WTB: Melody I2A3 or similar Integrated for Zu Essence

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: WTB: Melody I2A3 or similar Integrated for Zu Essence
« Reply #20 on: 30 Dec 2009, 04:51 am »
Doug is right on the money re Joule Electra amps. :)

I have the VZN-100 in my system and they do run quit hot.

They are ideal at this time of the year but I leave them idling during the summer months.

They are quite good otherwise.

doug s.

• makin' music

jameshuls

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jan 2010, 01:55 am »
I have Zu Druid MK IVs (modifiied with Mundorf Silver/Gold in oil caps and Dueland resistors) that I drive with a Melody H2AS. I ordered my particular amp through Loyalty Sounds in Calgary, AB from a Chinese fellow who goes by the name Albert. It turns out that Albert is also a sound consultant for a number of Chinese manufacturers and is a personal friend of the Melody owner. Therefore, he can get these into Canada for a very good price (I bought a Cayin HA-1A and this amp for less than the price I have seen of the Melody amp alone!).

Now, the strange part: I have never heard of or seen another version of my amp anywhere, despite many searches on the internet. It has a different body (follow this link http://melodyvalvehifi.com and check out the 300B amp that comes up (but again, strangely isn't part of the official collection) - this is the body I have) than the regular H2A - much nicer IMO. It also uses 2 6SN7s per side, unlike the H2A I have seen which uses a 6SN7 and a 6SL7 per side. The preamp section uses 2 x 12AX7.

I am not sure what the I2A3 sounds like as I have never heard it. Albert tells me that the I2A3 has more finesse while my H2AS is more dynamic with better bass control. In any case, I can tell you that the combination is magic. It took awhile for it to appear. The stock combination is very good, don't get me wrong! I have put in Shuguang 2A3Cs, NOS 6SN7GTBs and RCA blackplate 12AX7s/Telefunken ECC83s (depending on my mood) in the preamp stage. Finally, I bypassed the 4 Jensen PIO tin foil 0.47uF caps with 0.1 uF Russian teflon FT-3s.However, modifying the Zu first gave a nice step up in performance of the treble region of the Druid. If you have Zu Essence speakers this will probaly not be necessary. Adding the NOS 6SN7GTBs (various kinds - no real preference) over the stock Sovteks improved the bass greatly. The telefunken ECC83s was a significant upgrade over the stock tubes, although lately I have been running blackplate 1950s Marconi Radiotron 12AX7s, which I believe are rebranded RCA blackplates. These have made a very lush, but still detailed sound that I find very seductive (and addictive)! Finally, I bypassed the Jensen caps before Christmas with those Russian Teflons which can be had for less than $5 a piece on ebay. My reason for dong this was that I had read reviews of the tinfoil versions of the Jensens which really slammed them. I thought , what the hell - might as well see what happens. Well, at first, as is typical of Teflon caps, it sounded POOR. However, after a month of break-in, it has never sounded this good.

The combination of these upgrades, tube-rolling and mods has created a sound which is very magical: Detailed but not analytical, lush and warm, but not fuzzy, beautiful tone, a palpability that I have never heard before an any system. Colored? Probably. Musical? Very. I believe the Marconi/RCA 12AX7s (adding tone and harmony), combined with the Teflon caps (detail and dynamics) has created a synergy. People come over and stop dead in their tracks when they walk into the living room and hear this system playing.

My next step will be to put Shuguang Treasure series 2A3Zs. These are apparently quiet amazing - I can't even imagine what they will do!

I guess my point with all this is that the Melody 2A3 amps (I doubt there is much of a difference between the various incarnation) are a great match for Zu speakers. I would love to hear how the Essence would sound with this amp, as I still feel the bass is a little lacking with the Druids (notice how Zu stopped making their subs once the Essence came out?), and I wouldn't say the top end sparkles quite the way some people like. Add a few mods, tubes etc and you can really take a great combination and make it stellar. You can also add a different preamp at a later date by turning the attenuator of the amp to 12 'o'clock. I have heard this at Loyalty Sounds with my amp paired with a melody 1688 preamp. Wow!

BTW, Albert at Loyalty Sounds will also do any mods you want done, and offers advice about sensible modification upgrade paths. The guy has been building audio equipment since he was 12! Hopefully this is helpful and not just a rambling mess! James
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2010, 07:06 pm by jameshuls »

toobluvr

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2010, 04:14 pm »

:o

Ever hear the word "paragraph"?

jameshuls

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jan 2010, 04:38 pm »

Tooblusr, ever heard the word "polite"

morganc

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:18 pm »
Thanks James.....I appreciate the advice and your experience and I will give Albert a call.
Best,
Morgan

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:28 pm »
toobluvr - Since you seem to be a believer in correction, here's something you have been asked to correct by the administrators:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76053.0

toobluvr

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:39 pm »
Tooblusr, ever heard the word "polite"

Sure I have.  I can even use it in a sentence:

Out of consideration for your readers, it is polite to use paragraphs.

:rotflmao:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #28 on: 13 Jan 2010, 06:16 pm »
Thanks toobluvr! :thumb: Somebody had to say it although you were a little heavy handed. :roll:

Jameshuls fine rambling cap/tube review certainly would be easier to read with some paragraphs.

-Roy

jameshuls

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:02 pm »
Paragraphs for all! :eyebrows:

toobluvr

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:31 pm »
Thanks toobluvr! :thumb: Somebody had to say it although you were a little heavy handed. :roll:

Jameshuls fine rambling cap/tube review certainly would be easier to read with some paragraphs.

-Roy

Can't help the heavy-hands.....
they match the rest of my body!

:lol:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:44 pm »
Paragraphs for all! :eyebrows:

Good job!!! :thumb: :green:

jameshuls

« Reply #32 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:57 pm »
Good job!!!

This is the strangest forum I have ever been on... I am starting to feel like a 6 year old :roll: :icon_lol:

mshan

« Reply #33 on: 15 Jan 2010, 12:18 am »
May I ask OP what part of country OP is located in?

I have a really nice Moth Si2A3 I am possibilly thinking about putting up for sale.

morganc

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jan 2010, 09:26 am »
I am in Northern California and would like to hear more about your amp.    Are you local?  Any experience pairing with Zu's?
Thanks,
Morgan

mshan

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jan 2010, 02:12 pm »
I am in Virginia.

I run the Moth Si2A3 with Klipsch Cornwall II speakers; don't know much about the Zu and never heard them.

I just got a Miniwatt and trying to decide if it is sufficiently musical for the Cornwalls (this is a second system that I only use casually).

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #36 on: 15 Jan 2010, 03:44 pm »
I don't consider myself an authority on amps nor am I in the camp that believes they are enormously costly or particularly difficult to design and implement well (and I come from an electrical engineering background).  But I would agree that some amps are better designed than others.

I am posting because I own a Melody I2A3.  I use it in a dedicated headphone setup to drive a pair of AKG K1000 earspeakers.

What I can say is that the Melody is very well designed and built.  It is not as warm sounding as the 300B Woo mono block amps that drive my speaker setup (I have used the Woos with my AKG K1000s), but the sound quality is quite alluring to my ear.  The glossy piano black finish is a lovely sight to behold.  I was sold on the amp after reading a review of it on 6Moons -- not so much for the write up but rather because of the detailed pictures of the interior that showed a very nice, professionally done point-to-point wiring job.

EDIT: My apologies.  I got to this thread from the home page and didn't realize this was a WTB thread when I posted.

--Jerome

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #37 on: 15 Jan 2010, 04:00 pm »
I 2nd what Jerome said.

I visited Melody factory last November and see how they were built personally.
They use all quality parts for their products and I was (and still is) so impressed with their works that I accepted to be their new US Distributor in The US.

As recently as yesterday when we supposed to launch the all new US models that I was told to hold off on it since one of the models got a little tiny smear on the finish.  This indicates they are serious about doing the best they know how in bringing a quality line of products back into The US.

I personally have had their P1688 Signature Pre in my reference setup for quite some time and I am truly happy with its performance.

As soon as pictures and specs are available, I'll start a separate thread.

Thanks,

jameshuls

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jan 2010, 04:00 pm »
I have to agree wholeheartedly with Joel. These amps are very well built with very thick, wonderfully sculpted panels, impeccable point to point wiring and very high quality parts. I too was sold on the 6moons review detailing not only the sound, but the impeccable build quality (I regularly take it out of the system, take the bottom off and admire the "up-the-skirt' view  :eyebrows:). If these were made in Europe or North America, I am sure they would cost (and still be worth) at least double the asking price.

As for the sound, it is true they are cool sounding in their stock form. However, judicious tube-rolling is advised, as in my experience it has a profound, and positive, effect.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #39 on: 15 Jan 2010, 04:02 pm »
Btw, how do you post pictures?