Are Drew Brees and the Saints that good?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Are Drew Brees and the Saints that good?
« Reply #60 on: 28 Dec 2009, 03:57 am »
I'm not as down on Cutler as you are and would STILL take him over Orton.  Orton would have been in the same boat (maybe worse) if he stayed.  Jay has taken a beating, literally and figuratively and has no one to throw to and no time to throw.  Factor in one of the worst run games in the league and a sad pathetic defense and you have the current Bears team.

I was just giving you crap.  He's still a Pro Bowl QB, but Chicago simply has no talent for him to work with.

As for Favre, well..."Chilly" is reaping what he's sown.  He completely whored himself out going after Favre, kissing his ass daily.  He cheuffeured from the airport & probably carried his bags into the house! :lol:  Now he's gotta try to wear the pants in the family and it's not going to work.  I still think Favre is a great QB and like their chances, but if one of 'em has to go I wish it would be "Chilly."  I think he's a joke of a coach.  Kudos for whoring it out to get Favre but consider how long he stuck withe T-Jerk, quite possibly the second worst NFL starter since Ryan Leaf.  With the talent Minnie has they should be contending every year, not wilting in the stretch.

jackman

« Reply #61 on: 28 Dec 2009, 05:08 am »
I'm not as down on Cutler as you are and would STILL take him over Orton.  Orton would have been in the same boat (maybe worse) if he stayed.  Jay has taken a beating, literally and figuratively and has no one to throw to and no time to throw.  Factor in one of the worst run games in the league and a sad pathetic defense and you have the current Bears team.

I was just giving you crap.  He's still a Pro Bowl QB, but Chicago simply has no talent for him to work with.

As for Favre, well..."Chilly" is reaping what he's sown.  He completely whored himself out going after Favre, kissing his ass daily.  He cheuffeured from the airport & probably carried his bags into the house! :lol:  Now he's gotta try to wear the pants in the family and it's not going to work.  I still think Favre is a great QB and like their chances, but if one of 'em has to go I wish it would be "Chilly."  I think he's a joke of a coach.  Kudos for whoring it out to get Favre but consider how long he stuck withe T-Jerk, quite possibly the second worst NFL starter since Ryan Leaf.  With the talent Minnie has they should be contending every year, not wilting in the stretch.

I agree.  The Vikings have the best running back in the game (one of the best at least) and a very good defense.  If the Vikings get their run game back in order, they will be tough to beat.  Favre is a real wild-card.  We'll see who shows up tomorrow. Either way, I would be shocked if the Vikings lost tomorrow.  The Bears are a sad bunch. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #62 on: 8 Feb 2010, 03:03 am »
Yes, he is: MVP of the Super Bowl. And yes, they are: Super Bowl Champions!!!

Congratulations, Saints!!!

bummrush

« Reply #63 on: 8 Feb 2010, 04:34 am »
 Best part was watching Saints get that interception, i thought it was the Vikes game all over again

mshan

« Reply #64 on: 8 Feb 2010, 04:52 am »
What a well played game by both teams!

Seems to me that in the second quarter, both teams and Peyton Manning realized the Saints were the better team and that the Colts defense could not stop New Orleans.

Peyton seemed to force things in the second half, I am guessing because he felt some pressure knowing that the Saints could basically score at will against the Colts defense.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #65 on: 8 Feb 2010, 02:42 pm »
Even Mark Sanchez was able to pick apart the Colts pass defense. No wonder Brees was able to make them look bad. Colts are done. From here on out, they are going to find the going much tougher.

Bigfish

« Reply #66 on: 8 Feb 2010, 03:05 pm »
The strength of the Colt's defense is with the speedy defensive front applying pressure to the quarterback and causing him to make poor decisions.  I don't know how many plays Dwight Freeny participated in during the second half but he certainly did not play after half time with the same intensity. 

My hat goes off to the Saints - they would not be denied.  It was truly a great Superbowl Game and up until the interception in the 4th quarter either team could have won!  I started watching the game to see the commercials and honestly got totally caught-up into it because it was such a great game!

I would also like to add that Shawn Payton performed an outstanding job of coaching.  Think about the on-side kick and the challenge of the 2 point conversion play!

Congratulations Saints!

Ken

PS:  I just heard on Sirius NFL that CBS had 50 cameras at the game last night.  This compares to 8 on a normal Sunday Game and maybe 16 on a Monday Night Game. 

Bigfish

« Reply #67 on: 8 Feb 2010, 03:36 pm »
The guys on Sirius NFL just commented that Tony Dungy's Prediction prior to the Superbowl likely served as extra motivation for New Orleans:  http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/dungy-says-super-bowl-wont-be-close/

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #68 on: 8 Feb 2010, 03:53 pm »
Well, since I started this thread, I'll answer my own question, which at the time, I really found hard to believe.

I guess the proof is in the pudding. They really are that good. Just look at the scoreboard.  :thumb:

After over 40 years of "wait 'till next year", next year finally got here.

All I got to say is "How sweet it is!"

Geaux Saints!

Gene

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #69 on: 8 Feb 2010, 04:34 pm »
Can't argue with results, Gene.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #70 on: 8 Feb 2010, 04:45 pm »
Brees and his receivers looked unstoppable.    Great game.... the SB is often unwatchable but this one was good right up until Peyton threw that Interception.     The call to make an onside kick coming out at the half took some big testicles too.    Overall the team that executed the best and had the smartest game-plan won.   

Great job Saints.... you deserved this one.