2 channel system to watch dvd's and bluray?

stump4545

2 channel system to watch dvd's and bluray?
« on: 10 Jan 2010, 03:32 pm »
just curious if people use only 2 channels to watch dvds and blu ray movies?

i know most would use 5.1,6.1,7.1, but do some get good results with only 2 channels (w/ full range front speakers) for movies and tv.

btw. its only me and my wife so we would be always sitting in the sweet spot between the mains.

thanks

evan1

Re: 2 channel system to watch dvd's and bluray?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2010, 03:34 pm »
I do, and I used to have 5.1 until I got into 2 channel more and I think plain stereo from video sounds pretty cool. I forgot what stereo TV sounded like. It does the job for me.

ncblue

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:11 pm »
I run my Modwright Oppo BDP-83 into a Naim Supernait (speakers are Naim nsats/Zu Method sub) for 2 channel music and bluray. Results are spectacular! My friends who have 5.1 all wanted to watch the new Star Trek on my system when it came out on bluray.
I am more of a music guy though. I own more than 30 music blurays, but only 15 or so movies.
Nat

mfsoa

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:53 pm »
While I'm not always in agreement with Mr. VanAlstine, I think it was he who said that he'd rather have two good speakers than 5 mediocre ones.

Now that one I fully agree with!

-Mike

John151

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2010, 05:03 pm »
I integrated multi-channel and two channel into a single system.  The resulting system was overly complex and took up a lot of space.  I felt I was always making compromises, and was never really happy with the system.  I am in the process of reconfiguring my system as two channel only, and am replacing the Outlaw 990 with an Oppo HDMI switch, and feeding the two channel analog from the DVD player & DVR into a Modwright Pre-Amp.  While I lose some frilly surround effects, the core sound track is much clearer and more enjoyable. 

Others may disagree, but I think a good two channel rig does a great job with movies. 

yoder

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2010, 05:13 pm »
I have switched from 5.1 to 2-channel and prefer it.  With quality speakers, source, and amplification, my front soundstage is better than ever and I have room filling sound.  I don't get the "special" effects that I had with surrounds, but personally I don't miss them.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2010, 05:32 pm »
I've been two channel for movies for years.  I never had a very well executed surround system, but I've heard many great and expensive surround systems and yet I don't think I really miss much with a good two channel system.

I'd rather watch a movie on a really hi-end super dynamic 2 channel rig than a typical surround sound rig. 

The center channel is good for off axis listening, but for those who often watch alone or with their spouse, it really isn't needed.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2010, 06:21 pm »
I've dabbled with surround off and on over the years, and been in plenty of home theater rooms properly set up. My experience is that _most_ attempts at surround content wind up far short of what they should be (the exception being Ambisonics). Most efforts simply do not hold up to the scrutiny of repeated listening. Because of the lack of compelling software, I've stayed a two-channel user. I've never missed the surround "experience" at all.

There is another part to the commitment. To get every last bit out of the system, there is usually a re-shaping of the environment (room) the system will live in. There is no way I'm carving up a mostly original, 96-year old Craftsman Bungalow for (fill in the blank) in surround sound.

I echo the sentiments of a couple of others on this thread. Spend the effort on getting Two Really Good Channels Of Sound instead of Many Channels Of Mediocre Sound.

stump4545

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:06 pm »
in your experience, have you found any loss in sound quality when watching dvds or blu ray when the player would downmix the multichannel audio tracks to output stereo from the player?

lcrim

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:12 pm »
I came back to audio through a 5.1 channel HT and rediscovered that I really enjoyed listening to music.  My little condo was looking like a speaker show room.  Slowly I migrated to decent music first systems.
I know there are a lot of guys who will challenge the notion that a center channel for dialog is a big loss but I've never missed it or sound from behind.

I had considered moving this thread to the Home Theatre Circle but now I think it belongs here. aa

rezoseven

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:40 pm »
I had been using my dvd as my Dac transport anyway, and now my Blu-Ray player is also hooked through my dac. In two channels most Dvd's sound fantastic. I found some were you lose dialog however do to the stereo down mix. For some reason this doesn't seem to ever happen in BluRay. Put on something Like the Dark Knight, and i was like oh. That's what my movies are supposed to sound like. All the dynamics and power, without having to sacrifice on the music. And there's plenty enough stereo PCM Blurays as well from companies like deutsche grammophone, to keep me happy. Nothing like Anna Netrebko on BluRay.

My only suggestion, even in a small room where you can get away without a sub for music listening, you really need one for movies.

cujobob

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2010, 10:12 pm »
I do 4.1 in one setup and 2 channel in another..works great.  Speakers with better off-axis measurements are better since you aren't so restricted by where you sit.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2010, 10:25 pm »
I have run surround in the past (quite distant past actually - 1994/5), and then went to higher end two channel for years.

At present, I run a 2.1 HT setup.   I am going to install 5.1 though, as I have the room, and why not?

The true 2 channel setup is downstairs anyway.

John151

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2010, 10:27 pm »
For some reason this doesn't seem to ever happen in BluRay.

On my HDMI based HT system, I have found that BluRay movies sound way better than DVD movies. 

Mike Nomad

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2010, 10:59 pm »
in your experience, have you found any loss in sound quality when watching dvds or blu ray when the player would downmix the multichannel audio tracks to output stereo from the player?

I can't speak to Blu Ray: I have a stack of discs, and no player (yet).

On the DVD side, I've had a number of discs authored to not allow downmixing. In every instance, it was the DTS track. So, I select the Dolby track instead, and all is well. As an aside, I'll take Stereo LPCM over anything else, every time.

In a sense, the answer to your question is "yes," because I'm having to settle for a Dolby track even though DTS available.

The Hollywood Sound Experience mixes vocals with a center channel very much in mind. Being in my mid-40s, I'm missing a few spot frequencies, and I don't hear dog whistles anymore. Otherwise, my hearing is in great shape. Every once in a while, I'll come across a movie with what is a truly bad vocal mix, no doubt hindered by my folding channels down.

I have recommended to a number of older friends who are slightly less militant about the room situation than I am that they go from a 2, to a 3-channel system by adding a center channel. Everyone has thoroughly enjoyed the move.

Crimson

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2010, 11:25 pm »
I recently upgraded my 5.1 movie system to 2.1.  :D

*Scotty*

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:02 am »
I use two channel exclusively and get most of the special effects depending upon how well the sound track was transfered to the DVD.
I feed the digital spdif out of the player via toslink to an external dac and my wife and I are very happy with the results.
Scotty

Audiophiliac

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2010, 04:02 am »
I have 2.0 now with the desire to upgrade. I can do 5.1 in my room and probably make it work fairly well. But I am not going to skimp on it. Sure, 2 great speakers is better than 5 mediocre ones. But 5 great speakers must be better than 2. :) You can have the best of both worlds. And you simply cannot have a "Home Cinema" experience without surround sound. :) Of course you really need a big screen and a dark room. I will take what I can get.

John151

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jan 2010, 04:34 am »
You can have the best of both worlds.

I agree, except it can be expensive and can get complicated. 

And you simply cannot have a "Home Cinema" experience without surround sound.

I don't agree with that at all.  YMMV. 

NewBuyer

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2010, 06:26 am »
I also tried 5.1, and then went to 2-channel (with subwoofer augmenting the mains).  We actually like this 2.0 setup much better, for many reasons including ultimate sound quality, room decor, simplicity, etc.  We think it sounds fantastic, and don't miss the other channels at all.   :)