curious as to how may here are musicians (or at least try to play an instrument)

drphoto

I know a few like Chris (lonewolf) were in bands, and others like Jackman play an instrument (guitar in his case) but just wondering in general if many people play music. I picked up the guitar a few years ago. I suck, but it's a lot of fun, and it gives me a whole new appreciation for the people who do it well. I've always been a Pink Floyd fan, but now that I'm learning Dave Gilmour solos, I'm blown away by what he did with what were basically blues riffs.

I know a number of professional musicians, and the funny thing is none of them have anything resembling high end audio systems. Maybe because they're local musicians, and they're all poor!

Actually, one guy I know, who is an amazing guitar player, isn't poor, but he still has just mainstream, mid fi audio gear. I've been wanting to get him over here to hear my rig, but neither of us have much free time these days.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
drphoto....

Everyone "sucks" when they first start playing.... :duh:
....but practice...practice...practice...and you get better. :guitar:

Feel the music..... :thumb:

I know a number of professional musicians, and the funny thing is none of them have anything resembling high end audio systems. Maybe because they're local musicians, and they're all poor!

True....they think about buying better musical instruments... :wink:

ooheadsoo

I'm one of those guys who suck!  Practice is anathema.  I dabble in violin, viola, trombone, and elec. bass.  I know plenty of musicians who are much better than me - none of them care too much about their stereo systems.  Unless they are active pros, I don't know too many who are looking to upgrade their instruments, either. 

No, it's just something wrong with those few of us who have this little sickness in our hearts...

drphoto

I love practicing. I'm so pressed for time, I only get a few minutes a night. It's maddening when you can't do what you want, but you have to see the big picture. Yeah, I CAN play stuff now, I couldn't play when I started.

But my point, was more how it give you a new perspective. I mean, when I first heard 'Floyd', I had no idea it was based on blues riffs. Dave Gilmour, in addition to his 'sound'...a combination of effects, has a sense of time that is really unique. I mean, it sure as hell doesn't sound like the blues, but it' the same damn thing.

ooheadsoo

Oh yes, playing an instrument can definitely give you a deeper appreciation of music.  I BA'd in music history - that would help too, but my memory is worthless  :duh: 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
But my point, was more how it give you a new perspective. I mean, when I first heard 'Floyd', I had no idea it was based on blues riffs. Dave Gilmour, in addition to his 'sound'...a combination of effects, has a sense of time that is really unique. I mean, it sure as hell doesn't sound like the blues, but it' the same damn thing.

You right....all the really good stuff is simple....but played well....a new perspective... :wink:

drphoto

Thanks for the reply Chris. The problem, for me, as a newbie guitar player, is there can be incredible complexity in playing even simple passages. Yeah, I can play the notes, but getting the sound and the time are SO hard!

But again, my post wasn't really about playing, but just do 'players' have a different take on playback?

I mean, if you play, do you listen differently?

I think I do.

Wayner

I had an in home studio from 1995 to about 2005, producing 11 45 minute CDs with all original material, all instrumental. The music features 6 and 12 string acoustic (Martin), electric (Fender Telecaster), Fender Jazz bass, Rickenbacker 4003 Bass,  mandolin and several keyboards and synthesizer moduals. The studio was built around Cakewalk Pro Audio and all but one CD was recorded onto the computer harddrive, also using MIDI. The music is very personal and guarded, as few have ever heard it. Some of it is poor, some is good, some is "I can't believe I did that".

Playing keyboards helps one to play the guitar and vice-versa. 10 years of my life living in a cave with headphones on. Not recommended.

Wayner

BobM

Grew up playing accordion (hence the message on the bottom of my posts) and was quite good at it, winning local competitions. Then switched to piano and fouond out my left hand technique was already ruined by the accordion. However I was still good enough.

Went to college and joined a prog band, playing some pretty cool and difficult stuff. Took composition courses and wrote quite a lot of material, Continued playing keyboards after college with some friends just to jam and have fun. Finally wrote my own wedding song that the band played at our wedding.

I say finally because shortly after we had kids. I wound up donating my keyboard rig to the local school music department and more or less gave up playing. I picked up the tenor sax for a year in there somewhere and that was lots of fun.

Unfortunately I really don't play much at all anymore, but sometimes the urge stikes and I can whip out a few tunes.

Big Red Machine

I took piano lessons as a kid for several years but my passion was always drums and since 8 I have played in every imaginable setting and genre.  When I was a teen we won a high school jazz festival contest and were able to participate in a jazz festival the following year in Rome, Italy and my cases still have the Alitalia luggage tickets attached. :drums: :banana piano:

My first band ever was called Page One and we played a middle school dance - big time band!!!

Ericus Rex

Been playing bass for over 20 years.  Started with electric playing rock, metal and jazz.  Then I concentrated on double bass.  Played professionally for years in various orchestras in the deep south.  Now I'm in Boston doing other things and don't play too much anymore.  Just a couple of gigs a year.  Doodle on my electric guitar whenever I get the itch.

srclose

Started with piano lessons, but switched to trumpet in grade school.  In college played with a 16 piece band doing dance jobs.  Later played both big band and small groups for fun and to help support getting through more college, mostly old standards, jazz, and blues.  I first became interested in stereo watching my brother play LPs on a Philco that had an angled front to accentuate the effect of having 2 speakers for stereo!

StereoNut

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away...

I played sax throughout my school years.  Alto, then tenor in grade school.  Tenor, then Bari in Jr. High and H.S.  I taught myself some flute, using bastardized saxophone fingerings towards the end of H.S. and then had a guitar playing friend of mine teach me to play some electric bass.  Played my share of garage band rock on all three instruments for basically nothing more than beer and pizza money.  I continued to play intermittently through college.  Even performed with a 50's Rock n' Roll band for Ted Mack at our school as a fund-raiser!  (Gee, I'm getting old... does anybody else remember the Ted Mack amateur hour?) I did some wedding and club date stuff after that, but not a lot.  I have been away from playing for a long time now.

To be perfectly honest, I never practiced enough to become really good.  I'd get bored practicing scales and arpeggios etc., so it made me a marginal musician.  I regret not accepting the offer of lessons from a much, much, much older cousin who played sax professionally many years back when I was a grade-school kid.  (BTW - Cousin Tom was a tremendous talent, who is still gigging in Florida today at almost 80 years old!)  The problem was that I was in such awe of him. I was afraid I'd make too many mistakes and he'd make fun of me or get mad!  Looking back now, I realize how stupid that was on my part. 
:duh:

I still have all of my instruments and my bass amp, but haven't picked anything up to play in probably over 20 years now.  Maybe someday...???

SN

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Used to play trumpet, did a couple gigs with my friends around the end of HS/beginning of college.

chosenhandle

play piano...wish I was better at it. There are not enough hours in the day to practice like I should.

JoshK

Used to play trumpet, did a couple gigs with my friends around the end of HS/beginning of college.

Ditto.

I also own an acoustic guitar that I dont know how to play.

pjchappy

I play guitar and bass guitar.  I have 2 electrics, 1 acoustic, 2 basses (1 bass isn't in the best of shape) and a mandolin.  I will be buying another electric guitar in the next few months.  I can kinda play drums, as I have been teaching myself on a small electronic drumkit.  I am just now teaching myself piano. . .well, keyboard.  Didn't realize how logical the piano is until I sat down a few weeks ago and started learning.  Much easier than guitar, in terms of chord structure / theory.

I wish I started music at a much younger age.  I got my first guitar as a gift about 13 years ago.  Barely played it / couldn't play it until about 4 years ago.  During a 7-month journey through the land of unemployment, I started really teaching myself guitar. . .and started writing my own music.  I think guitar really saved me from completely losing my mind. 

My own music has become a big hobby for me, taking up the majority of my free time. . .and the majority of my money!  It has pulled me away from this hobby significantly, as instead of sitting down listening, I would rather sit down and play a guitar or work on a song.  I have only relatively recently "forced" myself to put money back into this hobby. . .yet, I still rarely sit down and just listen.

Anyways, you can check out some of my rough "demos" via the link in my signature below.  Some are more rough than others. . .and they all currently have pretty unstellar bass lines.  Most lack percussion, too.  I threw most of them together in 2 to 3 days.  I am currently in the process of going back and re-recording them, with drums and everything. . . with the goal of making them sound as "professional" as I can make them.  Going to be a long process, I think.

Great to hear you're learning Floyd and Gilmour.  I am a touch obsessed and Gilmour has been a HUGE influence on me.  Gilmour just plays with such emotion that really comes through.  Guitar "technicians" and speed demons bore the hell out of me.  It's all about emotion and feeling!!!

Here is a great resource for Floyd and Gilmour tabs:  http://www.guitarnoise.com/pink_floyd/   

But again, my post wasn't really about playing, but just do 'players' have a different take on playback?

I mean, if you play, do you listen differently?

I think I do.

I definitely listen differently, but I think it's more so for production / mixing ideas.

If you're interested, you can check out some pics of my guitars, etc. via the other link in my signature.

Well, good luck!  It's a fun, yet sometimes frustrating process. . .but very rewarding, nonetheless.

Paul

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
electric bass

Eric

I play classical guitar and am taking lessons

BobRex

I took classical and jazz guitar lessons for a few years.  I also came close to completing a music minor in college.  What held me back was the performance part.  Basically I don't like to perform, I just play for my own pleasure.  I won't even play for my wife.