Poll

Do you pay attention to reviews? How much influence do they have & where do you look?

Webzines
0 (0%)
Print magazines
1 (3.6%)
Word of mouth
5 (17.9%)
I don't read reviews
1 (3.6%)
I don't trust reviews
2 (7.1%)
I make assumptions
1 (3.6%)
Make up my own mind based on technical facts
1 (3.6%)
I ask the vendor/manufacturer questions
1 (3.6%)
Options 1+2+3
15 (53.6%)
Options 4+6+3
1 (3.6%)
Options 6+8
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Reviews: How important are they to you?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Reviews: How important are they to you?
« on: 28 Nov 2009, 01:23 pm »
I purposely didn't add review organizations. You are more then welcome to say who you like the best. This is a great opportunity to share your knowledge of shopping.

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Reviews: How important are they to you?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2009, 02:02 pm »
Don't believe anything anybody says. There's always human error present to taint the results if intentions are good, and skullduggery if the opinions are inspired by lesser motives.

To circumvent these traps and the failings they can lead to, I have fashioned an audio equipment divining rod and pleasure meter from an old, unused rabbit ears antenna and a digital tachometer. This thing leads me directly to the best sound and it has saved me from spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on audio gear purchases. Plus I can't even guess how many hours I've saved by not reading reviews.  Recommended.

bunky

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2009, 02:31 pm »
I would rather listen to impressions from folks i know who have tastes that run similar to my own. certain people here at AC and at other audio boards have opinions that carry weight with me.the caveat is that if you cant listen to a piece of gear in your own System/room results can vary greatly.nothing is carved in stone when it comes to audio  :scratch:.thanks.....WCW III

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2009, 03:01 pm »
Some reviewers are consistent and know what sounds good. I enjoy reading their reviews for perspective on what's new and what I might be curious to hear at trade show or dealer. For tubes, Dick Olsher and Jon Valin are decent. I would never trust Art Dudley, but he does most of their tube amp reviews, waste of ink, imo.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2009, 06:52 pm »
A good review sure helps when you're ready to SELL something!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2009, 01:16 pm »
How accurate was the review of the item you bought if your purchase was based on a review or recommendation?

kingdeezie

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2009, 03:05 pm »
I think reviews in any manner, be it from a regular person, or a magazine, tend to only provide disappointment; at least in my experience.

However, I would almost tend to lean towards a professional review over someone who was posting on a forum about their experiences.

Most people in this hobby got wrapped up into hyperbole; and create this amazing picture of the possibilities you can experience with X, Y, or Z component. About how DAC A, totally outclassed DAC B, and how DAC A brings the performer right into the room; their sweat pouring on your face, their breath down your neck. How DAC A lets you smell Frank Sinatra's cologne, of Diana Krall's shampoo of choice.

I tend to get wrapped up into these things and expect way to much of an increase in a component; and always get let down when all I smell is my baby's freshly soiled diaper...

Also, as others have said, components are significantly dependent on the system around them, and that makes it even harder.

At this point, I read all I can about the things that I can afford, and make decisions about auditioning from there.

I think regardless of where the review is coming from, you have to read between the lines.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2009, 03:36 pm »
When optimizing a system, the one component that most significantly effects your experience is you. Since you are also the most variable, it only makes sense to apply your efforts to modifications of that component. Many of you practice this by applying alcohol or other substances to the most variable component until you achieve the desired modification. This is as valid as any other approach and often the most satisfactory. It also renders the opinions of audio reviewers utterly useless.

Learn how to love what you have by practicing application rather than acquisition. You can tell that many of the reviewers are drunk when they take notes. Perhaps they should include a list of substances when they publish their associated equipment.

jimbop

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2009, 06:14 pm »
A single review is just an opinion. However, if I am considering a piece of gear, I look for as many reviews and comments as I can find, and use this to help narrow down my choices.

JakeJ

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2009, 08:15 pm »
I try to use every source possible for information on something I'm considering buying.  I have excellent results this way but there have been a couple of flops.

I will say it has been fun playing with a variety of gear but I am settling down to the final setup.

YMMV,
Jake

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2009, 08:23 pm »
I find one aspect of the poll fascinating: It seems people are placing as much weight on webzines as printed magazine reviews. True, nobody has voted on either, but silence is consent to my possibly inaccurate hypothesis. I agree it's best to look at all sources- but I like it that webzines carry as much weight as print magazines, so far.  If this is not the case, please tell us all.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2009, 08:26 pm »
I feel reviews are good for consumers if done with integrity. Reviews are nothing more than a personal observation by a human being. If the review is written in the proper manner and without bias (difficult to evaluate in many cases), it can give the consumer a good idea of what can be expected.

Just last week I received a review from a private individual on one of our products. I thought is was one of the best writtings I have seen. Other have commented the same. Even when comparing professional reviewers.

If a reviewer can justify their comments, positive or negative, that is where the credibility comes in. The key is the ability to read between the lines.

Another good thing about reviews is exposure.

Pez

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2009, 02:34 am »
I personally feel like reviews are a good thing regardless of where they're coming from, that said I also feel like you must take EVERYTHING you hear with a grain of salt. I find tubes to be a lot less "system dependent" than some will claim. While I don't discount personal opinion I do think that sometimes peoples preferences and beliefs skew their perception.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2009, 04:44 am »
Knowing what type of sound a reviewer prefers will go a long way to making their reviews more useful.  Do they prefer Krell and Wilson type of sound?  Or Conrad-Johnson and Sonus Faber type sound?  I would lean toward the latter.  So if a Krell type person said that a piece of gear was "brutally revealing", I'd know to avoid it like the plague.  However, if that same person said a piece of gear was "soft" or rounded, then I'd want to check it out.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2009, 01:36 pm »
This seemed odd- not many people voted for asking the vendor/manufacturer questions. A tremendous amount of information can be provided by either source, including whether the equipment you're looking at will work in your setup properly. They can provide in-depth technical information that is very important to know. Many people will look at a good review and purchase based on that only to be be disappointed later on due to a lack of pertinent information.

This does not make what the reviewer said less important. It just means the equipment work in his system and may not in yours.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2009, 02:23 pm »
   Eqipment reviews are a good read and informative. Now we all know that reviewers systems are different than our own. So the review is inherintly flawed from the start.
   If from the review the character of the piece is described than one can make an educated quess as to the synergy the piece would have in ones system.
   Input is a good thing. Right here were we reside are plenty of real life experiences from fellow enthusiasts which we can learn from. All very helpfull.
   It was the threads here that turned me on to the Alan Maher products. Not the rags. Have leaned a lot from the Manfs input here as well.
   So do reviews have creedance IMO YES. 

charles

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2009, 06:44 pm »
This seemed odd- not many people voted for asking the vendor/manufacturer questions. A tremendous amount of information can be provided by either source, including whether the equipment you're looking at will work in your setup properly. They can provide in-depth technical information that is very important to know. Many people will look at a good review and purchase based on that only to be be disappointed later on due to a lack of pertinent information.

This does not make what the reviewer said less important. It just means the equipment work in his system and may not in yours.

There are a several manufacturers that have been extraordinarily helpful to me.  However, I think that some people would question manufacturers' biases and assume, albeit often incorrectly, that personal or professional reviews are more objective.  The other issue with manufacturers is availability.  While Frank Van Alstine, Jim Salk, Dan Wright, you, and some other manufacturers answer the telephone and respond to email, I suspect finding someone knowledgeable and objective at Harmon Industries or another larger manufacturer, if a prospective customer were inclined, might be more difficult.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2009, 07:10 pm »
Tech support at dbx, a Harmon division, has been exemplary so that's something to consider about bigger companies, although the fact that they are equipped to be very helpful does not guarantee that they will be.

Right now all manufacturers are hungry and service, if they can afford to provide it, should be excellent.

Reviewers, on the other hand, are parasites. Just imagine how much the magazine review game and the trade shows must add to the overhead of a small manufacturer. This all adds to your price. Kind of a vicious circle.

Zu has figured something out with these house parties. Watch them flourish.

DustyC

« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2009, 08:18 pm »
Pick a reviewer who seems to have the "biases" that you do ("I value bass above all" or "soundstaging is where it's at", etc.). Reviews by that person are more valuable for decision making. Of course, if a number of different reviewers have commented about a piece of gear and they've all loved it then that item might be worth a look also.

I remember the OLD Absolute Sound (HP days) when a product would be passed around to a number of people to get their opinion. An often lively discussion would ensue, sometimes running for a few issues.

If a person is looking for a used item, the reviews are invaluable to separate the cream from the crap.

TONEPUB

« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2009, 08:23 pm »
Tech support at dbx, a Harmon division, has been exemplary so that's something to consider about bigger companies, although the fact that they are equipped to be very helpful does not guarantee that they will be.

Right now all manufacturers are hungry and service, if they can afford to provide it, should be excellent.

Reviewers, on the other hand, are parasites. Just imagine how much the magazine review game and the trade shows must add to the overhead of a small manufacturer. This all adds to your price. Kind of a vicious circle.

Zu has figured something out with these house parties. Watch them flourish.

Well, aren't you just mr. know it all.  If everyone's opinion is flawed, what makes what you have to say valid or worth anything?  And even though Zu has gone direct, they still send their stuff out for review, it's an essential part of the sales cycle.

All a good review should do is to pique the readers interest enough to go to a dealer or wherever the product is sold and investigate for themselves. It's the companies job to deliver at that point and depends on your room/budget/what kind of sound you like as to whether it's worth parting with your hard earned cash.

If we want to play devil's advocate for a minute, it could be argued that a lot of the people that spout off on these forums have very limited experience, (mostly) lousy systems, (mostly) lousy rooms, and questionable listening and analysis skills.  Typically what I see when someone asks a vague question like "what kind of speaker should I buy?"  The Magnepan guy chimes in an suggests the speaker he owns, as does every other guy with what they own.

Not so much fun when you're the one being insulted is it...

So many people in this world (and car world, motorcycle world, camera world, etc...) wrap their identity up in their possessions and freak out if someone else doesn't like what they like.  What many of the forum guys can't seem to understand is that if I don't like your speakers, that doesn't mean they are bad.  And if I love a pair of speakers, that doesn't mean they'll be right for you.  It's that easy.  How is a guy that owns a pair of Vandersteen 5's going to be objective about that product?  That person can tell me why he chose that product above all others, and I'd certainly factor that in, but it's not anywhere near an "unbiased" opinion.

I rarely see questions asked, like, what size is your room? what kind of condition is it in?  will your wife let you put room treatments in the room?  What is your ability/patience level to set speakers up?  before even getting to the obvious, what's your budget and what kind of gear do you have now? questions.

And please explain how the review cycle adds more cost to a piece of equipment, other than shipping it back and forth.  We review gear from advertisers and non advertisers, doesn't really matter.  And by the time I pay a writer, two editors, an art director and spend a full day of my time taking photos and editing those photos, I'm pulling about 2 grand out of my pocket every time we do a review.

If you're buying a piece of hifi gear, it's like buying anything else.  Get as much information as you can and audition as much gear as you can before you shell out your hard earned money.  If we've done anything to help you on that journey, it's always a good day here.