$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1280 on: 18 Apr 2010, 01:37 am »
Got it.

Meant to say IEC negative in my post above. :oops: (edited that one. . .)

Black to the "N" on the IEC

Red to the "L"

Chassis ground is the middle which is ground.

:dance:

giannettino

« Reply #1281 on: 18 Apr 2010, 10:08 am »
Hi..
i'm in Italy..and i'm waiting for my enclosure from HiFi2000 here in Italy

But..in the meanwhile.. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers

jtsnead

« Reply #1282 on: 18 Apr 2010, 11:17 am »
I hope it doea not sound BOXY  :lol:

Mariusz

« Reply #1283 on: 18 Apr 2010, 01:59 pm »
UPS version.... aaahhhaaa!!!

PS
it must be the worst day for Italy's industrial design inner circles. :lol:

Mariusz  :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #1284 on: 18 Apr 2010, 02:29 pm »
"Think inside the BOX"
 :thumb:

"sound BOXY"  "UPS version"
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ok I hope I can go back to sleep.

steve k

« Reply #1285 on: 18 Apr 2010, 03:18 pm »
This is one for "the gallery".

giannettino

« Reply #1286 on: 18 Apr 2010, 03:50 pm »
Ehy..is my "MusicalBox".. :P :oops:

parodielin

« Reply #1287 on: 18 Apr 2010, 04:17 pm »
What is the size of the hole for mouting the 300VA transformer?

Thanks!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1288 on: 18 Apr 2010, 06:23 pm »
What is the size of the hole for mouting the 300VA transformer?

Thanks!

The 400VA transformer requires a .313" hole.

pardales

« Reply #1289 on: 18 Apr 2010, 07:00 pm »
Well, there is no doubt that the Class D amp is a quality piece of gear. The amp is very dynamic, revealing of inner detail, and reasonably well balanced from top to bottom. There was a lot to recommend it and, of course, it has power to spare. It could easily rock my Horn Shoppe Model 1's  without breaking a sweat; the Horns do reward lots of clean power when played at loudish volumes.

Interestingly enough there were a lot of similarities in the sound between the Miniwatt amp and the Class D and the differences were not of kind. The differences were subtle. I thought the Miniwatt was more nuanced, with more layers to the sound stage as well as a deeper soundstage, and it might have grabbed the bottom end a bit better than the Class D. The Class D may have been slightly more transparent and dynamic. The Miniwatt had better presence. All this said, I prefer the Miniwatt.

The Class D probably had about 100 hours on it and might have needed some more hours, whether for break-in or for me to get used to it. It is a really impressive performer and it would not surprise me if other people would prefer the Class D over the Miniwatt -- depending on personal preference and system synergy.

A fun experience. If anyone is interested in taking this Class D amp off my hands send me a PM. There are pictures of it on page 55 of this thread, and some build details on page 56.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1290 on: 18 Apr 2010, 07:04 pm »
Well, there is no doubt that the Class D amp is a quality piece of gear. The amp is very dynamic, revealing of inner detail, and reasonably well balanced from top to bottom. There was a lot to recommend it and, of course, it has power to spare. It could easily rock my Horn Shoppe Model 1's  without breaking a sweat; the Horns do reward lots of clean power when played at loudish volumes.

Interestingly enough there were a lot of similarities in the sound between the Miniwatt amp and the Class D and the differences were not of kind. The differences were subtle. I thought the Miniwatt was more nuanced, with more layers to the sound stage as well as a deeper soundstage, and it might have grabbed the bottom end a bit better than the Class D. The Class D may have been slightly more transparent and dynamic. The Miniwatt had better presence. All this said, I prefer the Miniwatt.

The Class D probably had about 100 hours on it and might have needed some more hours, whether for break-in or for me to get used to it. It is a really impressive performer and it would not surprise me if other people would prefer the Class D over the Miniwatt -- depending on personal preference and system synergy.

A fun experience. If anyone is interested in taking this Class D amp off my hands send me a PM. There are pictures of it on page 55 of this thread, and some build details on page 56.

Now you should try the Super D amp...

Nick77

« Reply #1291 on: 18 Apr 2010, 07:11 pm »

If you had the larger power supply I think your preference might be different. And then the Super does take it up another level.

Again your amp is gorgeous!  :thumb:

pardales

« Reply #1292 on: 18 Apr 2010, 07:24 pm »
If you had the larger power supply I think your preference might be different. And then the Super does take it up another level.

Again your amp is gorgeous!  :thumb:

Thanks...it is a nice build. Maybe i'll get to hear the newer, more powerful, version some day soon. I'd like to hear how the amp sounds with a tube pre in front of it as well. 

Mariusz

« Reply #1293 on: 18 Apr 2010, 07:55 pm »
Thanks...it is a nice build. Maybe i'll get to hear the newer, more powerful, version some day soon. I'd like to hear how the amp sounds with a tube pre in front of it as well.

Get Dodd Audio buffer kit.  :wink:

MLS

« Reply #1294 on: 18 Apr 2010, 09:50 pm »
Pardales,

I have never heard either amp but I wonder if you had a pre-amp rather than the added volume pot your results may have been different. And I think a tube pre-amp would have made even more of a difference.

Just a thought that came to mind.

Scott

pardales

« Reply #1295 on: 18 Apr 2010, 10:01 pm »
Pardales,

I have never heard either amp but I wonder if you had a pre-amp rather than the added volume pot your results may have been different. And I think a tube pre-amp would have made even more of a difference.

Just a thought that came to mind.

Scott

I wondered the same things, Scott. It is not hard for me to understand people liking this amp. It really sounded good. Either of the things you mentioned could have made a difference. I have tried various non-tube designs over the years and always seem to come back to tubes though. This amp sounded more like tubes than many other designs I've heard. Mine is for sale by the way, if anyone is interested (PM me).

« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2010, 06:12 pm by pardales »

pjchappy

« Reply #1296 on: 19 Apr 2010, 07:28 pm »
OK, here is 1 of 2 of my amps near completion, using jtwrace's cases.  I only say near because I plan on replacing some of the wire.  I am going to be replacing this wire because I will have 2 of these amps and I want to use the identical wire for both.  I discovered I wouldn't have enough, so I have some more of the solid core copper wire on order.  I am also a little concerned the output wire may be a bit too small of a gauge (18) to handle the power??? :dunno:

I have no clue on any real world difference it would make, but I kept the input and output wires the same length on both channels.  If it doesn't make a difference, it'll end up being a cleaner layout.  I know it would be a small difference in capacitance and resistance.  Would different lengths on both the inputs and outputs be of concern at all?

I plan on replacing the blue output wire (silver plated copper) with the same solid core copper wire used for the power.  That wire just fits into the outputs on the board.  I had Tom send the amp to me without the input and output jacks.

Will also use the same wire to replace the gray covered 2 conductor cord going from the fuse to the IEC.

Let me know what you think.  Should have this amp up and running in a couple days.  It basically is good to go now, but I don't want to move everything to hook it up twice.

Will take pics of the final version later this week.

Paul

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1297 on: 19 Apr 2010, 07:49 pm »
Good job, Paul... looks nice.  Thanks for posting the pics.

What's the orange wire for on top of the tranny?

pjchappy

« Reply #1298 on: 19 Apr 2010, 07:57 pm »
Thanks.  I'll clean up the wiring a bit more, too.

Low voltage output(s).  At least one is.  Not sure if they both are.  Just have to separately heatshrink all 4 wires, to prevent a short.

Paul

steve k

« Reply #1299 on: 19 Apr 2010, 08:54 pm »
Looking good Paul! I thought this day would never come.  :wink:
steve