Overdriven Midwoofers on SongTowers

indygreg

Overdriven Midwoofers on SongTowers
« on: 31 Dec 2009, 04:10 am »
Due to a freak accident a few minutes ago, my amplifier "went to 11," over-driving my SongTower's and causing 3 of the 4 midwoofers to become wedged in the 'out' position.  I quickly turned off the amp, but am at a loss at what to do next.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Overdriven Midwoofers on SongTowers
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2009, 04:17 am »
Oooops.   That could be a problem.  I think they're probably cooked.  If you can't push them back to the normal position, then there's been terminal voice coil meltdown and mechanical damage.  Try placing your hands on the cone, one on each side of the dust cap, and push.  If they snap back, you're probably golden.   If not, it's time to offer to mow Jim's lawn next summer in return for 3 CA15's. 

indygreg

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2009, 04:26 am »
I was able to push all of the woofers back.  However, after some careful listening (one speaker at a time), it appears all 4 cones are making unexpected noises when driven slightly beyond "casual listening volume."  Sometimes it sounds like clipping.  Other times it makes a "flap flap" sound.

I'm looking at permanent damage, aren't I?

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2009, 04:31 am »
I was able to push all of the woofers back.  However, after some careful listening (one speaker at a time), it appears all 4 cones are making unexpected noises when driven slightly beyond "casual listening volume."  Sometimes it sounds like clipping.  Other times it makes a "flap flap" sound.

I'm looking at permanent damage, aren't I?

The flapping sound is a good indication that the spiders have been ripped from the frame.  Driver replacement is the best solution unless you want to go into the driver repair business. 

This is easy to check if you feel like removing six screws and pulling the drivers out.  If you look at the rear of the cone, you will see a yellow cloth spider.  This should be attached to the cone and the frame.  If it is not firmly attached to the frame, you will get that flapping sound.  There is simply nothing holding the cone in place. 

Let me know if this is the case and we can get you some new drivers.

- Jim

indygreg

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2009, 04:53 am »
I've only removed one midwoofer so far.  When I push the cone out, the yellow spider isn't adhering to the ring between the magnet and the speaker face.  If I press down firmly on the spider, it does stick a little.  But, after a little bit of force, it comes loose again.

I'm no woofer expert, but it seems all I need is to apply some kind of "glue" to secure the spider to the speaker frame and that would constitute a repair.  Is it that simple?

indygreg

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2009, 05:21 am »
Two drivers checked and two spiders not adhering to the frame.

I did a little Bing'ing on speaker damage and repair.  Since the woofers produce sound and don't scrape when gently depressed, the voice coil definitely didn't burn out and (hopefully) isn't deformed.

If I wanted to try to repair the woofers, it sounds like I need a 'reconing' service (or at least a partial reconing service).  http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speakerreconinginstructions.htm has a nice step-by-step guide.

Since I have no cone damage, I don't see why I'd need to replace the whole cone assembly.  It seems that I should be able to get away with either A) applying adhesive to secure the spider to the frame or B) replace the entire spider.

I've read that this isn't something that I, someone unfamiliar with speaker repair, should attempt.

Can anybody recommend a good speaker repair shop or person in the San Francisco area?  Am I getting too far ahead of myself thinking a simple spider repair will return the woofers to pristine condition?

Meicheng

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2009, 05:41 am »
There is a speaker reconing/repair place over in Berkeley at Martin Luther King and Rose St.  But its on the second floor or not visable from the street.  They advertise all the time in the Electronics section of Craigslist, so if you search there and find them, you could give them call.  Perhaps they could help?  Martin. 

indygreg

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2009, 05:53 am »
Martin,

Thank you.  I think I found it: Audivex Speaker Repair (http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#/wpd40tn4gtzsrq6b).

Meicheng

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2009, 06:05 am »
Good luck with the repair.  If you get homesick, you can come over to El Cerrito and listen to my Songtowers! 

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2009, 06:18 am »
PM sent

indygreg

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2009, 06:19 am »
I've removed all 4 midwoofers now.  The spider isn't secure to the frame on all of them.  One scrapes much easier than the others.  If I push straight in, it doesn't scrape.  But, its tolerance is much less than the others.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll wait for Dennis/Jim to weigh in.  Hopefully a spider repair is all it takes to bring all 4 back to health.  I may have to replace the one that scrapes.  I suppose I won't know until someone with more expertise inspects/tests it.

At least I have my SongCenter and SongSurrounds to fall back on while the big brothers are being nursed back to health.

Kris

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2009, 06:20 am »
How come "11 o'clock" caused so much damage? I' m at 11-12 o'clock most of the time and never had any problems.

MukAudio

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2009, 06:52 am »
How come "11 o'clock" caused so much damage? I' m at 11-12 o'clock most of the time and never had any problems.

I don't think he's referring to the 11 o'clock position.  I think he's referring to 11.  See You Tube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

Mark.

Kris

« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2009, 07:08 am »
Ouch! I have to break my knob to make it go to 11!

ctouhey

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2009, 08:26 am »
Sorry to hear about your speakers.  Hope whatever course you take restores the perfection to which you've become accustomed.

Ouch! I have to break my knob to make it go to 11!

Both my Subs go to 11...they're one louder, you see!

http://www.martinlogan.com/products/descenti

Extended-Range Master Level Control
Crave a little heavy-metal thunder from time to time? Ordinary level controls top out at '10'; ours goes to '11'!

Advanced Proprietary Vojtko™ Switching Amplifiers
Descent i's three amplifiers – one for each driver – belong to recently developed class of switch-mode designs that incorporate a variety of innovative techniques to reduce noise, distortion, and heat to the lowest possible levels. In particular, the switching frequency is much higher than in typical subwoofer amplifiers of this type. Each amplifier can produce a true 250 watts continuously, 700 watts peak, for a total of 2,100 watts peak, with vanishingly low distortion at all levels.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2009, 08:59 am »
I think you should get new woofers indygreg.  They are not very expensive and would be a lot less work then getting them repaired.  On top of that, you would be certain they woofers would be pristine.

I am really sorry to hear about your situation.

Nick77

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:54 am »
I think you should get new woofers indygreg.  They are not very expensive and would be a lot less work then getting them repaired.  On top of that, you would be certain they woofers would be pristine.

Usually manufactors are very good about replacement speakers at a low cost.
Please replace them.  :green:

martyo

« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2009, 11:46 am »

Usually manufactors are very good about replacement speakers at a low cost.
Please replace them.  :green:

These guys are right, I'd call Jim.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2009, 12:44 pm »
The posters that are asking you to replace the woofers are right! I am assuming you have no measurement software and no way of knowing that the repaired woofers themselves have no flexing issues as this is a source of distortion as well.

The CA15's are not expensive in the world of midwoofers, it would be a small price to pay for the return of the great sonics you once had. Just check in with Jim Salk & Dan Murphy.

Anand.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2009, 05:49 pm by poseidonsvoice »

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2009, 02:01 pm »
Due to a freak accident a few minutes ago, my amplifier "went to 11," over-driving my SongTower's and causing 3 of the 4 midwoofers to become wedged in the 'out' position.  I quickly turned off the amp, but am at a loss at what to do next.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I would replace all 4 midwoofers.  Also, I would check your tweeters as well.