What was your favorite album of 2009?

danman

Re: What was your favorite album of 2009?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Dec 2009, 09:24 pm »
Yes that's what I meant in my head but I ate too much turkey and lost my way!

Can we rename it?

orthobiz

« Reply #21 on: 25 Dec 2009, 09:34 pm »
The Hazards of Love also!

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 25 Dec 2009, 10:14 pm »
I finially scored this very rare LP from England. It is fabulous if you like Cajun music, with an electronic twist.

Wayner  :xmas:

1ZIP

« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2009, 10:53 pm »
Yes that's what I meant in my head but I ate too much turkey and lost my way!

Can we rename it?

Your absolved of all transgressions....go forth and eat more turkey :D

danman

« Reply #24 on: 26 Dec 2009, 01:33 am »
Yes............I do apologize for all of my transgressions of 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sanjaygolf

« Reply #25 on: 26 Dec 2009, 02:47 am »
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 26 Dec 2009, 08:44 am »
My pick....in Jazz....
Allen Toussaint has brought together a remarkable group of musicians for a warm lively jazz-blues masterpiece..... 8)

Allen Toussaint - "The Bright Mississippi".....Samples...

Bear Heath

« Reply #27 on: 26 Dec 2009, 01:30 pm »
I second Lone Wolf's pick, the music is great and the pressing on the vinyl is very quiet. Nonesuch LPs also come with a cd so I no longer have to cue and drive at the same time.

95Dyna

« Reply #28 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:13 pm »
I second Lone Wolf's pick, the music is great and the pressing on the vinyl is very quiet. Nonesuch LPs also come with a cd so I no longer have to cue and drive at the same time.

Speaking of Nonesuch, my pick for 2009 is Nonesuch 480508-2 BEETHOVEN {The Complete Piano Concertos} by Richard Goode and the Budapest Festival Orchestra under the direction of Ivan Fischer.  Beethoven composed 5 concertos for piano and orchestra and they are all gems.  These 2009  recordings on CD are a fine demonstration of Beethoven's progression from a protoge  of Haydn and Mozart to a composer of otherworldly proportion.  My favorite is the 3rd in C minor.  You can actually hear the transition taking place dring this piece.  Give them a listen as I'm certain you will find your favorite too.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #29 on: 26 Dec 2009, 06:29 pm »
Thanks to the recommendations in this thread I am now listening to The Decemberists and enjoying "The Crane Wife".

I love threads like this.   :thumb:

George

PeteG

« Reply #30 on: 26 Dec 2009, 08:12 pm »
I will try and pick some of these up this weekend.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #31 on: 26 Dec 2009, 09:03 pm »
Thanks to the recommendations in this thread I am now listening to The Decemberists and enjoying "The Crane Wife".

I love threads like this.   :thumb:

George
+1.  The Hazards of Love, the Crane Wife, and Dirty PJ's Bitte Orca (folk pop with turrets syndrome..) are all on my new playlist.   :thumb:

decal

« Reply #32 on: 27 Dec 2009, 04:47 am »

1oldguy

« Reply #33 on: 27 Dec 2009, 01:21 pm »
Levon Helm is the mam.He has helped to create some of the worlds best songs.His drumming while not overly technical like some has an infectiousness that keeps one hooked to the song.I simply have to check this album out. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #34 on: 27 Dec 2009, 01:53 pm »
Levon Helm is the mam.
:)

And quite an actor too.  His resume is amazing, really...and then fighting off throat cancer.  I'll have to check this album out.  Been dusting off stuff like Northern Lights Southern Cross lately.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #35 on: 27 Dec 2009, 02:55 pm »
Here's another one of my favorites from 2009:

Dave Matthews Band's "Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King".

This is the band's best and most complete effort since 1998's "Before These Crowded Streets".  While I was afraid that they would not be the same after Leroi Moore's tragic death, they proved me wrong and really dug deep on this album.  All 13 songs are good to excellent - no filler here.

George

mchuckp

« Reply #36 on: 27 Dec 2009, 03:58 pm »
Here's another one of my favorites from 2009:

Dave Matthews Band's "Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King".

This is the band's best and most complete effort since 1998's "Before These Crowded Streets".  While I was afraid that they would not be the same after Leroi Moore's tragic death, they proved me wrong and really dug deep on this album.  All 13 songs are good to excellent - no filler here.

George

I've never been a big DMB fan (more of a Phish guy), but this album is definitely quite good.  Very interesting songs with a nice flow.  It surprised me to get an album this good as MOST artists would have hit their peak and have started a decline by then.

PS Glad you are digging "The Crane Wife". :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #37 on: 27 Dec 2009, 08:20 pm »
Glad to see Dirty Projectors getting some love!  If they come to your town don't miss them.  They are amazing live.

WBimmer

« Reply #38 on: 29 Dec 2009, 12:11 am »
This was one of my favourite songs as a kid back in 1980 and just remembered it and re-discovered it.  I had this on a single and played it on my mono speaker all-in-one record player that had a handle and you could carry it with you.  Chas & Dave have a new box set out for 2009, so I guess that counts for this thread...

It won't win anyone over for sound quality, but it's a fun song...

Here's the song,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOSseI1hao8

Wayne.

Gojo

« Reply #39 on: 29 Dec 2009, 03:35 am »
If you are not into movie soundtracks, listening to the following may make you a convert!  Symphony for subwoofers is how I would describe them ! Start a low volume first!!
1) Eagle Eye (Brian Tyler) - lots of big drums. If you only wanted to listen to one movie soundtrack, I'd recommend this one
2)Terminator Salvation (Danny Elfman also did lots of earlier Batman soundtracks which are less interesting)
3) Transformers I (Steve Jablonsky).  Can't go wrong with Steve. Kinda electronic in spots.