Death and your audio legacy

BobM

Death and your audio legacy
« on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:09 pm »
Just wondering if any of you ever thought about what will happen to your system components, your CD collection, your vinyl, your box o'tweaks, your $$$ power cords and such when you pass into the great beyond?

- Have you left instructions for the wife or kids? Will they want to keep it for thir own use?
- Do you have an audio friend that will do their best to liquidate your Precious for your spouse?

I know my older daughter will want to keep and go through my prog CD collection. My younger daughter will want anything Beatles and probably much of the other pop/rock stuff. Nobody will claim my jazz, and no one will want my vinyl. As far as the system components themselves I think my wife will contact one of my audio buddies to put them up for sale and get whatever they may be worth at the time (probably far less as components than as the highly polished system that it is  :thumb:).

Big Red Machine

Re: Death and your audio legacy
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:13 pm »
They'll be rich beyond their wildest dreams at $.25 on the $1!!

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:21 pm »
They'll be rich beyond their wildest dreams at $.25 on the $1!!

:lol: :lol: Good one Pete!

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:23 pm »
Yeah, I half expect all my audio buddies to be at my deathsbed garage sale to get all my expensive toys at garage sale prices. Letchers that you all are!  8) :lol:

"Nah ... McIntosh is just the Sony of the British Isles. It's not worth much."

turkey

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:20 pm »
Yeah, I half expect all my audio buddies to be at my deathsbed garage sale to get all my expensive toys at garage sale prices. Letchers that you all are!  8) :lol:

"Nah ... McIntosh is just the Sony of the British Isles. It's not worth much."

I don't think I understand the British Isles reference...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:21 pm »
I have all of your full names and addresses. I watch the obituaries for each of your respective cities each day. I'll take care of your stuff when you pass.

>> HERE'S another thread <<.

Have a nice day.
Bob

chadh

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:23 pm »
I don't think I understand the British Isles reference...

McIntosh sounds just a little Scottish, don't you think?

Chad

turkey

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:40 pm »
McIntosh sounds just a little Scottish, don't you think?

Chad

Ah, ok. I was trying to figure out how he got from New York to the UK. :)

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:12 pm »
What will my wife do with my Lexicon BD-30?   :D  Should she ask for .25 on the Oppo dollar?

PS - I really don't own one but I'm facinated by the long thread that keeps growing on this very player. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:27 pm »
I want to be buried in the chassis of my amp.... :lol:

hmen

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:33 pm »
I just feel bad for whoever has to untangle all the wires behind my equipment.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:42 pm »
 :lol:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2010, 11:13 pm »

As a retired Fire Capt, I'm reminded of what happened post 9/11 in FDNY...(this was better when I dramatized it for fellow SFFD members, holding the imaginary widow in my arms)...Some time after 9/11, an FDNY member visits the home of his bestest friend in the world (we'll call him Joe), one of NYs bravest FFs who died on duty on 9/11...he visits w/ Joe's widow and they console each other talking about old times.  While they both stand, she breaks down and sobs uncontrollably...they come together, her head on his shoulders...He holds her closer and closer, finally squeezing her to him, while she continues sobbing.  While he still holds her and strokes her soft hair on her head, she pulls slightly back, looks up into his eyes, he edges his face closer to hers, and finally they kiss for the first time.  While they are still in each others arms he says something like, "Joe would want us to be together, Joe would want you to be happy and get on with your life..."  And the rest, as they say, is history.

Yes, indeed...quite a few (maybe around 50) single lucky FDNY FF's ended up wedded to their deceased best friend's widow/FDNY member.  The widows just happened to be the recent recipients of quite huge stashes of cash insurance payoffs, money from 9/11 charity funds and payoffs from the US govt. 

(A secondary - some would insist primary - purpose of the US govt payoff money was to insure that no govt and/or corporate entity would be held liable for negligence for the 9/11 catastrophe.  Surviving family members had to either sign waivers to never sue for 9/11 liablity or forgo the govt payoff money....very convenient...)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2010, 11:18 pm »
I just feel bad for whoever has to untangle all the wires behind my equipment.

...and under the carpet, in the walls, in the ceiling, in the workroom, in drawers...

Bemopti123

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30 pm »
Shucks, this is a good question. 

I would prepare in my death bed to make a list of people who appreciate audio and invite them to my funeral.  By then, I would have sold several items or given them away. 

The last goodbye for me would be when all invited audiophools would sit down and talk about me listening to some precious records of mine with the one rig that I had set up for the moment in my listening room.

With the money I got from the sale of my items, I would have my wife/children buy some good stiff drinks as well as hiring some good catering service for my guests.

Finally, I would have my significant other/children conduct a raffle for entire system for the people in attendance, that is if my children would want nothing to do with the audio. 

Good tunes.  Good drinks. Good food and a stereo to take home.   That will be my legacy.

jakelieb

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2010, 11:52 pm »
Over the years I've tried to teach my 2 sons about music.  I think I've done a pretty good job.  Maybe not a deep appreciation of jazz and blues that I love, but they both like music, so it will go to a good place.  Lots of our money went for music lessons, guitars plus tons of cds. :thumb:

So I figure it will all go to them.  Hoping they don't fight over the viny!! :nono: I do have 2 turntables and some other old equipment so I guess they both will get a decent stereo out of the deal.

Jake

hmen

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2010, 02:54 am »
The scary thing to me is that once people start going through all the equipment I have stashed away in my house they're going to realize how crazy I actually am.

Bemopti123

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2010, 03:33 am »
Perhaps I should begin teaching my two little young ones about the equipment I have.  My 4 year old is quite interested in anything I do and has yet to damage or mishandle anything I have.  He likes to come to play in the small audio room. 

Will need to really teach them about quality reproduction so they avoid "convenient" audio files for real stuff. 

real:  FM, vinyl and physical CDs.

decal

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2010, 03:41 am »
The dog gets everything!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2010, 04:06 am »
I am pretty sure my girls would walk away from most of my gear, but one of my friends would help them out I am sure...!