DIY cleaning solution for RCM?

Rob S.

DIY cleaning solution for RCM?
« on: 9 Nov 2009, 06:42 am »
Hi,
    What are some of you using with your VPI record cleaning machines?  I've been enjoying my VPI 16.5 and need more cleaning fluid.  Is there an effective DIY fluid that cleans as well as VPI cleaning fluid?

Rob S.

Wayner

Re: DIY cleaning solution for RCM?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2009, 12:38 pm »
I have a home made recipe that I use as a spray on and brush before use record cleaning fluid. It's 3 parts reverse osmosis water to 1 part 99% isopropyl alcohol. Works great.

Wayner  :D

Rob S.

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2009, 01:37 pm »
Wayner,  sounds like a great 2 part process. Would be great on the used records I've been buying.   If you've listened to an album recently, are you still doing the 2 part cleaning when you play it a 2nd or 3rd time?

What brand of record cleaning fluid do you use? 

Rob S.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2009, 07:48 pm »
I clean my records every time I play. I do not own a record cleaning machine. I use my laundry tub and mild dishwasher soap and water. I wash all of the used albums I buy in the sink for the first time, before ever playing them. This first part of the process seems to get rid of most of the fingerprints, grunge and gunk. When I play my records, I always use my formula that is put into a spray-mist bottle. Then I mist my Discwasher D4 brush and do a nice swipe on the record surface, while the record is spinning. I has since also started to add some "yellow" stuff that Orthobiz sent me. It's a cleaning agent good for biological gunk and now put a few drops in my mist sprayer. That is all I have really ever done in my 40+ years of vinyl playing and I think my collection is extremely clean, with almost zero surface noise. They also feel clean when I brush them. Even the used ones start to feel slippery after a few listenings.

Wayner

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2009, 08:11 pm »
Wayne trust me on this and buy a vpi 16.5 you will l never go back worth every penny  :thumb:

3 parts  reverse osmosis deionized water 
1 part   part isopropyl (91%)    
10  drops photo flo 200 per gal

like to try that yellow stuff

I clean my records every time I play. I do not own a record cleaning machine. I use my laundry tub and mild dishwasher soap and water. I wash all of the used albums I buy in the sink for the first time, before ever playing them. This first part of the process seems to get rid of most of the fingerprints, grunge and gunk. When I play my records, I always use my formula that is put into a spray-mist bottle. Then I mist my Discwasher D4 brush and do a nice swipe on the record surface, while the record is spinning. I has since also started to add some "yellow" stuff that Orthobiz sent me. It's a cleaning agent good for biological gunk and now put a few drops in my mist sprayer. That is all I have really ever done in my 40+ years of vinyl playing and I think my collection is extremely clean, with almost zero surface noise. They also feel clean when I brush them. Even the used ones start to feel slippery after a few listenings.

Wayner

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2009, 07:40 pm »
Wayne,

What Ed said.  :wink:

I will sell you my VPI 16.5 RCM with 2 extra (brand new) wands for $325 shipped just for you.    You will love the convenience of the machine and your labels don't get wet either like you do in a tub.

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2009, 08:17 pm »
Thanks for your offer Woodsyi, I will consider the offer over the week.

Wayner  :D

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2009, 11:47 pm »
Wow that's a heck of a deal!!! I would be sending the cash next day air if he offered me that deal  :lol:

ED

Wayne,

What Ed said.  :wink:

I will sell you my VPI 16.5 RCM with 2 extra (brand new) wands for $325 shipped just for you.    You will love the convenience of the machine and your labels don't get wet either like you do in a tub.

twitch54

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2009, 01:13 am »
Wayner.....as woodsyi and Ed both said, get the RCM and never look back, I'm in total agreement, from another 'spinner of vinyl' for over 45 years !

As for my current everday RCM solution.....Reagent grade medical water &  "L' Art du Sol"

Scottdazzle

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2009, 03:22 am »
Woodsyi,

So what upgrade is on the way to your man cave?!   8)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2009, 03:40 am »
Rob,

I have a VPI 17 RCM and use Disc Doctor or Last cleaning fluid. If the records are really grundgy I use the Audio Intelligent two step process. I always rinse with RO deionized water. I am very, very satsified with the results. I tried the VPI cleaning fluid when I first bought the VPI-17, but wasn't satisfied so I tried some others and settled on the Disc doctor and Last as my primary cleaning fluids.

Wayner,

I used to clean by hand with a Discwasher brush, but as I bought more and more used records, I decided to buy a RCM. One of the best vinyl-related decisions I ever made. Let me add my support for taking Woodsyi up on his offer. You will not be sorry and soon you will wonder why you waited so long.  aa

Laura

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2009, 05:22 am »
Woodsyi,

So what upgrade is on the way to your man cave?!   8)

A Typhoon.   aa

Rob S.

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2009, 05:28 am »
Woodysi,  I was going to guess at least the 17.  your collection and vinyl rigs deserve the best.
I'll see if I can kick in some cash to help you fund it. :)   Need to mount the Koetsu cartridge and see what it does.

Thanks everyone for the cleaning suggestions.

Rob S.

ncdrawl

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2009, 03:46 am »
http://www.recordclean.com.au/4/20834/20848.html

for peanuts, and wipes the floor with my foofy nitty gritty RCM!

I will never let mine go!

Dan Kolton

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2009, 04:49 pm »
I've got one too.  Beats the snot out of my K-M.

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2009, 12:07 am »
http://www.recordclean.com.au/4/20834/20848.html

for peanuts, and wipes the floor with my foofy nitty gritty RCM!

I will never let mine go!

Are you using tap water on your records?

Dan Kolton

« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2009, 05:04 pm »
I am (using tap water).

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2009, 07:55 pm »
Are you using anything else besides Tap water? Do you have a solution that you use or just the high pressure wash treatment with tap water. I know that the well water at my house will leave a grunge even with the filtering that i do to it. Do you really think your getting the best cleaning without a vacuum system and filtered water. with an enzyme or alcohol  based cleaning solution. Cheap is one thing clean is an other

ED

I am (using tap water).

Dan Kolton

« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2009, 10:22 pm »
I apply the cleaning solution supplied with the G.E.M. apparatus before rinsing.  Don't know how I'd get enough of any other rinse to use at the pressure applied, and, after drying with micro-cloth, I find no sludge, and the record plays great.

twitch54

« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2009, 02:34 pm »
I apply the cleaning solution supplied with the G.E.M. apparatus before rinsing.  Don't know how I'd get enough of any other rinse to use at the pressure applied, and, after drying with micro-cloth, I find no sludge, and the record plays great.

given the next to nothing cost of distilled water, using tap water makes 'zero' sense, you state that you find 'no sludge'.....at what power of magnification did you detirmine this ?

Regardless a general recomendation for the use of tap water is purely stupid for the simple fact that there are way to many variables.