Bob Carver's KT88, Telefunken

BrianT

Re: Bob Carver's KT88, Telefunken
« Reply #40 on: 4 Feb 2010, 10:48 pm »
Thanks for clearing up my lackluster findings. P.s. I dig how you can see the photographers reflection in the kt88 cans. Nice RACK dude.

Hey Doug,
That reflection is me  :eyebrows:  Glad you like my rack.
Now I have all those tube's I have to find a use for the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature. (425 x5) I probably will build a system for my daughter, but then again I might just keep it.
Brian

toobluvr

« Reply #41 on: 4 Feb 2010, 10:59 pm »

Sorry for having a good time. In the future I will be much more astute, like you swell sir.

swell sir?!    :o

:rotflmao:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #42 on: 4 Feb 2010, 11:02 pm »
Hey Doug,
That reflection is me  :eyebrows:  Glad you like my rack.
Now I have all those tube's I have to find a use for the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature. (425 x5) I probably will build a system for my daughter, but then again I might just keep it.
Brian

Any older Sunfire Theater Grand processor could be gotten used very cheap and would match up sweet with that amp for a nice music/hometheater system. I love my Theater Grand 4 processor being matched up with my two Butler 3150 tube hybrid amps. Very musical for my ear but probably nothing like those KT-88.  :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

BrianT

« Reply #43 on: 4 Feb 2010, 11:55 pm »

Any older Sunfire Theater Grand processor could be gotten used very cheap and would match up sweet with that amp for a nice music/hometheater system. I love my Theater Grand 4 processor being matched up with my two Butler 3150 tube hybrid amps. Very musical for my ear but probably nothing like those KT-88.  :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin.

I don't call around $1700.00 cheap, thats the last selling price on audiogon for one. I could use it for H/T but then I would have to purchase a H/T preamp. But as I have 3 H/T receivers
( 2 x Pioneer Elite 1 x Sunfire Ultimate II) on 3 high def T/V 2 x 52" 1 x 65") it does not make sense to spend any more cash on H/T.

Once I get my 2 channel system complete (have VPI Classic T/T on order) I will start looking for a good 2 channel pre amp
and build a 2 channel system bi amping the speakers using the Cinema Grand, and give it my daughter, she is 24 and into vinyl.

Brian

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #44 on: 5 Feb 2010, 12:36 am »
Robin.

I don't call around $1700.00 cheap, thats the last selling price on audiogon for one. I could use it for H/T but then I would have to purchase a H/T preamp. But as I have 3 H/T receivers
( 2 x Pioneer Elite 1 x Sunfire Ultimate II) on 3 high def T/V 2 x 52" 1 x 65") it does not make sense to spend any more cash on H/T.

Once I get my 2 channel system complete (have VPI Classic T/T on order) I will start looking for a good 2 channel pre amp
and build a 2 channel system bi amping the speakers using the Cinema Grand, and give it my daughter, she is 24 and into vinyl.

Brian

Sounds like your cup runeth over with toys and it also seems like a pretty sound plan you have there for your daughter. Have fun!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

dangerbird

« Reply #45 on: 5 Feb 2010, 02:04 am »
We listened to a pair similar to these at Carverfest in 08,, they were simply astounding,,all of the tube qualities and characteristics,,but with speed,, they are very fast and detailed,,IIRC,they drove some ALIII's and some Plat Mk IV's.Bob told us that the amps were designed so that the output tubes should not require replacment for about 20 years.At the end of the fest, a drawing was held,,and one very lucky attendee went home with them,,nope,,it was not me,,   :D

BrianT

« Reply #46 on: 6 Feb 2010, 12:52 pm »

seems like a pretty sound plan you have there for your daughter. Have fun!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

Thanks for the vote of encouragement, for my daughters plan, it will take some time but I will work it out.

I just checked your system, your cup is doing very well as well. :thumb: Very nice list of equipment. :green:

Brian

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #47 on: 6 Feb 2010, 03:32 pm »
Robin,

I just posted to try and clear up some of the confusion between you and Doug, hope all is settled now.

Yes I am 1 of the fortunate few, they sound so nice.

Brian
hi brian,

beautiful amps, i'd love to hear them some time.   :thumb:

no confusion at all between robin and myself - i knew  these rare amps have been made for about two years; robin disagreed, and was shown to be wrong.  the only confusion is how he reacted when he was shown the error - like i had a problem or something.   :lol:

doug s.

JakeJ

« Reply #48 on: 7 Feb 2010, 06:28 pm »
This has been an interesting thread...for the most part.

However, my pruning shears are starting to get itchy.  Please keep it on topic. Enough of the bickering.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #49 on: 28 Feb 2010, 12:28 am »
Additionaly I have heard rumors of a replica (never commercialy available) of the Silver One pre amp, a prototype preamp desined specificaly for the silver seven and silver nine mono tube blocks.

I believe that's owned by DaveS over at www.carveraudio.com

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=11266

Weitrhino (Rodney) is the fellow who won the raffle for the Tim de Paravicini/Bob Carver monoblocks.  Rodney's a good guy, he deserved them.

Finally, a lengthy Q&A series from the men who designed these amps:
http://www.thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1226

weitrhino

« Reply #50 on: 22 Oct 2010, 06:24 pm »
Weitrhino is now in the house.  The link Steve has posted above has grown a bit since all these months have passed.  There is a great deal more info concerning Bob's eBay amps for any tube-o-phile interested.

cheers to all

JakeJ

« Reply #51 on: 22 Oct 2010, 08:16 pm »
Welcome to AC weitrhino!

Thanks for the update.

weitrhino

« Reply #52 on: 23 Oct 2010, 02:59 am »
Thank you, Jake.

I have privately contacted a couple board members concerning documentation of Bob's eBay amps, but I'll also make it known here that if anyone happens to have captured the Q&A from the very first pair sold in June, 2008,  Please contact me.

cheers,  weitrhino