Zu Druid MkIV/08
Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 Amplifier
Red Wine Audio Isabella with DAC
Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 3 with superlock4
BPT Battery Supply for Off-Ramp 3
Macbook Pro as Source
JVC QL-Y66F direct drive turntable
Jolida JD-9A phono stage with NOS tubes

I'm looking for an amplifier to replace the RWA 30.2.  It's a wonderful amplifier with warmth, body and weight.

I recently had a chance to audition the First Watt J2 in my system.  The J2 soundstages incredibly well, has glorious detail, and it tracks the nuances of music and microdynamics better than anything I've ever heard (although admittedly I haven't heard that much).  Your ears may be different but ultimately the J2 was a bit fatiguing to me, a bit too much tonally tipped up for my taste, and surprisingly a bit bass shy for the very efficient Druids.

So I think what I'm looking for is something in-between the RWA 30.2 and the First Watt J2.  This list might seem all over the map, but I'm open minded ... anyway, some amplifiers that have been recommended to me or that I've been thinking about are:

BAT VK-55SE (used)
Music Reference RM-200 (used)
Music Reference RM10 (new or used)
Yamamoto A-08S (used or new)
Korneff 45 (new)
PrimaLuna Dialogue 5 (new)
Audiopax 88 (used)
Atma-sphere S-30 (used)

What do you guys think of the above amplifiers?  Any obvious candidates that I'm missing?

Of course I understand that auditioning is the best thing, but for some of these amplifiers, it's quite hard to find a dealer, and for others, if I could find a dealer, I couldn't afford the dealer's price (and I refuse to visit a dealer if I have no intention to buy).

Thanks!

Wilson

sts9fan

Re: Amplifier Recommendation for Druids?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2010, 01:04 pm »
How about a FirstWatt F3 or F5?  I used my druids with a F1, Zv9(pretty much an F3) and F4.  I liked them all with the Druids.  Although I also liked T-amps with them so I am sure the RW is great.  Have you tried any amps with a bit more power?  I found that even though they are sesitive they really sing with more powerful amps. 

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2010, 01:14 pm »
Did you see Macrojack's set for sale?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76227.msg717477;topicseen#new

Seems like a pretty sweet deal!

Tbadder1

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2010, 01:18 pm »
I've owned Druids before and they like a certain amount of power.  I'd look for 50 to 75 watts per channel of class A solid state performance.  The perfect amp for them in my opinion?  Clayton S40.  That would kick butt.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2010, 01:24 pm »
Clayton S40.  That would kick butt.

I'm not familiar with the Druids (other then seeing them at RMAF) but I can say after being an owner of Clayton M-200's and now Clayton M-300's.  His amps are awesome!!! 

Mariusz

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2010, 02:20 pm »
Srajan compared Dayens Ampino amp to FW in his review. It costs fraction of FW and can be converted to run on batteries (not sure ...... switching +- 24V PS).
I wouldn't disregard the use of tube amps. One of the better Zu demonstrations that I've heard (IMPO) involved SET monos. I would also be a little intrigued by Yarland SET el34 and 2a3 amps http://www.yarland.eu/products/amplifiers/fv34aiiisa/.

Mariusz :thumb:

mca

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:40 pm »
What is it about the 30.2 that you don't like?

bluemike

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:41 pm »
I've heard them powered with smaller Atmasphere amps ..very nice indeed

schw06

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:50 pm »
Wilson,
   If you can swing the Audiopax, you won't regret it. That amp is ridiculously good. The big concern with Audiopax was service but...I just got an e-mail from them today and they are back on the scene with a new website!! The audiopax are amps are the best I've heard on Zu speakers. A longstanding owner that is extremely knowledgeable loves 845 amps with them. What makes Zu speakers great (IMO) is the sense of presence and dynamics. If you have an amp that doesn't have those strengths, you aren't getting your money's worth out of the speakers. If you can attend one of the Zu parties, that is a great start. Even if it costs you $200 to fly to one of them, it is worth your time because you can meet the owners(extremely knowledgeable and helpful) and get to hear various amps on them and decide what you like in a side by side comparison.
David

SkyBlue

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2010, 11:14 pm »
I've got Zu Druids IV with older Nuforce 9.02 monoblocks. I'm curious how the Druids would sound with an Odyssey Audio Kartago amp.

sts9fan

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2010, 12:03 am »
I ran my Druids with a Kartago and it was good.  O ultimately sold the amp because of it's high gain which the Druids do not need and that it did not
play nice with my tube pre

Ambiance

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2010, 12:11 am »
I tryed my Ear Yoshino V20 on a set of Druids. That sounded torific with high dynamiks and focused and stil very open. No noise from amp either, Tim`s spesiality!

A.

wilsynet

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2010, 02:10 pm »
I spoke to someone at Zu and they gushed about how good the Atma-sphere sounds with the Druids.  Going to take the plunge unheard and will report back hopefully late next week!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2010, 02:55 pm »
I spoke to someone at Zu and they gushed about how good the Atma-sphere sounds with the Druids.  Going to take the plunge unheard and will report back hopefully late next week!

Which one are you getting?

wilsynet

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2010, 10:53 pm »
Atma-sphere S30 (no options).

ncblue

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2010, 10:56 pm »
Naim Supernait or XS integrateds.

bluemike

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2010, 02:22 am »
Atma-sphere S30 (no options).
Good choice that's the amps I heard the druids with ..fwiw I thought they were very good

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2010, 02:43 am »
I used several amps with my Druids. It seemed like they were most comfortable with a 30 watt minimum. The Atmosphere S-30 will probably be excellent --- aside from heat. I owned a pair back in the 90s (don't recall model #) which had 6 output tubes per amp. Ralph came up with a mod that converted them to two giant Russian radio tubes per amp. Either config was great in my Rocky Mountain winter but they really started to heat the room come springtime and it got to be way too much in the summer, even at 7000 feet above sea level. Of course, I did not own Druids back then.

wilsynet

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2010, 01:11 am »
Well, after only one evening with the Atma-sphere S30, I think it is fantastic.  It is 30 watts into 8 ohms, and 45 watts into 16 ohms, so it's somewhere in the middle for the 12 ohm Druid.  Also I'm listening fairly near field and it is not a large room so I think it'll be fine.

It does not seem to be too hot, perhaps the latest iterations run a bit cooler.

I'll post more listening impressions later.  So far, it is very good indeed.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2010, 01:17 am »
Well, after only one evening with the Atma-sphere S30, I think it is fantastic.  It is 30 watts into 8 ohms, and 45 watts into 16 ohms, so it's somewhere in the middle for the 12 ohm Druid.  Also I'm listening fairly near field and it is not a large room so I think it'll be fine.

It does not seem to be too hot, perhaps the latest iterations run a bit cooler.

I'll post more listening impressions later.  So far, it is very good indeed.

Glad to hear it is working out.

I know my Atma-Sphere amps aren't going anywhere.

George