WTB: Melody I2A3 or similar Integrated for Zu Essence

nikhilji

Re: WTB: Melody I2A3 or similar Integrated for Zu Essence
« Reply #60 on: 16 Jan 2010, 04:07 am »
Sorry for kinda the OT post, but Melody definitely was under-rated and under-represented in the US.

I owned the Melody I880 at point in time and I was thoroughly impressed with the quality - both aesthetics and sound. The internal point to point wiring is nothing short of a work of art :

Thanks to Hugh and the gang, hope to see Melody's products making a fresh comeback ! :thumb:

And good luck, Morgan, with your search for a match for the Zu's

- from a fellow Bay Area audio nut

shadowlight

« Reply #61 on: 19 Jan 2010, 07:01 pm »
Does Anyone have any experience with the Melody H300B Integrated?  I have heard conflicting reports on the pairing of the ZU's with a 300B Tube....any thoughts?

Morganc,

Send a PM zuguy (Ron Williams).  He recently visited the NY area as part of the Audio Tour and was very easy to approachable.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #62 on: 18 Oct 2010, 06:29 pm »
I have to say this this is the best WTB thread ever.

Also, I sold Morgan my Melody H2A earlier this year when he was looking for one.  And now I am buying it back, to use on my 100 dB/W BD Design bass bins (300 Hz down).  Silly to use DHTs for bass/mid-bass only?  I want to try it.  The best system I have ever heard (Cogent) used 300 Bs on their bass, asl <300 Hz.  (And incidentally I use the same conical Acoustic Horn Ah! 300 horn as Cogent.)

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #63 on: 20 Oct 2010, 12:45 am »
As long as this thread is being revived, I suppose I'll point out that the MK88 and AN211 (second two pictures on page 3) are now available.  Check out the industry ads thread for some awesome pricing for RMAF and the rest of this week.

Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2010, 12:24 am by woofersus »

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #64 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:33 am »
Woofersus, would you be able to provide me with a manual or bias instructions for the H2A?  It's never been done.  Thanks.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #65 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:41 am »
Paul,

I'm not Woofersus but I'll see what I can do.

Give us a few days please.

Thanks,
Woofersus, would you be able to provide me with a manual or bias instructions for the H2A?  It's never been done.  Thanks.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #66 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:44 am »
Paul,

I'm not Woofersus but I'll see what I can do.

Give us a few days please.

Thanks,

Thanks!

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #67 on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:42 pm »
Thanks Hugh.  I would have had to ask you for the info anyhow. ;)

I will say that I'm 90% sure the bias pots on the H2A are on the sides of the amp like many other melody products, with a negative and two positive contact points per side. (to form a -/+ pair for each tube)  You'll put your multimeter in DC mode and touch one negative and one positive terminal through the holes in the side of the amp to get a voltage reading, then adjust the pot in between the two terminals you are using until the desired voltage is achieved.  A miniature flat-head screwdriver is best for this. (and a third hand is quite helpful too)  Then move the positive probe to the other positive terminal and repeat the process for the other adjustment pot on that side.  Once all 4 -/+ pairs are adjusted you are done.  It's best to do this after the amp has been on long enough to heat up the filaments thoroughly as the bias voltage can be a bit unstable when the amp is cold, and also with no program material playing, as that can make your readings dance around too.  If your readings are really unstable anyway, it might be time for some new tubes.

What I DON'T know is what the correct bias voltage for stock tubes in that amp is.  That's what Hugh will have to ask Melody about.

Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2010, 12:24 am by woofersus »

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #68 on: 20 Oct 2010, 11:56 pm »
Ok.  Looking forward to getting the bias voltage.  I will not have the amp till Saturday actually.

morganc

« Reply #69 on: 21 Oct 2010, 12:02 am »
I don't think the bias is on the side ( I looked and could not find it anywhere) and I know the standard Melody amp biasing...

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #70 on: 27 Oct 2010, 11:46 pm »
I have the amp now - no bias jacks on the sides or anywhere else externally.  Would really appreciate instructions - thanks!

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #71 on: 28 Oct 2010, 01:26 am »
Hmmm....  I read in my searching around that there were some older Melody amps that had access to the bias pots behind the removable bottom panel.  I'm sure Hugh will get official word from Melody soon.  I'm just trying to hunt around for the info in the meantime.

Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2010, 12:21 am by woofersus »

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #72 on: 28 Oct 2010, 01:53 pm »
Paul,

I'm waiting to hear back from Melody concerning your inquiry.

As soon as I hear anything, I'll forward the news to you.

Thanks,

JoshK

« Reply #73 on: 28 Oct 2010, 02:41 pm »
Hugh,

I was just perusing your site (nice site btw).  I was eyeing the M845 monoblocks.  They look damn sexy.  However, I noticed two things that are likely errata in the specs.  First, is the input tube really a 6AN7?  I think you mean 6SN7.  The 6AN7 is an oddball tube and it isn't an octal.

Secondly, the specs say 18W Class AB1.  Its not possible for a single ended amp to be class AB, it has to be class A by design.  Only push-pull amps can be AB. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #74 on: 28 Oct 2010, 02:54 pm »
Morning Josh,

Thank YOU.

I've got to talk to my webdesigner/son about this. :)

It is indeed 6SN7 and it is 21W Class A.

Thanks again Josh,
Hugh,

I was just perusing your site (nice site btw).  I was eyeing the M845 monoblocks.  They look damn sexy.  However, I noticed two things that are likely errata in the specs.  First, is the input tube really a 6AN7?  I think you mean 6SN7.  The 6AN7 is an oddball tube and it isn't an octal.

Secondly, the specs say 18W Class AB1.  Its not possible for a single ended amp to be class AB, it has to be class A by design.  Only push-pull amps can be AB.

mobileusa

• Industry Participant
  • engulfaudio.com - Audio Dealer
    • engulfaudio
« Reply #75 on: 13 Nov 2010, 03:42 pm »
Doc,
Did you resolve you're search for a match for your Zu? Hope you're doing well,
Robert
engulfaudio.com

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #76 on: 13 Nov 2010, 04:02 pm »
Morning Josh,

Thank YOU.

I've got to talk to my webdesigner/son about this. :)

It is indeed 6SN7 and it is 21W Class A.

Thanks again Josh,

There are a ton of typos, I agree with Josh, and the amp does look cool, I would love to know the topology of the the input/driver stage, especially with a cool DHT like the 2A3! Here is what is listed and following is the correction:

Vacuum Tube: 845x1 2A3x1, 6AN7
Power Output: 18W Class AB1
Frequency Response: 20Hz~30IHz
Output Impedance: 4Ω, 8Ω
Input Sensitivity: 1V
S/N: ≥85B T.H.D.: 1%
Dimensions: 300mm x 215mm x 480mm
Net Weight: 21kg

Correction below:

Vacuum Tubes: 845x1 2A3x1, 6SN7X1
Power Output: 21W Class A
Frequency Response: 20Hz~30 kHz
Input Sensitivity: 1V
S/N: ≥85dB; T.H.D.: 1%
Dimensions: 300mm x 215mm x 480mm
Net Weight: 21kg

Best,
Anand.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #77 on: 13 Nov 2010, 04:08 pm »

Actually, that is not correct either.  4 and 8 ohms are the output transformer taps available, NOT the output impedance.  The Zout of the amp is (1) frequency-dependent, (2) only loosely related to the secondary transformer tap, and (3) virtually certainly substantially less than 4 & 8 ohms. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #78 on: 13 Nov 2010, 04:53 pm »
 :D

Morning guys,

I really appreciated your input here.

I've been spending most of my time trying to get our Trinity speakers into production as well as other related tasks such as getting products out to be reviewed, among other things, that I let the website gone untouched for several weeks so your comments are really helping me to get it back on track.

So please don't be shy and go ahead to pick it apart, I'm sure there is some mistakes that need to be corrected.
After all, it's a working process so your help is truly appreciated by us.

Once again, thank you very much.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #79 on: 13 Nov 2010, 06:59 pm »
Actually, that is not correct either.  4 and 8 ohms are the output transformer taps available, NOT the output impedance.  The Zout of the amp is (1) frequency-dependent, (2) only loosely related to the secondary transformer tap, and (3) virtually certainly substantially less than 4 & 8 ohms. 

That's true.  That terminology (not the typos though) is that way because that's how Melody describes it on their own site.  Perhaps we should change "Output Impedance" to "Speaker Taps" or something like that.  I never really thought about it myself. 

Frankly, I'm a little new to the tube world and I'm learning as I go, so having you guys point out these things is actually pretty helpful to me.  I've been reading up on tube rectifiers vs. solid state, different tubes for different purposes (whether it be driver, rectifier, power, etc.) and their various attributes, different types of circuit topologies, feedback, etc. to try to get a better handle on the technical questions I'm sure to be asked.  I know I have a ways to go though.

Hugh and I have been talking about a makeover for his site, so hopefully we'll be getting things in order soon.  If you want to see the other 10 melody products we carry they are all up on my website.

Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2010, 12:20 am by woofersus »