BCD-1 laser cleaning

Robert D

Re: BCD-1 laser cleaning
« Reply #20 on: 28 Nov 2009, 01:03 pm »
James

Is the lens optical crystal/mineral glass

Well apparently I was just informed that engineering was having a joke at my expense  :oops: - I will find out what the actual lens material is and report back.

james

Did the Boys at Bryston ever get get to you ?
Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 28 Nov 2009, 01:15 pm »
No -not yet but I believe the lens is plastic in the Phillips drive.

james

Robert D

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2009, 01:38 pm »
No -not yet but I believe the lens is plastic in the Phillips drive.

james

James, can you ask the Boys if that Plastic lens ever has to be Cleaned.
At what intervals.

Robert

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2009, 01:44 pm »
Don't know if this site has any useful info - http://www.marantzphilips.nl/Philips_cdm9_cd_mechanism/

I was kind of shocked when I first read the thread about the crystal.  :scratch:  But figured I'd just let the thread evolve.

srb

« Reply #24 on: 28 Nov 2009, 02:03 pm »
From the Philips CDM - cd mechanism list page (http://www.marantzphilips.nl/philips_cdm_cd_mechanism_list/)

Rodenstock
The company placed in charge of this was the respected German optical manufacturer Rodenstock. Philips has used extravagant glass-backed optical lens blocks designed by Rodenstock in all of their high-grade drive mechanisms beginning with the Philips CDM0.

Steve

Robert D

« Reply #25 on: 28 Nov 2009, 02:07 pm »

I found a Topless BCD-1
Wrong color but it will do

I would like to know where will all that Dust will build up
That has to be  removed & cleaned

Thank you

Robert

srb

« Reply #26 on: 28 Nov 2009, 02:29 pm »
While I thought that CD brush-type cleaning discs were generally frowned upon, Philips has their own US2-PH62022 cleaning disc.
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/u/us2-ph62022/us2-ph62022_pss_aen.pdf

Interestingly, on the disc is the warning:
WARNING: NOT TO BE USED WITH X-BOX OR ANY OTHER GAMING SYSTEM
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/u/us2-ph62022/us2-ph62022_rtp_.jpg

Steve

Robert D

« Reply #27 on: 28 Nov 2009, 02:40 pm »
Steve, you got me on that one.

We will all have to wait on James.

In the mean time my BCD-1 Stays Dusty

Robert

drummermitchell

« Reply #28 on: 28 Nov 2009, 02:57 pm »
We'll I gotta say,I have an old Telefunken #1010 cdp that has to be at least 10
yr. or older,she's powered up all the time and never been cleaned.
I changed the belt on her and that's it.
I use her plugged into a soundboard for personal practice,NO ISSUES :thumb:.
there's no digital out and I can't see a date on her,but I'm sure I picked her up
in the 80s,maybe if I cleaned her,she'd quit altogether,if she ain't broke,don't fix it.

Robert D

« Reply #29 on: 28 Nov 2009, 03:08 pm »
Don, well said that's a rule

Not broken don't fix it
I have not cleaned my BCD-1 and I dn't plan on cleaning it for a LONG time.
But yet I?m still curious the lens Plastic? Glass?
Does it ever have to be cleaned?

Robert

srb

« Reply #30 on: 28 Nov 2009, 03:12 pm »
I would have to agree.  If it doesn't misread or skip, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If a technician cleaned it, he would most likely use a lintless swab with isopropyl alcohol.  The manufacturers would rather you use a cleaning disc than go inside the player and get physical with lens and nudge it into misalignment.

If your atmospheric conditions are normal, you're probably OK as proven by many with 10+ year old players (including myself) that haven't been cleaned.  As I mentioned before, the smoker's players are likely more susceptible to problems as evidenced by the gummy film over every surface in the house.

If a problem did develop, I would go inside with the lintless swab, the 91% isopropyl alcohol and the delicate surgeon's touch.

Steve
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2009, 05:39 pm by srb »

werd

« Reply #31 on: 28 Nov 2009, 09:56 pm »
UHF claims to have found a cleaning disc that they like. It's on their website and they sell it. They claim it doesn't pose the same risk that other disks present to the laser assembly. Can't remember what the details on it are. I've been reading that mag for years and they seem  genuine  with their recommendations, might be worth a try.

math-geek

« Reply #32 on: 29 Nov 2009, 05:29 pm »
If the laser is glass a Q-Tip and 91% alcohol work great.  If the lens is plastic then you have a very expensive paper weight.  When in doubt leave it to a professional especially where expensive equipment is concerned.

srb

« Reply #33 on: 29 Nov 2009, 05:59 pm »
If the laser is glass a Q-Tip and 91% alcohol work great.  If the lens is plastic then you have a very expensive paper weight.  When in doubt leave it to a professional especially where expensive equipment is concerned.

Although water is certainly safer, I have cleaned several inexpensive CD players and CD-ROM drive lens (which I assume were plastic) with 91% isopropyl and it had no detrimental effect.  In fact, they were intermittently skipping on good discs and the cleaning did elminate it.  Although alcohol can cloud some plastic surfaces, obviously the lenses I cleaned were of a non-affected type plastic.

But I guess I would play it safe with a $2600 CD Player.  So was it determined that the Bryston player has a Philips drive, as Philips says that a glass lens is used in all of their high grade CDMx mechanisms?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #34 on: 30 Nov 2009, 04:22 pm »
OK - here is the info:

The assembly is made up of 3 major parts.
The 'Laser' itself is made of Glass - the 'Mirror' lens is also Glass and the 'Laser optical' lens is a very specialized Plastic.

It is not recommended that you use any cleaning type CD's as they can be abrasive but they can also knock the laser assembly out of alignment :nono:

james

Phoenix

« Reply #35 on: 30 Nov 2009, 07:01 pm »
Plastic or glass - IMO it doesn't matter.
I would say that there is no factory new CD drive on earth that does an error while reading a brand new CD - either glass or plastic lens will do it perfectly.

There may be differences how good they are in error correction caused by dust and scratches. But the technology itself is so sophisticated there's hardly anything that would improve the data reading (because it's already perfect - remember your 16x drive writing millions of bits without an error?).

BTW: Glass is an amorphous material, as are plastics like e.g. PC, PS or PMMA. PP, PE and others are semicrystalline.

And don't clean a plastic lens with any organic detergent without knowing what kind of plastic it is made of! Otherwise you may damage the lens. It's even possible that right after cleaning it looks fine but gets terrible after hours, days or months.

Robert D

« Reply #36 on: 30 Nov 2009, 07:55 pm »
OK - here is the info:

The assembly is made up of 3 major parts.
The 'Laser' itself is made of Glass - the 'Mirror' lens is also Glass and the 'Laser optical' lens is a very specialized Plastic.

It is not recommended that you use any cleaning type CD's as they can be abrasive but they can also knock the laser assembly out of alignment :nono:

james

Thank you James

Robert

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #37 on: 2 Dec 2009, 11:30 pm »
Doesn't the drive seal itself to protect against dust? Am I wrong?

Robert D

« Reply #38 on: 3 Dec 2009, 12:19 am »
Doesn't the drive seal itself to protect against dust? Am I wrong?

Thats a good one for James

I clean the Tray with a Micro Fiber Cloth any way.
And make sure the Cd zzzzz are Clean

Robert

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #39 on: 3 Dec 2009, 12:32 am »
I do the same with my cd player and cds.