Death and your audio legacy

PMAT

Re: Death and your audio legacy
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jan 2010, 05:47 am »
Sick subject. I have thought about it though, before this thread. Funny that you should bring it to light. CD's will go for $2, vinyl will be a buck each, and the leftovers get donated. The speakers will get blown by rap, the electronics will then drive cheap surround speakers. My turntables will gather dust and I will spin in my grave. I am writing a new will tomorrow. Bury me with my gear. I will need it in my afterlife!

BobM

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2010, 02:10 pm »
You know, the vast majority of us think we'll be able to dole it out or sell it off in our medical decline, but what if the "event" happens suddenly? I know my wife will probably just let it all sit as is for a while, probably not even going into the basement to look at it without breaking down. Yes, she loves me and I love her and would probably do the same thing with her stash of fabric and crafty things.

But I know her quilting friends and eventually would contact them to help me unload her stash. I'm sure she would eventually call an audio buddy to help her unload my "investment" also.

The scary thing (as if this wasn't scary enough) is that the value I place on the system, not even the retail cost but the used market "replacement" cost, would probably not be met on the sale. Especially true for the software, unless she wants to sell off vinyl and CD's one at a time on Amazon or e-bay. Not likely to happen - that's a huge amount of work.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2010, 02:44 pm »
The way things are going this may turn out to be a discussion about the future of our buggy whip collections. Ashes to ashes........and pearls before swine.

hifiman5

« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:08 pm »
I have thought often of this inevitable issue.  I may leave instructions on our computer for how mey heirs might sell the gear on Audiocircle/Audiogon.  As far as the vinyl and CDs, maybe a listing on Audiocircle/Audiogon for folks in the southcentral PA and surrounding area to come see the collection and make offers.  No kidding, there may be a few select recordings that have been so much a part of my listening that I would ask the family to keep them in the family.

I'll have to continue considering this issue... :o

Pez

« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:15 pm »
My wife has specific instructions to embalm my corpse in a seated position, place me in the sweet spot and play my Radiohead collection on infinite loop for the rest of time at 110 db.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:32 pm »
This is a dead issue. And silly, egotistical, take your pick. My audio legacy? Who am I, Saul Marantz? Yes, I have bought and sold, enjoyed and loved, a goodly number of audio products over my lifetime. But I fail to see where that can be seen as a legacy.

If you're talking about heirs recovering value from or actually using these things, well, great if it happens. It's all on them. If my wife goes first, they'll have a house legacy to deal with when I die and maybe a car legacy or two.
Then there's the snow shovel legacy and computer legacy and and my tea kettle and my hand made dining room set and photos and clothes and tools and the rental properties and the dog if he outlives me and so on and so forth.
Bottom line is: your audio legacy, much as it means to you, is just stuff. Your survivors are going to be much more concerned about missing you than any of the crap you obsessed about while living.
Try to picture your grandson trading your Modwright preamp away for a slightly used Gen 6 I-Pad.

JoshK

« Reply #26 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:54 pm »
This is why I like the DIY community.  Your legacy is what you taught the community.  Many have taught me a great deal.  Some day when I am older, and wiser, I will teach others what I have learned. The rest is just stuff as macrojack says. 

Give a man an amp and he'll sell it on audiogon tomorrow.  Teach a man to build an amp and he'll have amps for the rest of his days.