnt be much harder(??? wrong).  Picked up my old Yamaha 6 string, untouched since college, played a few chords, signed up for lessons.

Now I'm finding that collecting guitar gear is as much or more fun than audio gear. 

Why do pro musicians not care so much about home audio?

My take is that when you are playing thru a Fender twin, standing next to the drum kit, there is no way even a facsimile of that sound is reproduced in the home.  It is not captured on any recordings I am aware of.

Would you want it?  Its soo freaking loud and dynamic.  You'd go deaf pretty quick.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Clarinet.  Played through high school, then quit because I had to work my way through college, so I thought I'd never play again.  15 years later, I was intrigued by a radio interview with the director of a new adult symphonic band.  I sat in and I'm still there 29 years later.  Our band has the rep of being one of the 2 or 3 best in the nation: http://www.austinsymphonicband.org

mcgsxr

Violin - played 10 years, reached the 9th grade Royal Conservatory level.
Trombone - played for 4 years in high school
Bass - both standup and electric - played for 4 years also in high school
Guitar - hacked at it for 2-3 years, but could never really get the hang of chords, having played other string instruments with a lead mentality in the past...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Retired drummer here....played since I was 10, music is life!!

Crimson

Been playing guitar for almost 30 years and used to play in a few college bands. I started using Logic a few years ago and with 8 guitas and a few keystations am really enjoying myself.

honesthoff

Footnotes on my shoehorn...But seriously folks, I do sing and consider the voice as an instrument.  Been taking lessons for thirty+ years now, and have performed with many choir and chorale groups, though my favorite gig was with a Merle Haggard cover band about fifteen years ago.  All hail The Hag.  :notworthy:

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
first picked up the guitar in '67 worked at it for a couple decades, now learning the basics of getting soul in the voice and guitar. wish I had this as my real focus.....  will record a gig next month in Friday Harbor, San Juan, may post some of it.  also was talking with some guys today about a small concert in the room at RMAF this year; admission is beer, bourbon or good scotch ( I hate mediocre scotch!)

lot of the builders are pretty good musicians...

lou

jimbop

I've been playing bass guitar for about 35 years, and am still active in bands. I recently bought an acoustic upright bass and am working with a teacher again. I hope to continue playing until I can't anymore.

JD

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor

:guitar: since 1980.......... I began with playing classical music then one night, I saw Johnny Winter concert and my world turned upside-down.

Audiophiliac

Does Rockband and Guitar Hero count? Expert even? My fav solo to play lately is Painkillers by Judas Priest. Awesome!!! :) :rock:

I played trombone in 5th and 6th grade. I could probably pick it up again in a few months. It came fairly easy to me. It just was not cool to be a band geek when I was in school. :)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
This flat top: adirondack spruce top, olive wood from Zambia (rosewood family) sides/back, quilted maple binding, turquoise/walnut rosette, ebony/walnut/ebony purfling, birdseye maple back of headstock 

Described here (will be posted at my own site soon) http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168967

More images http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg105/ro7939/Thorell%20Grand%20olive%20wood%20Zambia/?start=all

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
This flat top: adirondack spruce top, olive wood from Zambia (rosewood family) sides/back, quilted maple binding, turquoise/walnut rosette, ebony/walnut/ebony purfling, birdseye maple back of headstock 

Described here (will be posted at my own site soon) http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168967

More images http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg105/ro7939/Thorell%20Grand%20olive%20wood%20Zambia/?start=all

That's beauty !! :drool:

ooheadsoo

Why do pro musicians not care so much about home audio?

My take is that when you are playing thru a Fender twin, standing next to the drum kit, there is no way even a facsimile of that sound is reproduced in the home.  It is not captured on any recordings I am aware of.

Would you want it?  Its soo freaking loud and dynamic.  You'd go deaf pretty quick.

On the other hand, pros must listen to music/live music as a listener, not just as a player, just as much as us, if not more (for the most part.)  Why don't they want to make it as much like the real thing as they can?

IMO, a good, perhaps Masters level, music theory class will really get your head and ears going about how music is constructed and how the western human hear works.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
See....drphoto...there are a number of musicians here... 8)

Your question....
...my post wasn't really about playing, but just do 'players' have a different take on playback?

I believe so...different from the "average joe".
As a player,one might tend to listen to the music on a deeper level....not as background music, but with a more intense interest....at least I do. Since I play guitar...when I hear a recording with a guitar,it perks me up to give it a good listen....then I move on to the other instruments.

But in the back of my mind I may be thinking....
what guitar is that ?
What amp ?
What effects....and so forth. :lol:

One more thing.....no matter how good one can play....there's always someone that's better....just the way it is....have fun. :beer:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Sax when I was in school, then I got an electric bass 8 yrs ago, and picked up a 6 string Fender Heartfield bass about 5 yrs. ago. It's a neck thru bass with a Koa top and Maple body, carbon fiber reinforced with dual truss rods. Definitely a better instrument than I deserve. Since I went back to school and got a real job I don't have much time to play though.