Partexpress?

chgolatin2

Partexpress?
« on: 25 Jan 2010, 07:33 am »
Has anyone purchase speakers or subwoofers from the company above?  Damn some of their prices are just too damn low.... :drool:

ctviggen

Re: Partexpress?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2010, 12:19 pm »
If you mean this company:

http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm

I've bought tons of stuff from them, but not speaker parts.

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2010, 01:23 pm »
I have. They're good to deal with (had one problem, but they fixed it) and are another great resource for DIY parts, tools and other neat stuff.

Wayner  :D

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2010, 01:58 pm »
Spent more money at PE than I care to admit.  They are the usual go-to for when I am speaker building.   Madisound is the other. 

Both companies offer great service.   

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:05 pm »
I have heard, at a local AC'rs place, a sub kit of theirs - I think it was the Titanic 10.

Sounded good, and for the money a good choice.

I get killed with border fees and taxes etc when they ship to Canada though, so I tend to lean on Creative Sound Solutions in Canada, or Solen for my goodies.

I have also ordered from Danny at GR Research, and Kevin at DIY Cable.   

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:10 pm »
Yup, bought replacement speaker parts from them when I ruined one of my drivers (don't ask). I also bought a $100 subwoofer from them that is working phenominally in my home theater system. Gives me plenty of thump.

coke

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:51 pm »
I've bought lots of stuff from them. The downside is shipping cost. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2010, 03:08 pm »
PE is simply a very well run company with good prices and excellent customer support.  I have bought thousands of dollars of speaker components from them for the Jr. Audiophiles project over the past decade.  They usually have the lowest everyday prices and occasionally have close outs that are absolute steals.  Shipping is high, so I look for free shipping sales offers.
Madisound is smaller, and if you have a question, more knowledgeable. Prices are also quite reasonable.  You can't go wrong with either one.

turkey

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2010, 05:53 pm »
I have had good experiences with PE too.

I've mostly bought parts from them, but one of my friends bought one of their subs and it seemed to be pretty good. He modified it to be a servo sub with a kit he got from AudioXpress, and I heard it before and after. (It was improved a lot by the servo mod.)

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:07 pm »
My #1 source. I've bought a lot from them for several years.  Two beefs:
1.  The last two years, they have been out of stock on at least one item on 90% of my orders.  My opinion is that they carry too many SKU's and have so much money in inventory that they try to keep it to a minimum.
I just receiced the monthly sales flyer, got on the computer and the item I was interested is already out of stock - why bother putting it in the flyer?
2.  There is definitely profit in their high shipping costs.

cujobob

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:23 pm »
P.E. rocks...I considered getting their $25 speakers just to screw with...

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2010, 07:48 pm »
I just made a purchase from them for the first time. I purchased 2-8" Dayton woofers to replace a blown woofer in an old DLK 1 speaker. I replaced both so they matched. They sound good, a little more mid-rangy then the original, but they are just for my workshop and I have an EQ in the shop system to adjust that out.
Parts Express was great to order from with nice shipping tracking. I will order again from them.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2010, 08:36 pm »
I've done quite a bit of business with them over the years and have been very satisfied with their products and customer service.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

chgolatin2

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:41 am »
How are the Dayton subs from Parts-Expresss???

turkey

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2010, 03:13 pm »

My friend got one of the inexpensive 12" models. I think he paid about $130.

It wasn't bad at all stock. It did sound a lot better after the servo mod though. (It seemed to be tighter and more powerful afterwards.)

gitarretyp

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2010, 04:26 pm »

Are you asking about their raw drivers or the pre-built subs they sell?

BobM

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:16 pm »
My friend got one of the inexpensive 12" models. I think he paid about $130.

It wasn't bad at all stock. It did sound a lot better after the servo mod though. (It seemed to be tighter and more powerful afterwards.)

What "the servo mod" and where can I get more info on it?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2010, 03:30 pm »
Bought a few things from there; mostly was in person at the Dayton (Springboro) location while I was in Ohio for business.

decal

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2010, 03:52 pm »
Great company to do business with.Order a catalog and they also send you quarterly(if my memory serves me right!)sales papers  with great savings.I have done a lot of business with them and have had absolutely zero problems.They have a very knowledgable sales and tech staff that will help you out and not make you feel like an idiot!!Highly recommended. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2010, 03:59 pm »
+1-Parts Express is a fantastic source :thumb: