Made Where? - Do I Care?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Made Where? - Do I Care?
« on: 10 Feb 2010, 11:53 am »
Hi Folks,

I just read the post regarding JBL that vegasdave posted: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27692

I guess my question to all is do you think customers care where a product is manufacturer or is the lowest price all that really counts in the end?

james

JohnR

Re: Made in North America
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2010, 12:03 pm »
Um, I'd just like to point out that not everybody lives in North America. Thanks ;)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2010, 12:14 pm »
Um, I'd just like to point out that not everybody lives in North America. Thanks ;)

Good point I will change the heading.

james

1ZIP

Re: Made Where? - Do I Care?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2010, 01:09 pm »
Ultimately, I will spend my $$'s on quality, regardless of where an item is manufactured.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2010, 01:16 pm »
I think as a North American company, thats where most / the main of your products should be made.

A British company should build product in great britain etc.

Quality matters, But if you started being say a "North American" compant, then moved production elsewhere JUST to be cheaper......then quality usually follows.

For some companies a move to cheaper labour might work out but not for others.

95Dyna

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:16 pm »

Hi John,

I don't think that is the point of the thread.  North America isn't in the title of the thread and the link leads to a product that just happens to be an American company that up until now was manufactured in the US.  Just read the link about JBL and substitute your own country for United States and the point will be the same.

Regards,

Bill

95Dyna

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:18 pm »
Ultimately, I will spend my $$'s on quality, regardless of where an item is manufactured.

I agree, 1ZIP and that approach will invariably lead you products manufactured in certain countries and away from others.

werd

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:19 pm »
I personally would like to get an Axis of Audio rig up and running. Maybe amps from China, speakers from Iran, and TT from North Korea. Now that would be some evil sounding gear.......  :D

95Dyna

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:22 pm »
I personally would like to get an Axis of Audio rig up and running. Maybe amps from China, speakers from Iran, and TT from North Korea. Now that would be some evil sounding gear.......  :D

Be sure to inspect their innards for superfluous contraband when you get them home :evil:.

werd

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:24 pm »
Be sure to inspect their innards for superfluous contraband when you get them home :evil:.

Oh yah, designed to go nuke at a specific frequency....  8)

Dilbert

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:48 pm »
This has been in the cards for quite a while. Lansing member 4313B has been warning the forum members and now, it has happened. Very sad news, indeed.

FWIW, I work for a medium sized US based company with world-wide manufacturing. We sell to OEM's and commercial and residential construction. About five years ago we built our own factory in China to take advantage of the labour costs there.

Now, five years later, we are moving all the production back to the U.S.  :duh: China, it appears, it not so viable any longer as their standard of living is rising and the quality issues are very difficult to control.   

Don_S

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2010, 04:12 pm »
James,

To be blunt--I get very angry when I don't have a choice and the only products I can find are all manufactured to the lowest price point. Of course I am not talking about audio since I have many choices there.  Given choices, my audio money always goes to those companies that can provide performance, build quality, and long-term support.  And within those products I further choose to buy products made in my country (United States) or countries with admirable records with respect to working conditions and human rights.

Lowest price is seriously overrated and I hate it when CEOs and Boards of Directors cram it down our throats so then can get big bonuses. I want choices.

Hi Folks,

I guess my question to all is do you think customers care where a product is manufacturer or is the lowest price all that really counts in the end?

james
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2010, 05:48 pm by Don_S »

Browntrout

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2010, 05:24 pm »
Spot on Don! The thing is it's not even done to offer the lowest price it's done to enable the BIGGEST profits for the people who don't care about Communist Totalitarian Governments so long as their share dividends keep coming.
  I sit in front of British built and designed hifi, record player, preamp, power amp and rack with cables made in Britain and America. The speakers are French but hey nothings perfect :icon_lol:
 Seriously though it feels good to know that the money I worked hard to earn has been spent employing skilled people working for good companies in countries where they are free(ish) to think and do what they feel is right. :thumb:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2010, 06:31 pm »
Its not so much US or even North American gear I try to buy.  Its stuff thats made that doesn't take advantage of employees and the environment.

I truly believe that if you want to find out someone's real priorities (and not just what they say their priorities are), follow their money.  People claim to be all about civil rights and the environment, yet buy stuff made in China without thought.  Don't get me wrong, some things can't be avoided, but when there's an obvious choice most people will buy the cheapest one.

I think the majority of people say they care, but don't really care.  All my audio gear is European and North American.  I'd rather pay a bit more for quality, employee rights, and the environment.  I look at labels as often as possible.

As an example, I was going to buy the lower end PS Audio DAC, but didn't when I found out they moved its production to China.  I guess the people of Boulder, CO weren't good enough or worth PS Audio's money any more.  I also guess PS Audio isn't worth my money anymore.

I understand some companies must move production to stay in business and some consumers have very limited funds.  Everyone's got to do what they've got to do.  I don't have to buy anything I don't want to, which includes 3rd world communist country stuff, especially (relatively speaking) expensive commodities.  I won't buy any of the Chinese gear on principle.  I don't care how good it reportedly sounds.  That's not a racist statement, its a pro-workers and environment statement.  If China had the standards the North American and European gov'ts did, I'd have no problem with their stuff.

Not that I think North American and/or European gov't standards are anywhere near perfect, but they're far closer to it than the others.

CR

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2010, 06:49 pm »
Hi James,
   I think that most people in the serious audio end will look for products and companies that have a decent reputation.
   In years past, it was considered good for certain HIFI equipment coming from Japan was well built.
   For myself I do look at the build, mfg, warranties, backup support and other variables.
  Perhaps that is why I own several Bryston products  :thumb:

Carl

werd

« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2010, 07:13 pm »
I am more concerned with companies that move to these countries to  exploit their political climate. The companies that are born and raised in these countries i would treat differently in terms of audio purchases.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2010, 08:04 pm »
...sometimes i think that the "relationship" someone has to a certain country can have some influence. but these days as almost everything seems to be produced "somewhere else" the customer doesn't really care anymore where a product comes from. talking about Bryston i would love to see the company in Canada until i take my last breath...but if i look around i can imagine that all the other electronic stuff -whatever it may be- can probably come from all over the world and there is just nothing i (or we) can do?!

maybe that's just the way the story goes...

al.

CABrystonOwner10

« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:53 pm »
Not all customers want the same thing.

Some cannot live without tubes. Some prefer iPod. Some can live with an FM/AM battery-powered radio. Some loves Wilson Audio and some are happy with Brystons and Thiels.

For the mass consumers who grew up listening to thin, shrill, emotionless noise, any brand will do as long as it looks "good" and passes the "wife-inspection". Most simply compare specifications on paper and pick the one with the lowest price. For them, Redbook CD is no better than MP3 and SACD is just a gimmick to make money. A skinny lamp cord is as good as a thick cable, right? A $10 CD player is as good as a BCD-1 because a bit is a bit, true? These consumers won't care about where the goods are made as long as the price is "right". This is not meant to criticize or smack-down, just stating how music-listening tastes have degraded since lossy compression became prevalent.

For the few who are more selective, brand reputation and warranty are more important than location of manufacture. If Bryston were to produce its products in Mexico but claims the same process and care and with a 20-yr warranty, I would be more willing to take a chance based on Bryston's previous Canadian reputation. If a no-name X-brand tries to sell me a 7B-SST2 equivalent for $3000 and it is made in China, I will walk away.

Of course, companies like Bryston and Thiel are gems. You make solid high performance products with excellent service and warranty and still beat competitors in pricing. On top of that, you make them on the continent. If I have to spend that sort of money, why not buy goods that help the Canadians and Americans? Canada is practically just another state, no? :-) JUST KIDDING!!!

Cheers!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2010, 01:12 am »
Hi Folks,

I just read the post regarding JBL that vegasdave posted: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27692

james

James, here's an email I received from my regional JBL rep...I hope you and everyone else find it interesting.

Hi David,

"Harman has moved production plants for various brands/products several times
before.  They are not moving to a new facility – they are moving to an
established Harman facility that already exists and does quite well. Harman
management has the expertise and experience required to make a successful
transfer. There are no plans to discontinue the 1400. Although that said, we
are questioning whether to continue with the 1000 as that model does not
sell that well compared to the 800 and the 1400."

Sincerely,

Eric

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:35 am »
James, here's an email I received from my regional JBL rep...I hope you and everyone else find it interesting.

Hi David,

"Harman has moved production plants for various brands/products several times
before.  They are not moving to a new facility – they are moving to an
established Harman facility that already exists and does quite well. Harman
management has the expertise and experience required to make a successful
transfer. There are no plans to discontinue the 1400. Although that said, we
are questioning whether to continue with the 1000 as that model does not
sell that well compared to the 800 and the 1400."

Sincerely,

Eric

The 1000 is definitely in-between a rock and a hard place…

:|

Be well...