Stereovox HDVX, VS Bolder NAPALM

jasonc

« on: 24 Jan 2004, 05:05 pm »
Has anyone compared these two digital cables?

Perhaps a better comparison would be the Napalm vs the HDVX combined with Bolder RCA Inline Purifiers with Bybee.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2004, 07:24 pm »
I don't believe such a comparo has happened yet.

Last I heard, there'd only been 4 Napalm's built. Jay S, Turk, Brian Cheney, and myself have them.

I've not had an HDXV in my possesion to do a comparision. And I'm pretty sure Jay hasn't either.

But I can't say for sure if Turk & Big B have had HDXV's in their possesion. I don't think they have.

jasonc

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2004, 07:30 pm »
Thanks Bubba. How do you like the Napalm?  Have you compared it to the standard bolder digital?

Thanks.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2004, 07:45 pm »
I certainly have no plans to replace my Napalm, as I'm more than happy with it.

Yeah, I had a "regular" Bolder digital beforehand that I was using. It was outfitted with Silver Bullets & was cryo treated.

And my Napalm is also cryo treated, but it actually has 2 Bybees in it.

My Napalm was easily cleaner & more life-like with virtually no noise floor. It actually took me a day or two to get used to the complete lack of noise in the signal w/the Napalm. I was very happy with my regular Bolder digitals in the first place, but the Napalm is definitely better.

I also had the chance to briefly compare my Napalm to a silver bullet cryo'd Bolder w/Bybee inline adapter to my Napalm. The Napalm was a bit better. I didn't have much time to go back & forth, so I can't give you very specific details on what was better. Maybe Wayne can recall that better as he was the only other person there, and obviously knows his setup better than I do.

And I've had the opportunity to compare my Napalm with a Transparent Audio Reference AES/EBU digital ($1,200). They were damn close. But the Napalm sounded a bit less harsh in vocals & a bit more life-like than the Transparent. So I was happy that my Napalm not only stood up to a much more expensive digital, but was even a bit better... :mrgreen:

I currently use 3 digitals in my setup. 2 are regular Silver bullet cryo'd Bolders, the other is the Cryo'd Napalm Ultra. And when I have the extra $ to do it, I'll replace the standard cables with Napalm's.

jasonc

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2004, 08:23 pm »
Thanks Bubba.  I think I may just get the Napalm.  I used to own the standard digital then the standard Bullet Plug terminated.   Both of which I liked very much.

Jay S

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2004, 01:53 pm »
Jason,

Yes, do get the Napalm.  Mine replaced the "regular" Bolder digital with bullet plugs.  The difference was quite clear from the start.  It is even clearer when you switch back from the Napalm to the regular digital cable.  

Enjoy.

- Jay

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Stereovox HDVX, VS Bolder NAPALM
« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2004, 06:06 pm »
Quote from: jasonc
Has anyone compared these two digital cables?

Perhaps a better comparison would be the Napalm vs the HDVX combined with Bolder RCA Inline Purifiers with Bybee.
Hello, First it's the HDXV. Recently, I sent my HDXV to two different members here on AC. The first was satfrat, to compare it to his Ridge Street Digital with twin bybee's. His time with the cable is over. I then sent it to Bubba966 , just this week (saw this thread ), so he could compare it to his Bolder Napalm Digital with twin bybee's. I hope their views will be expressed in time as to how it compared to their digital cables. :)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2004, 05:36 am »
You got a BIG mouth Lonewolf,,, J/K. :lol: Actually I wasn't planning on making any comments as my comparisons was done on an entry level Sony DVD and this is definitely the weak link of my system. That will be rectified next week when I receive a used Music Hall CD-25 that I got off A'gon and ha it sent out for modifying on the digital end only with a LC Audio LClock XO3 and a few other goodies. Anywho, seeing how Lonewolf thru my name out, I'll reluctantly comment. I thought the HDXV was the best cable I've ever heard. This cable brought out the inner details, especially in the midbass region and had a very natural ACCURATE sound to it. And that's why I liked my Ridge Street Digital Link/2 silver Bybee's better, I don't want accurate, I want dynamic. As a comparison, the HDXV is like white rice while my digital cable is like curried white rice. And I LOVE curried rice. :lol: There was some tunes like the low note songs of Pat Metheny that would seem veiled in comparison to the rich clarity of the HDXV. But with most CD's, my Ridge Street Bybee digital was just more intertaining to listen too, guess I'm not a purist. :D But for $100, the Stereovox is one hell of a digital cable even tho the RCA plugs are a bitch to connect, virgin tight they are. :mrgreen:  Regards, Robin

Carlman

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2004, 02:10 pm »
I think the effects of the cable are somewhat dependent on the DAC and transport.  The less things there are to 'fix' the less the effects will be.  I heard the HDXV on my system compared to my 'normal' Audience Conductor cable.  I didn't really hear any difference.  However, I have a bybee on the output of my transport and the DAC has been upgraded with all sorts of changes.  And, it has this 'C-lock' function that is supposedly very good at minimizing jitter and mistakes.

I haven't heard much of a difference with digital cables in my system... I'd bet most people would really have to strain to hear the difference of good cable A vs. good cable B...  The only times I've heard a difference is with the free video cable that was included with my DVD player. (and it wasn't huge, just not quite as natural sounding)  So, just something to keep in mind.. I know my system is resolving in other ways, just not this one...

bubba966

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2004, 06:03 am »
Yeah, I've currently got lonewolfy's HDXV (and his Onix Thunder as well :lol: ). I've run 'em both in for a bit over 100 hours.

But I'm waiting for my 8th Nerve room treatments to arrive before I get serious about A/B'ing digitals. And if Airborne Express can figure out how to deliver a package to my house, then I can get going... :roll:

Carl,

You're right that the impact of digitals is somewhat system dependant. I've heard my Cryo'd Napalm Ultra in a few different systems so far. And it's usually been real easy to discern how much better it's been than other cables. Except for Danny's setup at VSAC. I was amazed that there was hardly an improvement using my CNU in the setup he had going at VSAC, where it'd been a big improvement in every other setup I'd tried it in.

witchdoctor

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2004, 03:25 am »
I have directly compared the HDXV with the Bolder digital cryoed bullet plugs with 1 inline bybee.
The Bolder is much more dynamic and warm.
The HDXV is much more detailed and throws a better soundstage.
I am looking for a cable that combines both charecteristics and will be auditioning some new ones.
In my system the Bolder sounds better as Paradigm speakers favor warmth and the HDXV's are a little bright.

jasonc

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2004, 05:08 am »
Thanks Witchdoctor,
I've had the Naplam for a day now and am enjoying it a great deal.  Experienced a litte audio nervosa at first.  The napalm has such a prestine presentation.  I had to do some adjusting of the mid/treble levels on my 626's to make me the satisfied customer I am right now.  
This cable has without a doubt taken my system to a whole new level  :mrgreen:.

Thanks Wayne!

bubba966

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2004, 05:42 am »
I've still not had a chance to properly do more extensive tests between the HDXV & my Cryo'd Napalm Ultra (which I'll refer to as the CNU).

I did run the HDXV in for a solid 100 hours before I listened to it at all. And it'd already been plenty broke in before that.

I casually watched one movie with the HDXV after I put 100 hours on it. And I found it to be quite detailed, but a bit too bright. After the movie was over, I put my CNU back in so that I could watch another movie, because I couldn't listen to HDXV anymore at that moment. It was just too bright to listen to for extended periods. I was beginning to think that I might have some sort of problem. But since that moment, a few other people have also mentioned that they've found the HDXV to be a bit on the bright side.

Since then I've installed a bunch of 8th Nerve room treatments. And I've gotten even more detail with my CNU than I had before. So shortly I'll run some more in-depth tests between the CNU, the HDXV, and a few other cables I have around here at the moment.

jasonc, glad to hear that you're enjoying your Napalm. I'm happy that Wayne did end up building such a cable. I tried for a while to get him to build a digital w/Bybee. And eventually he tried it out and ended up with the Napalm. I've been more than pleased with mine. And as far as I'm aware everyone that's ordered one has also been most pleased with it as well.

witchdoctor, which bullet plugs were on the Bolder digital & inline you've got? I had a cryo'd silver bullet Bolder digital first. And found my cryo'd Napalm ultra to be even more detailed with a much more open & realistic soundstage than the regular cryo'd digital w/silver plugs had.

Lak

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2004, 12:37 pm »
Quote from: witchdoctor
I have directly compared the HDXV with the Bolder digital cryoed bullet plugs with 1 inline bybee.
The Bolder is much more dynamic and warm.
The HDXV is much more detailed and throws a better soundstage.
I am looking for a cable that combines both charecteristics and will be auditioning some new ones.
In my system the Bolder sounds better as Paradigm speakers favor warmth and the HDXV's are a little bright.

Witchdoctor,
Have you auditioned the Ridge Street Audio MSE Gen. II digital cable?
If not you might want to consider giving it a try.
Best regards,
Lak

Juan R

« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2004, 01:12 pm »
Where about the Audience AU-24. If any compared this one with the other two.

witchdoctor

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2004, 02:06 pm »
Hi Bubba,
I have the crBullet plugs, thanks for letting me know there is a significant difference.
I am borrowing the Au4 fron Phil Lamm and the Ridge St. from lonewolf, I have a few others on order. I'll post my findings when I finish comparing,
Thanks

byteme

« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2004, 06:15 pm »
Quote from: Juan R
Where about the Audience AU-24. If any compared this one with the other two.

Juan, I compared the HDXV to the AU-24 and I found the following:

"Prior to the HDVX the cable that had bested them all was an Audience AU24 digital. The HDXV was noticable better than even the audience in terms of clarity, lack of fatigue, palpability and detail. There was/is nothing over emphasized, things just sound real. It's an excellent cable made even better by the price."

I did compare the AU-24's predecessor (Virtual Dynamics Audition) to a standard Boulder digital and liked the AUdition better.  The audition was in turn soundly beaten by the AU-24 which couldn't keep up with the HDXV.

Any more cables and I'm going to need a map or something! :P

asdfeproiu

« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2004, 09:31 am »
What do you guys think of Rhino Cables' 'Premium' coaxial cable?  It is based on the same JR design as the standard Bolder Digital Cable.  If I want/need BNC connectors, would the Rhino Cable be a viable alternative to the HDXV?

http://www.rhinocables.net/

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2004, 09:50 am »
Quote from: Lak

Witchdoctor,
Have you auditioned the Ridge Street Audio MSE Gen. ...
                                       Larry, Witchdoctor heard my Ridge Street digital cable w/2 silver Bybees during his recent visit. I think he liked what he heard. At the time, I also had 2 standard Z-Sleeves on the cable. I now have a Ultra Z-Sleeve on it. Larry, this NEEDS to be heard. I'm just about begging Robert to give this a listen. :wink:  Comparing the HDXV to this combo would be like comparing a roach to a 3 paper doober. :smoke: Ahhhh, those were the days,,, 8) Regards, Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2004, 03:36 pm »
Had a local dealer over yesterday and he got to hear the Argent vs HDXV on a Birdland dac (which he brought over and is very nice) and my Electrocompaniet ECD-1.

In both cases we heard the sizzle and grain in the treble quite easily vs the Argent Audio ic.  In fact, the Argent sounded better using an adapter one one end (Birdland only takes a BNC, not RCA).  

At some point I definetly want to try the Poiema digital ic from  Ridge Street, but for now I am going to stick with the Argent Audio.

GW