James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BCD-1 laser cleaning
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2009, 04:52 pm »
Should the BCD-1 laser require cleaning and is the lens plastic or glass  :o

Hi,

The lens is self-cleaning and is pure crystal.

james
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2009, 01:48 pm by James Tanner »

Robert D

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2009, 07:27 pm »
I guess that means NO

Robert

nikon

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2009, 02:41 am »
Mr Tanner

Lens is pure crystal as in pure glass-type crystal - polished for optics

Impressive

srb

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:30 am »
I wish the computer CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive manufacturers would list the specification of whether the laser lens is plastic/resin vs. optical crystal/mineral glass.

Obviously the latter is preferable.  The glass has better clarity, and would be more resistant than plastic to any static charge buildup on the lens, which might make dust adhere better.

Steve

nikon

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2009, 10:48 am »
James

Is the lens optical crystal/mineral glass

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2009, 01:45 pm »
James

Well apparently I was just informed that engineering was having a joke at my expense  :oops: - I will find out what the actual lens material is and report back.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2009, 02:11 pm »
I had a hunch something was amiss.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:50 pm »
You have to understand the mentality of the engineering types.

Myself, being an audiophile, I am constantly asking engineering about issues that when asked they look at me sideways. Most engineers are concerned about measurable performance and when I ask a question that appears to be dubious in their opinion I get the "what have you been smoking" look! I guess I asked one to many questions this week.

Anyway to all you engineering types out there I just want you to know that "audiophiles are people too"

James

Robert D

« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:00 pm »
James, can you find out if the lens needs to be cleaned

Robert

ian.ameline

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:16 pm »
As an engineer I find this particular prank amusing :-). He had to say something plausible -- if he had told you it was solid diamond hand polished in Japan by the descendants of samurai warriors, your BS detector would have gone off. Instead he says "pure crystal".  :lol:

This is believable to a non-engineer, but to an engineer, it still doesn't smell right. My next question would have been "a pure crystal made of what material, smart-ass?". ("Crystal" is a bit of a give-away, as neither plastic nor glass are technically crystalline -- and if there is one thing that distinguishes engineers from the great unwashed masses, it is precision when talking about technical matters.)

This sounds like Dan's deadpan humor. Am I Right?

-- Ian.

-- In any event, to an engineer, the lens material is not terribly meaningful. When it comes to the drive mechanism, what counts (besides mechanical reliability, robustness and serviceability) is the measured jitter and error rate, and that rate in the presence of vibration, and unbalanced discs etc .

--- To everyone thinking that the lens needs cleaning -- are you feeding sandwiches into your BCD? The mechanism in which the lens is placed is fragile, and needs to operate with extremely high mechanical precision -- unless you know exactly what you're doing, you're much more likely to damage it than successfully clean the lens. Leave it alone.

Robert D

« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:21 pm »
Ian, does this Lens ever have to be cleaned ?

We all know what Dust is all about

Your thoughts please

Robert

Robert D

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:25 pm »

Here is a little note on how to keep you Cd's in good working Order.
How to take care of CDs
The common misconception when the Compact Disc format arrived was that they were impregnable - it would be impossible to damage them. All of us will be aware of how untrue this became in reality and although more robust than vinyl and audio-cassette, they should be handled with a good degree of care.  A deep scratch will cause your disc to skip, stick or sometimes eject altogether and that can be infuriating.   

As it is a digital format, repair kits don't work particularly well, so it's a good idea to look after your CDs from the off.

In terms of cleaning, a good option is to use plain round wipes made specifically for CD cleaning.  It is recommended to wipe the CD from the center hole to the outer edge and not to wipe in a circular motion as this will leave marks.  It may sound simple but to guard against scratches on your CDs, keep them in their cases when not in use.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:33 pm »
I know some customers that have told me they put all their important CD's on CDR's and use the CDR in day to day play and store the original CD for the reasons Robert mentions above.

james

srb

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2009, 06:00 pm »
There are makers of "mineral glass" laser lenses for CD / DVD / Blu-ray laser pickups in both Japan and China.

Mineral glass usually refers to a "glass" made of something other than silica and limestone used in standard glass manufacturing.  Mineral sapphire watch crystals are made from both Aluminum Oxide and Calcium Flouride.  The mineral glass lenses are harder and clearer than plastic resin lenses.

Although I don't really know if using glass over plastic makes a difference in CD/DVD player applications, it certainly does in fiber optic strands used in fiber optic cables over long distances, without the signal degradation that plastic has.

Since I don't really know, I would still pay the $1.25 difference or whatever to have the premium lens in my player.  It certainly couldn't hurt.

As far as atmospheric dust and dirt, it can cause reading errors if present on the surface of the disc or the reading lens.  Most drive mechanisms don't have a problem as the rotating disc provides enough "airflow" to keep dust and particles off of the lens.  If you have other atmospheric conditions such as gummy cigarette smoke, it's a different ballgame.  Just look at the interior of a windshield in a smoker's car.

Physical cleaning of a laser lens is not recommended for a user, as if it is knocked slightly out of alignment you will have problems.  Professionals with the proper equipment can realign the laser, but with the high cost of labor and the low cost of replacment mechanisms, they are usually replaced.

Steve

werd

« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2009, 07:48 pm »
James

Well apparently I was just informed that engineering was having a joke at my expense  :oops: - I will find out what the actual lens material is and report back.

james

HAHA... begs the question though. how much other stuff have you told us that has been nothing more than an  engineering joke?. Howd you find out that was an engineering joke?

20 year warranty startd off as an engineering joke gone bad..... dam u went and  told em 20 years..... now we gotta give it em..... :lol:

Robert D

« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2009, 08:22 pm »
HAHA... begs the question though. how much other stuff have you told us that has been nothing more than an  engineering joke?. Howd you find out that was an engineering joke?

20 year warranty startd off as an engineering joke gone bad..... dam u went and  told em 20 years..... now we gotta give it em.....

WERD 2 THUMBS UP !

Robert

drummermitchell

« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2009, 09:39 pm »
 aa.

Mag

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2009, 11:08 pm »
If I use my lense cleaning cd, will that damage the BCD-1 lense? It uses somekind of chemical process when the laser's heat passes over the disc.

drummermitchell

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2009, 11:27 pm »
my tech in Edmonton only EVER uses a Q tip with warm water to clean a lens.
You might have a chemical reaction :bomb:, :sad:.