DIY cleaning solution for RCM?

Dan Kolton

Re: DIY cleaning solution for RCM?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Nov 2009, 08:53 pm »
twitch54,
Please explain to me how one might use the G.E.M. apparatus without using tap water.  Do you expect me to find a high pressure pump and build a reservoir for the distilled water? Or do you not have a clue how this device works?

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov 2009, 09:06 pm »
A friend of mine owns a water softener sales and service company here in town. I jokingly told him that and I should start making record cleaning fluid. he looked at me with a goofy look, then I had to explain to him how the LP world is coming back real strong, and that I feel there is a market for a low cost, effective cleaner. He has the ability to make reverse osmosis water at his business place so bottling a gallon of the stuff, using my recipe might be interesting. He did tell me very candidly that this kind of water is very "aggressive" was his term. I asked him what he meant by that. He said that this kind of water is actually in an un-natural state, because it has zero minerals dissolved in it. It really likes to have minerals dissolved in it, so apparently it will bond with lots of stuff, so with a good detergent, it's very aggressive at cleaning.

While I'm not really concerned about tap water being "contaminated", but I do believe Ed, he lives in the country and probably has iron and all sorts of dessolved salts and minerals in it, but others may have fairly clean looking water. The problem is that it is not free of dissolved minerals and salts and therefore, isn't as aggressive at cleaning.

I can buy this stuff for .35 cents a gallon so it's not a bank buster.

Just my .02 cents worth.....again.

Wayner

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2009, 09:40 pm »
twitch54,
Please explain to me how one might use the G.E.M. apparatus without using tap water.  Do you expect me to find a high pressure pump and build a reservoir for the distilled water? Or do you not have a clue how this device works?

Something like this would be the ticket lots of preasure

Small water pump

Specifications:
115 volts
28 watts
UL listed
6 foot electrical cord
317 gph
Intake is 5/8" tubing
outake is 1/2"
max pumping height is 6' 7"

Size:
7 1/8 long x 3 3/4" wide x 4 1/4" high

Warranty:
2 year manufactuer warranty

one of those 5 gal water bottles a little tubing and a major improvement to the G.E.M. apparatus 

that these two items and the gem dandy will be good to go

twitch54

« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2009, 01:39 pm »

Dan, my comment was one directed only towards the 'general recomendation' for the use of tap water. Your tap water may be Ok (don't think for one minute that it's trully pure) whereas in other areas of the country even worse. If your happy with your cleaning procedure...fine, but the majority of us won't be using 'plain tap water' !

Dan Kolton

« Reply #24 on: 17 Nov 2009, 03:36 pm »
Does this mean that you are aware that the G.E.M. apparatus uses the pressure from the tap to power the spray?  The pump suggested by ecramer , along with a large reservoir, seems to me the only possible way for me not to use tap water, and since my results are excellent (remember that the rinse water is soaked up by a micro fiber cloth), I  don't plan on the trouble and expense of that solution.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #25 on: 17 Nov 2009, 03:56 pm »
Brush clean with tap and a bit of detergent, rinse with distilled or reverse osmosis, and dry with a microfiber towel.  Reverse osmosis still has dissolved ion content compared to distilled, but it's good enough for me.

kenreau

« Reply #26 on: 17 Nov 2009, 06:09 pm »
A friend of mine owns a water softener sales and service company here in town. I jokingly told him that and I should start making record cleaning fluid. he looked at me with a goofy look, then I had to explain to him how the LP world is coming back real strong, and that I feel there is a market for a low cost, effective cleaner. He has the ability to make reverse osmosis water at his business place so bottling a gallon of the stuff, using my recipe might be interesting. He did tell me very candidly that this kind of water is very "aggressive" was his term. I asked him what he meant by that. He said that this kind of water is actually in an un-natural state, because it has zero minerals dissolved in it. It really likes to have minerals dissolved in it, so apparently it will bond with lots of stuff, so with a good detergent, it's very aggressive at cleaning.

While I'm not really concerned about tap water being "contaminated", but I do believe Ed, he lives in the country and probably has iron and all sorts of dessolved salts and minerals in it, but others may have fairly clean looking water. The problem is that it is not free of dissolved minerals and salts and therefore, isn't as aggressive at cleaning.

I can buy this stuff for .35 cents a gallon so it's not a bank buster.

Just my .02 cents worth.....again.

Wayner

From my recent, limited, newbie research, I think the final touch of the ideal record clean/rinse ultra pure water should also include de-ionization (aka DI water).  2 or 3 x RO and DI.  I've found the multi-step RO water for cheap, but have yet to locate a source that is also DI.   I think Lloyd Walker recently came out with a final rinse ultra pure water that would be the benchmark standard.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #27 on: 17 Nov 2009, 09:36 pm »
I buy R/O and deionized water from the local Culligan distributor for 50 cents per gallon in a 5 gal plastic bottle. I use it for rinsing after cleaning. I also use it to mix with my Disc Doctor cleaing fluid. Works great. I'm sure it would make a good base for a DIY cleaing fluid too, but I'm not much of a DIY gal.

Laura