Amplifier Recommendation for Druids?

wilsynet

Re: Amplifier Recommendation for Druids?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2010, 01:33 am »
What are you using for the NOS 6SN7 tubes for your MA-1 monoblocks, any recommendations?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2010, 02:02 am »
I have five 6SN7's in each amp and here is the config I use:

V1a - Tung-Sol VT-231 Round Plates (most critical location)
V1b - Sylvania 6SN7W metal base (most critical location)
V2 -   RCA 6SN7-GT (1940's - super quiet per measurements)
V3 -   RCA 6SN7-GT (1940's - super quiet per measurements)
V4 -   Sylvania GTB Chrome Domes (driver tube from the 1950's)

Here is the location of each 6SN7 tube:

V1a   V1b
             V2     V3
                 V4 

The Tung-Sol Round Plate/Sylvania 6SN7W Metal Base provide an awesome combination of detail, warmth, slam, and presence.  The V2 and V3 slots don't seem to make a significant difference, so I don't recommend using really expensive tubes there.

If the prices for the Tung-Sol Round Plate/Sylvania 6SN7W Metal Base combo has you grabbing your chest, a Raytheon VT-231/Ken Rad VT-231 combo is pretty darn good as well at a fraction of the price.

This should translate to the S-30, but you probably want to check with Ralph and the various boards to make sure.

George

Gopher

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jul 2010, 12:06 pm »
Are you still enjoying the Atmaspheres OP?  What was it about the Sig 30.2s you were trying to get away from. 

I've got a pair of the new Zu Soul Superflys and am looking for amplifier recommendations myself.  Those atma s30s sound like they'd be a great match, but are too expensive for me new and I'm not sure I've ever seen them come up used.  The more wallet friendly Cayin TA-30 option looks interesting to me as well, if I could ever track one down...

I'm using a First Watt F1 (Rawson) and toyed with the idea of the Sig 30.2s and am curious as to what about them did not work for you.

Also, if any other Zu owners have amp recommendations, I'd love to hear them (especially the under $1000 variety).  I'm strongly considering going the el34/84 route but am very open to suggestions.

HT cOz

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jul 2010, 01:41 pm »

Gopher

« Reply #24 on: 7 Jul 2010, 02:31 pm »
Looks very interesting, but I've got to wonder.  My preamp is on the grid and isn't the quietest (EEMM w/ factory upgrade)--would I appreciate the benefit of an off the grid amp?  I mean, a lower noise floor of components is always a good thing, but it seems to me as if the benefit would be greater if the off the grid components were reversed in my system.

naggots

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jul 2010, 07:09 pm »
I use Manley Mahis with my Druids which are great and can be had for $1500 ish used. I've also heard the Stingray which is cheaper and nice too. Better than Audio Research VT50 which I sold.