Are Drew Brees and the Saints that good?

Goosepond

• Virna!
Are Drew Brees and the Saints that good?
« on: 3 Dec 2009, 04:24 pm »
It may be too soon to tell, but decide for yourself.  :thumb:

Gene

Big Red Machine

Re: Are Drew Brees and the Saints that good?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2009, 04:29 pm »
He's certainly got a great arm and their kicker puts you back into the endzone.  But the team isn't as well rounded as the Vikes in my biased opinion.

rydenfan

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2009, 04:39 pm »
That is certainly a biased opinion, as is mine  :wink: I would argue the Vikings have a few superstars and not nearly the well-rounded team the Saints are. The Saints are in the top 3 in almost every offensive category without a receiever in the top 30. There D is also steller and are in the top 3 in red zone stops, and have the most takeaways and points off takeaways of any team in the league. The Vikings are good but Favre is old and without him it is T-Jerk running the offense.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2009, 05:53 pm »
I think the Saints are the best team in the NFL right now but they have a habit of letting the other team get a head start in a lot of their games and then coming on strong and overtaking them. That practice could backfire in the playoffs where the competition is consistently better than what they see every week - and the circumstances are sudden death. If you don't quite catch up, you are out.

Indianapolis plays that way too and has a lot less explosiveness than the Saints. A hungry team might surprise them early.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2009, 05:57 pm »
Saint's coach is a plus for them and Drees ability to execute.  Minn is a better team on paper.  Think I like the Saints at this time.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2009, 06:01 pm »
Farve had a fast start with the Jets but faltered in the big games down the stretch. I think the Vikings are a better all around team than the Jets were last year but it only takes a faltering Farve to stop that run. New Orleans has much more going for it than just the quarterback but a faltering game when it counts can stop any team. You just never know who's gonna show up with the big game @ playoff time. I'm getting psyched up for the playoffs this year,,,, notice I'm not mentioning my team? :duh:

Cheers,
Robin

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2009, 06:04 pm »
I'm getting psyched up for the playoffs this year,,,, notice I'm not mentioning my team? :duh:

Cheers,
Robin
That's because we never know which version of "our team" is going to show up from week to week.  I suspect that we will have our hand full with a wounded and dangerous NY team. 
I suspect that between the Vikings and the Saints, there is only one big play difference in them.  Both are playing top caliber football right now.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2009, 07:13 pm »
What I like about this season is there are a lot of good teams and the teams at the top are really good.

I thought the game between the Pats and the Colts was maybe the best NFL game I've ever seen. It lived up to the hype with 2 premier QB's at the top of their game. It doesn't get any better than that.

I'm really looking forward to the playoffs. The thought of the Saints going against the Vikes to see who goes to the Super Bowl to play the Colts/Pats/Bengals (who?)/Titans(are you kidding) makes my mouth water.  :thumb:

Gene

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2009, 11:46 pm »
After watching the Saints destroy the Pats on Monday night, I would take them over the Vikes and over the Colts in a game.  If they remain on top and get home field during the playoffs, they will be the odd's on favorite to win the big one.  The only thing that can stop them is injury to key players. 

The offense gets all of the ink (rightfully so) but the D really impressed me against the Pats.  Brady was shaking in his boots and very frustrated.  It's a different story outdoors but I don't think the Saints have to worry about that for a while.  Just my opinion...

Bigfish

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2009, 12:03 am »
Guys:

There is one great thing about NFL Football and that is the 2010 Superbowl Champion gets to earn that Crown on the Field.  We the fans, the coaches nor the damn sportscasters are able to select the champion.  The Playoffs are do or die, one and done which makes this the most exciting sport!

I think the Vikings are the only NFC team that might be able to give New Orleans a serious game if they were to match-up in the Playoffs.  Right now you have three quarterbacks running away with the MVP award - Manning, Brees and Favre.  It will be interesting how this plays out.

Have you guys seen the recent results of #1 Seeded Teams winning the Superbowl.  It has not been good with the Pats being the last #1 seeded team to do it.

Ken

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2009, 12:41 am »
Guys:

There is one great thing about NFL Football and that is the 2010 Superbowl Champion gets to earn that Crown on the Field.  We the fans, the coaches nor the damn sportscasters are able to select the champion.  The Playoffs are do or die, one and done which makes this the most exciting sport!

I think the Vikings are the only NFC team that might be able to give New Orleans a serious game if they were to match-up in the Playoffs.  Right now you have three quarterbacks running away with the MVP award - Manning, Brees and Favre.  It will be interesting how this plays out.

Have you guys seen the recent results of #1 Seeded Teams winning the Superbowl.  It has not been good with the Pats being the last #1 seeded team to do it.

Ken

Great post, I agree with all of your comments.  We can only comment on how teams are playing now.  The beauty of this league is that anything can happen.  When the Giants won it a couple years ago, they were a different team in the playoffs.  Maybe a team will get hot.  I like NO but if they have any  injuries things could be different fast. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2009, 12:47 am »
As hot as the Saints are now, they still don't match the supernova heat of the Pats from a couple of years back.  Once the playoffs start, the championship rings are up for grabs.  At this time last year, would anyone have picked the Cardinals to be seconds away from a Superbowl win?

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2009, 01:21 am »
As hot as the Saints are now, they still don't match the supernova heat of the Pats from a couple of years back.  Once the playoffs start, the championship rings are up for grabs.  At this time last year, would anyone have picked the Cardinals to be seconds away from a Superbowl win?

Absolutely not. Everyone would have known the Titans would have easily beaten them. Oops! :thumb:

Gene

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #13 on: 4 Dec 2009, 01:55 am »
Drew Brees? Yeah, he's that good.  :thumb:

Since joining the Saints, he leads the league in passing yards, touchdown passes, and 300 yard games. He is only one of five quarterbacks in NFL history to pass for over 4,000 yards in three consecutive seasons, and this season is not counted in that stat (yet).

It looks like the Saints may have finally built a team around this guy that can go all the way. We'll see. At the rate he is playing, the Team will be hard to beat.

Have fun,
Jerry

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2009, 08:22 pm »
The Saints are involved with the NFC East Washington Redskins his weekend and  are presently down 27-17 midway thru the 3rd quarter. The NFC East historically has the tuffest defense so this will be a good test to determine what Brees and the Saints are really made of. The undefeated Colts have come from behind time and time again this season, can the Saints?  :o

edit: 30-20 Redskins @12:48 4th quarter  :duh:
Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2009, 09:19 pm »
30-30 with 1:19 left! :o :o :o  Plenty of time for the Redskins who previously just missed a chipshot fieldgoal that would have sealed the win for them. Unbelievable,,,,,,,  8)

Saints interecpt the ball with 28 seconds, a 58 yard fieldgoal attempt,,,,,,, misses!

OVERTIME!!!!!!!

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2009, 09:51 pm »
The Saints never had a lead in this ballgame, yet they win in overtime!  :thumb:

Saints never should have even had the opportunity to tie up this game but a missed  Redskin chipshot gave them that shot and Brees took full advantage. That my folks is the real deal.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2009, 09:55 pm »
I just looked in my crystal ball and it said the Saints will come from behind and win.

Oops, they did! :thumb: :green:

Gene

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2009, 10:19 pm »
2 teams, Payton Manning's Indy Colts & Drew Brees's N.O. Saints sit @ 12-0,,, 3/4 of the way thru the season.

Who's gonna blink 1st?  :scratch:   :o   :hyper:   :dance:

Cheers,
Robin

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #19 on: 6 Dec 2009, 10:32 pm »
2 teams, Payton Manning's Indy Colts & Drew Brees's N.O. Saints sit @ 12-0,,, 3/4 of the way thru the season.

Who's gonna blink 1st?  :scratch:   :o   :hyper:   :dance:

Cheers,
Robin

Just dreaming out loud here, but it would be the Superbowl of Superbowls if two undefeated's got to play each other.  aa

Hoping against hope it happens, and Go Saints,
Jerry