Mapleshade Audio

bosound

Re: Mapleshade Audio
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jan 2010, 01:19 am »
I was just deciding whether to try some of the offerings in their catalog.  This thread helped me to decide.  Thanks!

bbchem

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jan 2010, 01:31 am »
I was just deciding whether to try some of the offerings in their catalog.  This thread helped me to decide.  Thanks!
  :thumb:
If you want too sell any let me know!!!  :thumb: :D aa

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #22 on: 6 Jan 2010, 01:32 am »
I wish Pierre would get back into vinyl. I use his platforms, triple points, top hats, and nano points with my cartridge. A gentleman and one of the finest in all of Audio.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #23 on: 6 Jan 2010, 03:47 pm »
I wish Pierre would get back into vinyl. I use his platforms, triple points, top hats, and nano points with my cartridge. A gentleman and one of the finest in all of Audio.
Could not agree more. The components they build from scratch including their own resistors and caps for such are a joy to hear. SS yet with a passive resistor based pre and amps made from sattelite tranmsmitters. BTW they love gallo speakers which they modify. Their gear is quite expensive but as a system which I have heard several time is just real period end of story. Anxious to hear the new CDP around $20,000. A completely different theory for digital. My buddy Sidney is a Mapleshade rep. His system truly is something to behold. So real.
 Could you elaborate on the merrits of the nano mount system. Do you have the matt or record weight ?

charles

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jan 2010, 03:56 pm »
Just peeped your Den, Charles.  Yummy.  "New York, New York . . A city so nice they had to name it twice"- Jon Hendricks.

turkey

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jan 2010, 04:14 pm »
Hi people,Does anyone get that small catalog every 2 months from Mapleshade Audio with those maple stands and strange wires.Has anyone heard the cd's they sell?Any input at all?Thanks a lot Dawkus.

Their CDs are generally very well-recorded. I'd give them a couple of thumbs-up on those.

I used to know a local guy who was into all the tweaks and wire from Mapleshade. He had thousands and thousands of dollars of stuff from them. He got me to come over and listen to his system as he swapped stuff in and out. I honestly didn't hear any difference when he swapped in the Mapleshade stuff. (He was into Gallo and Walker Audio too, amongst others. I found his system to be very expensive given how it sounded.)

Peter Aczel once called Pierre a tree-worshiping audio druid (TWAD). It seemed apropos.

turkey

« Reply #26 on: 6 Jan 2010, 04:19 pm »
It's been awhile since I've tried their interconnects but two things immediately come to mind. First their interconnectsc sound very nice, warm detailed very excellent indeed. Second they are easily the flimsiest easy to break cables ever made. I would caution anyone considering them to consider their lack of substance. The ribbon cables are horribly delicate. And to make a bad situation worse the barrels for the cables are very heavy so if you let go of one end it very well may rip off completely under the weight of it's own barrel.

In essence A for sound quality F- for construction.

They're also unshielded. That's just a no-no for an unbalanced RCA patch cord. It's likely to sound different, but that's because it's acting as an antenna.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jan 2010, 05:35 pm »
They're also unshielded. That's just a no-no for an unbalanced RCA patch cord. It's likely to sound different, but that's because it's acting as an antenna.

There may be more to it than that - at least according to Denis Morecroft of DNM and Yves Bernard Andre of YBA, both of whom speak of the effects of metal in close proximity to conductors. Denis takes this much further than Yves, who only quietly speaks of this to dealers for his fine products, of which I used to be one. For marketing reasons, mainly, he does not go as far as Denis:
http://www.dnm.co.uk/products.html

turkey

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jan 2010, 06:05 pm »
There may be more to it than that - at least according to Denis Morecroft of DNM and Yves Bernard Andre of YBA, both of whom speak of the effects of metal in close proximity to conductors. Denis takes this much further than Yves, who only quietly speaks of this to dealers for his fine products, of which I used to be one. For marketing reasons, mainly, he does not go as far as Denis:
http://www.dnm.co.uk/products.html

More foo-foo dust.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 6 Jan 2010, 06:26 pm »

The Omega speaker cable that we use are shielded with an active shield powered by batteries. The better ICs as well. Unless one has actually tried these cables in their system not to another which may be flawed might reconsider offering uneducated opinions.
  Then to insult Pierre personally is a bit over the top. We are trying to be constructive here and to learn from others hands on experience not opinions. This is NOt fanboy talk it is a learning experience for most of us.
  If you have something constructive to add please by all means do so . If not have a nice day.

charles

turkey

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:11 pm »
  The Omega speaker cable that we use are shielded with an active shield powered by batteries. The better ICs as well. Unless one has actually tried these cables in their system not to another which may be flawed might reconsider offering uneducated opinions.
  Then to insult Pierre personally is a bit over the top. We are trying to be constructive here and to learn from others hands on experience not opinions. This is NOt fanboy talk it is a learning experience for most of us.
  If you have something constructive to add please by all means do so . If not have a nice day.

charles

I heard the Omega Mikro RCA patch cords, turntable cords, and power cords. Or rather I didn't hear them because they made absolutely zero difference. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Have a nice day.

turkey

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:16 pm »
If you're really interested in learning about wire, and especially dielectric absorption (since you mention the battery-powered wire thing), you might want to look at this for starters:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/dielectric-absorption-in-cables-debunked

ricmon

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:30 pm »
That would be great.  I'd be taking a ride to Baltimore ASAP to buy the first pressings.

Intresting.  I've been a long time fan of Maple Shade and I 'didn't know they have added a "business" facility.  When I the B-more location posted I was like ..what?  Because all of use music lovers/audiophile in the DC metro area know the studio location at:

South 5311 Solomons Island Road  Lothian, MD 20711.

just rambling
Ric

ricmon

« Reply #33 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:33 pm »

They do plan to put some of there releases on vinyl go the the link and add your 2 cents.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/main/vinylfeedback.php

TomS

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:36 pm »
Ric,

Thanks for bringing this back on track  :thumb:

I've never bought any because comments always seemed to lean towards "great sound" but, shall we say, "eclectic" content and stuff you've never heard of.  Now they at least have one sample per album on their site to see whether it floats your boat musically.  I might finally give it a try.

Tom

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #35 on: 7 Jan 2010, 12:03 am »
Silclear contact enhancer is a good product. I've had it for years; it keeps copper from corroding and makes a noticeable improvement. I have a few of their cds, quality of recording is good. Some instruments are miked too close, IMO...

Some (most) of their products are overpriced (IMHO), but of good quality.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 7 Jan 2010, 08:06 pm »
I heard the Omega Mikro RCA patch cords, turntable cords, and power cords. Or rather I didn't hear them because they made absolutely zero difference. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Have a nice day.

OK .Fine.

charles

StereoNut

« Reply #37 on: 7 Jan 2010, 09:19 pm »
FWIW

I own quite a few CD's from Mapleshade & Wild Child's catalog.  All are excellent recordings sonically.  Some of the artists on these labels and their music seem to be a little more "smoke filled, gin soaked, honky-tonk bar room"
:smoke:  :wine:  :banana piano:  :drums:   :guitar:  :dance:  :beer:

than their more polished brethren found on Sony, Warner or EMI, but are a fun listen nonetheless.

I haven't tried much of their other equipment, cables, stands, tweeks etc... so I can't really make comments from experience there.

In my limited contact with him, Pierre is a gentleman to deal with.  I may have one or two CD's that I'm not crazy about (and kept anyway) but they do have an exchange policy on any recording that you don't like.  The last time I ordered, they were $9.60/CD if you ordered 4 or more. 

There's plenty to pick from in their catalog, so take a "flyer" on the 4 titles that look the most interesting and give them a try.  You're talkin' under $50, so it's not a big investment.  Even if you only like 3 of 4, the price per still is no worse than most stores charge for recent releases.

Just my 2¢

SN

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #38 on: 8 Jan 2010, 01:20 am »
Silclear contact enhancer is a good product. I've had it for years; it keeps copper from corroding and makes a noticeable improvement. I have a few of their cds, quality of recording is good. Some instruments are miked too close, IMO...

Some (most) of their products are overpriced (IMHO), but of good quality.

I too use Silclear on all wire connections, nice sonic qualities and you really only need to use the stuff once on your connections if you're not constantly disconnecting stuff. I've got a ton of the Silclear compound left, well enough for this lifetime.  8)

Cheers,
Robin