What was your favorite album of 2009?

danman

What was your favorite album of 2009?
« on: 24 Dec 2009, 07:24 pm »
Just curious to know what your opinions are. Any category at all or break it down into whichever you would like. May also be a new discovery.

Me it was in the Rock category: Dream Theater: Black Clouds and Silver Linings (vinyl)

I like almost all types of music but this Rock album did something for me with their timing and instrumental talent. Not for all of course but this was a new discovery for me.

schw06

Re: What was your favorite album of 2009?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2009, 07:29 pm »
Rock:
Ben Harper and the Relentless 7: White Lies for Dark Times
These guys have an amazing ability to convey emotion through their music and lyrics!

1ZIP

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2009, 07:37 pm »
Actually there were two real standouts for me.  Both out of print and hard to find:

1.  "Natural Selections" - Artist: William Ellwood, a Canadian acoustic               guitarist.

2.  "The Well" - Artist: Jennifer Warnes, Singer, song writer.

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2009, 11:16 pm »
I received numerous cds, dvds from a friend that I haven't even played yet.
But the favorite discoveries sofar of 2009

1. Allman Brothers- Live at Fillmore East, sacd hybrid
2. Fleetwood Mac- '97 The Dance, dvd
3. Blondie- Live 1999, dvd
4. ELP- Show that Never Ends, remastered cd

mchuckp

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2009, 11:37 pm »
For me it would be:

The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love

One of the most interesting albums I've heard in a long time.  It's a concept album about a woman who falls in love a a guy who is a shapeshifter and things go sour.  Great vocals and incredible musicianship.  Album flows very well without a lull.

Moon Doggy

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2009, 11:53 pm »
Alana Levandoski "Lions & Werewolves" (2009)

Have to go with the Manitoba grown talent this year!

A close second: Air "Love 2" (2009)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2009, 12:35 am »
Just curious to know what your opinions are. Any category at all or break it down into whichever you like. May also be a new discovery.

Me it was in the Rock category: Dream Theater: Black Clouds and Silver Linings (vinyl)

I like almost all types of music but this Rock album did something for me with their timing and instrumental talent. Not for all of course but this was a new discovery for me.

Howdy, when I 1st read your thread, it was my impression you were looking for personal album favorites that were recorded in 2009. Then after rereading your thread, I guess you're leaving everything as an open book. Personally tho, I think it would have been more interesting to have kept the album picks to 2009 recordings but that's not my call.  :thumb:

So for my 2009 album that has had the most spins, it's hands down: Rock/Pop

Eskimo Joe: Inshalla (2009)

long sample tracks 

Cheers,
Robin

Exclusively heard on Hard Drive  :rock:

Robert D

« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2009, 01:49 am »
This one that I picked up in Disneyland ... Wings in the Dawn
The production of this Cd just has it all. Highs lows Mids deep Thunder

And This Oldie thats keeps my left leg jumping up and Down   of Course Herb Alpert

Robert

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2009, 03:20 am »

The Empyrean John Frusciante                                                                            XX by XX

Two Suns by Bat For Lashes                                                                                                         Horehound by The Dead Weather

Two Dancers
by Wild Beasts

These are all from 2009 there is a little something for every body to  love or hate here. for me this is as good as it got this year i could easy dig out another 5 but you only asked for 1 if i had to pick just one it would be the The Empyrean John Frusciante    just for the cover of Song to the Siren.

Ps i don't own no Bryston gear but if some one wants to lend me a piece i will give it a listen  :lol:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2009, 03:50 am »
Oddly enough the album I discovered this year which has turned out to be my favorite new (to me) album is David Crosby's "If I Could Only Remember My Name." It's odd because that was my music at the time of it's release. During those years I was buying newly relesed albums by Stills, Young and bought a couple of the Crosby/Nash collaboration albums. How I missed this one I can't figure. Also makes me wonder if I would have appreciated it as much then as I do now.
As for new music, The Decemberists, "The Crane Wife" is fantastic. I bought that after "The Hazards Of Love" got me started listening to The Decemerists. While "The Hazards Of Love" is very good, "The Crane Wife" may be their crowning achievement.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2009, 02:46 pm by timind »

werd

« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2009, 08:00 am »
  Flo Rida

Right round   :icon_lol:

sts9fan

« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2009, 02:26 pm »

Dirty Projectors "Bitte Orca".  It's just frigging awsome.

Glad " The Hazards of Love" are getting props.  That would be my runner up.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2009, 02:30 pm »
WOW - this is great stuff guys! - I have not heard most of this stuff - Christmas presents for myself!

james

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 25 Dec 2009, 02:35 pm »
Rock:
Ben Harper and the Relentless 7: White Lies for Dark Times
These guys have an amazing ability to convey emotion through their music and lyrics!

+1

Killer album and a great new band to play with Ben.

George

vinyl_lady

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2009, 05:00 pm »
For me it would be:

One of the most interesting albums I've heard in a long time.  It's a concept album about a woman who falls in love a a guy who is a shapeshifter and things go sour.  Great vocals and incredible musicianship.  Album flows very well without a lull.

Add another vote for The Hazzards of Love :thumb: I saw The Decemberists in concert this summer and they played the album from beginning to end without stopping. If you want to know if your system will reach the lowest notes on a Hammond B3, listen to Prelude at the beginning of this album.

A close runner up for me is Neko Case's Middle Cyclone Love her voice.

Merry Christmas all,

Laura

mchuckp

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2009, 06:09 pm »
For me it would be:

Add another vote for The Hazzards of Love :thumb: I saw The Decemberists in concert this summer and they played the album from beginning to end without stopping. If you want to know if your system will reach the lowest notes on a Hammond B3, listen to Prelude at the beginning of this album.

A close runner up for me is Neko Case's Middle Cyclone Love her voice.

Merry Christmas all,

Laura

WOW!  Glad I'm not the only one here digging The Decemberists.  First time I heard hazards of Love I was blown away.  Probably haven't been that impressed from a first listen since Radiohead-Hail to the Thief.  I discovered them by picking up one of the iTunes freebie cards at Starbucks on a whim.  It was "The Rake's Song".  It was so DARK and interesting, I bought the album and proceeded to listen to it for days on end in its entirety.  Not many acts doing concept albums these days.

I'm jealous you saw them.  I had to miss them in Lexington, KY due to bad timing.  Lucky me though, because they are from Portland, OR and I just moved to Salem, OR.  So, I'm sure it is a matter of time before I catch them.

Someone else mentioned their "The Crane Wife" album.  Equally as good.

sts9fan

« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2009, 06:24 pm »
I actually think "The Crane's Wife" is a bit lackluster compared to THOL and "Picaresque"

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2009, 07:02 pm »
danman,

I think this thread would be more appropriate in "The Music Circle".  Audio Circle would be greatly improved if more members would begin to think and post outside of their clique of owners/manufacturers circles.

Good music suggestions are not a Bryston Circle exclusive.  This is not the only music suggestion thread that is misplaced inside an owners/manufacturers circle.

danman

« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2009, 09:04 pm »
Sorry you are right! Actually meant it for the Bryston gang not realizing how generalized a question it was!

Sorry all!

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2009, 09:13 pm »
Sorry you are right! Actually meant it for the Bryston gang not realizing how generalized a question it was!

Sorry all!

You mean that you should have named the thread

What was your favorite album of 2009 that you played on Bryston gear :lol: