Mapleshade Audio

Dawkus

Mapleshade Audio
« on: 26 Dec 2009, 07:48 pm »
Hi people,Does anyone get that small catalog every 2 months from Mapleshade Audio with those maple stands and strange wires.Has anyone heard the cd's they sell?Any input at all?Thanks a lot Dawkus.

mdconnelly

Re: Mapleshade Audio
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2009, 08:11 pm »
I've got about a dozen of the Mapleshade and WildChild CDs.  They are generally very good and extremely well recorded.  Definitely worth a try, particularly given the 30 day eval to trade for something else. 

Their marketing on footers, wires, platforms, and various accessories can be over the top, but the cones and platforms seem very well made.  Never tried the wires.

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2009, 08:30 pm »
It's been awhile since I've tried their interconnects but two things immediately come to mind. First their interconnectsc sound very nice, warm detailed very excellent indeed. Second they are easily the flimsiest easy to break cables ever made. I would caution anyone considering them to consider their lack of substance. The ribbon cables are horribly delicate. And to make a bad situation worse the barrels for the cables are very heavy so if you let go of one end it very well may rip off completely under the weight of it's own barrel.

In essence A for sound quality F- for construction. 

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2009, 08:40 pm »
I would love to meet their copy writer.  I love how they will say stuff like "15% decease in sound quality over normal heavy feet". 
They always claim to quatify what to me seems unquatifyable.

chosenhandle

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2009, 01:51 am »
I would love to meet their copy writer.  I love how they will say stuff like "15% decease in sound quality over normal heavy feet". 
They always claim to quatify what to me seems unquatifyable.

it is more like a 14% decrease....but you know ad agency guys. They will embellish everything!

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2009, 02:18 am »
I have one of their CDs and would buy more.  Everytime I get one of their catalogs it seems I have such a backlog of music I just never get around to it.  Right now I have a small backlog and a $300 gift certificate at Acoustic Sounds which I'll probably use in a few weeks and then have a bigger backlog.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2009, 02:19 am »
I should add I also bought their huge and heavy brass spikes too which I have under the amp stand I made for my Bryston 14BSST.  Very pleased with those too.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2009, 02:28 am »
Like Phil I have used a number of Mapleshade's large brass cones. I am presently using their large Ultimate Triplepoints and use their Isolation Component System concept under my BPT balanced power conditioner. Other than hearing good things about the high quality of their recordings, I've never sampled them myself.

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2009, 06:24 pm by satfrat »

decal

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2009, 04:36 am »
I thought the cables looked rather flimsy also.I'm kind of heavy handed so I'm sure I would end up destroying them.I do want to try some of the recordings.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2009, 05:15 pm »
  The Mapleshade recordings if you like the music are very well recorded. priced fairly and made from the soul.
   I own and stil luse for over 10 years their active powercord and speaker cables. Delicate yes. Flimsy no. They have been stepped on and thrown around ones neck[ Topround no more beers] still working quite well thank you.
   Ron Bauman modified my Promitheus TVC. Reworked  the trannies grounding scheme, orientation, assembly and mounted such in a brass and ebony structure using the original wood enclosure.  All Mapleshade wiring all some tweaks kept private. Well the results are staggering. The TVC now has clarity and weight. Weight being MIA before. Actually my only reservation abouy TVCs in general has changed. Thank you Ron.
   Other superb products besides the brass cones and Maple products are phono mount system LP weight and LP matt. Inexpensive as well. BTW if you can demo an active pair of speaker cables or digital cable PLEASE do so.

charles 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2009, 05:30 pm »
Mapleshade cd's are among the finest redbook recordings available, IMO.  You may not like the music..but the recording quality is unbelievable...dynamic, uncompressed, with black backgrounds and no digital sheen.  One of my fave's is

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/cds/02032.php

Track one ("Bess..") is one of my go-to demo tracks.

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2009, 11:32 pm »
Since Pierre records in analog I'd love to see some of their albums re-encoded from tape at 24/96 or 24/192. Given how good their Red Book CD's sound a near master tape quality transfer ought to be stellar.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2009, 11:36 pm »
Mapleshade cd's are among the finest redbook recordings available, IMO.  You may not like the music..but the recording quality is unbelievable...dynamic, uncompressed, with black backgrounds and no digital sheen.  One of my fave's is

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/cds/02032.php

Track one ("Bess..") is one of my go-to demo tracks.

+1

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2009, 11:38 pm »
Since Pierre records in analog I'd love to see some of their albums re-encoded from tape at 24/96 or 24/192. Given how good their Red Book CD's sound a near master tape quality transfer ought to be stellar.

WOW Mike!  That's freaking weird!!!     :o :o :o  You took not only the words out of my mouth, but the email I sent Pierre/Mapleshade today (after posting earlier today and subsequently rereading the reviews on their site).  I asked if they would do the exact thing!!   :D
(Twilight Zone music...)

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2009, 01:04 am »

That would be great.  I'd be taking a ride to Baltimore ASAP to buy the first pressings.

bbchem

« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2009, 01:25 am »
 :D I second that I have over a dozen MapleShade Cds, even music I didn't think I would like sounds so good that I began liking it! A+++ Best label going. I use it as a reference to show off my system. :thumb: :thumb:

mgalusha

« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2009, 01:52 am »
Funny. I emailed them right after posting this. I also suggested it would be nice if they were available from HD Tracks. It would certainly make their distribution easier.

WOW Mike!  That's freaking weird!!!     :o :o :o  You took not only the words out of my mouth, but the email I sent Pierre/Mapleshade today (after posting earlier today and subsequently rereading the reviews on their site).  I asked if they would do the exact thing!!   :D
(Twilight Zone music...)

Listens2tubes

« Reply #17 on: 29 Dec 2009, 01:53 am »
Funny. I emailed them right after posting this. I also suggested it would be nice if they were available from HD Tracks. It would certainly make their distribution easier.

(Twilight Zone music...)

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2010, 10:43 pm »
I'm a huge fan of Mapleshade....Pierre Sprey is one of the most interesting and engaging people I've ever spoken to in this hobby. He's always happy to answer questions and give you his input via telephone or email. I, too, own several of their CDs....unfortunately most of it just isn't the type of music I listen to all that often (although I do love the ARC choir!), but it's quite the experience to fire up this music on my Maggies!

I've also tried the speaker wire (currently using), the plinths, and the brass footers.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jan 2010, 12:22 am »
Visit their site and read about how PS makes his recordings and you'll get an idea.  He distains compression, equalization too, and you'll get a large dose of that in the dynamics on his discs.  I'm tempted to order his lone Flamenco recording and do own Sound Roots (avant-funk-jazz and wild) and Davetik.  Drum hits on either are incomparable.