Super V comparison talk...

lowtech

« on: 5 Nov 2009, 03:09 am »
Why not just exactly copy the aesthetic design of the Linkwitz Orion and be done with it.   :roll:

sfdoddsy

« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2009, 03:48 am »
Why not just build a set of Orions?

aa

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2009, 03:50 am »
Why not just exactly copy the aesthetic design of the Linkwitz Orion and be done with it.   :roll:

The devil is in the detail.

PMAT

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2009, 04:33 am »
Doh!

lowtech

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2009, 05:27 am »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2009, 06:07 am »

aa
Uhm, I don't mean to offend you, but the two pairs of Orions that I heard didn't sound very good.  They were both terribly veiled and boring.  I'm sure it was a question of amp choices......

Dave

lowtech

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2009, 06:15 am »
Uhm, I don't mean to offend you, but the two pairs of Orions that I heard didn't sound very good.  They were both terribly veiled and boring.  I'm sure it was a question of amp choices......

Dave

If you define exciting as a 10db swing in amplitude over one octave, then I tend to agree with you.   :thumb:

« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2009, 01:37 am by lowtech »

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2009, 07:08 am »
I can't find it but there were listening impression of the V2 (little brother to the Super-V) with the Orion by sl_1800.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69484.msg645546#msg645546

Dave

If you define exciting as a 10db swing in amplitude over one octave, then I tend to agree with you.   :thumb:

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2009, 01:29 pm »

Dave

There is no 10db swing in one octave on Danny's speaker... if that is what you are implying?  Those are 1/2 db increments on that scale.  Danny went over this elsewhere.

mpauly

« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2009, 02:56 pm »
The path I'm going down:
Solid wood slab or veneered and inlaid sides....
Veneered or solid sub cabinet with joinery details...

I'd been thinking about building a set myself and would want to do some book matched, figured, solid wood sides as well, but got hung up with how to account for wood movement without negatively affecting the speaker's rigidity/structure (or at least what I perceived might be negative).  If you've thought of a way to deal with that, I'd love to hear about it.

Michael

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2009, 02:57 pm »
There is a direct A/B comparison of the Orion and the Venuette (V-2) in this thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71532.0

The V-1 and Super V models takes it to another level completely.

If you REALLY look at the graph then you will see that the Super V is +/-1.5db all the way up to 3kHz. After that the tweeter takes a little wiggle or two but is still not bad. I have tweaked it a little and smoothed out the top end a little since this one. I will try and post some new curves latter today and some new pics of a completed pair of Super V's that look really good.

sfdoddsy

« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov 2009, 10:20 pm »

aa

Dave

I doubt it was a question of amp choice. But for a 'terribly veiled and boring' speaker the Orions certainly seem to have proved 'inspirational'.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2009, 10:41 pm »

101.5dB @ approx 12kHz
93.5dB @ 6.4kHz

8dB swing over 1 octave. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2009, 10:44 pm »
101.5dB @ 14kHz
93.5dB @ 6.4kHz

8dB swing over 1.2 octaves. 

It is smoother than that now. I will post new measurements shortly.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2009, 11:30 pm »
Some or many designers state power response is a better performance indicator than on-axis response.  I'd prefer power response & am not necessarily bothered by jagged on-axis response others find troubling.  Reflected off-axis output is a large portion of sound arriving at the listener's ears.         

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 6 Nov 2009, 12:36 am »
You are very correct.

A little wiggle or two above 8kHz or so is not bothersome either as that is up in the range of overtones. I now have this latest pair of Super V's in a +/-2.5db range across the top end and I think I can live with that considering the drivers that I am working with.

Off axis on this thing is great too. I'll post some of those as well, just as soon as I have time. Right now I need to focus on getting this pair up and playing. I want to get a little time on them and give them some listening before they ship off to Germany.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 6 Nov 2009, 01:14 am »

aa

Dave

I doubt it was a question of amp choice. But for a 'terribly veiled and boring' speaker the Orions certainly seem to have proved 'inspirational'.
Please do not try to read into my post anything more than I stated.  I heard two different sets of Orions, both owner built.  I had heard ...........

How cosmic is this? As I was typing my response, my Super V kits arrived!!!  THANK YOU, DANNY!   :green:

....that they were good sounding speakers.  I was excited to hear them and was very disappointed on both occasions.  I am not slamming the design in any way.  I am simply stating that I don't think I have heard a well conceived and delivered execution of the design, that is all.  There are reasons that I made the statement that I think it was amplification problems on both occasions (mismatched, underpowered, questionable crossovers, etc.).  I would like to hear a good pair.

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 6 Nov 2009, 01:24 am »

aa

Dave

Please do not try to read into my post anything more than I stated.  I heard two different sets of Orions, both owner built.  I had heard ...........

How cosmic is this? As I was typing my response, my Super V kits arrived!!!  THANK YOU, DANNY!   :green:

....that they were good sounding speakers.  I was excited to hear them and was very disappointed on both occasions.  I am not slamming the design in any way.  I am simply stating that I don't think I have heard a well conceived and delivered execution of the design, that is all.  There are reasons that I made the statement that I think it was amplification problems on both occasions (mismatched, underpowered, questionable crossovers, etc.).  I would like to hear a good pair.

Dave

Are you building the cabinet?  I look forward to your review.  I also see that you are selliing your pre...what are you replacing it with?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:54 am »

aa

Dave

Dave

Are you building the cabinet?  I look forward to your review.  I also see that you are selliing your pre...what are you replacing it with?
Hi, Jason.  Yep, I'll be building the cabinet.  I have to finish a MiniBUSS-DC before I start it though. 

I also have a huge custom power distribution filter to build for a customer.  It'll have 6 Furutech gold plated duplexes, 1 Pass & Seymour duplex and a PowerCon for  for outgoing A/C and 2 - 15A IEC Furutech gold plated inlets.  Five seperate filters in that Behemoth.

I'll be replacing my Cary with a Dodd battery powered buffer.  As far as I can tell, it sounds like nuthin' at all.  It pains me to get rid of my Cary.  It sounds so good, but since I am getting one of Gary's battery powered stereo amps, I wanted to keep the genre.

I'll be painting the MB-DC tomorrow.  It is good to feel better.

Dave

sfdoddsy

« Reply #19 on: 6 Nov 2009, 09:51 am »

aa

Dave

Dave

I'm not trying to read too much (I hope), but I am curious.

It would be disingenuous to believe that the V1s do not use the Orions as a starting point. Alas this is reinforced by the unfortunate physical resemblance, but the basic operating principles of the bass and main panel are no different.

I've heard Orions, and variations of Orions, as well as other dynamic dipoles. And they all sound more similar than different, especially when compared to box speakers.

The chap who compared his Orions to the V! and Venuette here also noted an overall similarity, and I'd be very surprised if there weren't. Hence my surprise that you found the Orions so different to the V1s.

The use of the coax mid and servo bass isn't going to change the essential nature of such speakers.

My own speakers attempt to build on SL's work in much the same way as Danny's do. I also wanted greater dynamics and better bass. I also went with 12" bass drivers, but went MTM up top instead of a pro coax driver. And I use a different crossover and different amps. Because of this, SL doesn't consider my speakers an Orion variation (he thinks they are a Phoenix variation).

And yet mine sound very similar to the Orions I've heard, and indeed to the Audio Artistry Beethoven that sparked my interest in all this. Just with more bass and greater dynamics.  I'd be surprised if they were that different to any other dynamic dipole like the Jamo, the NaO, the Arvo Part or the Emerald Physics.

Even the cheap center and surrounds I built sound more similar than different in spite of using different drivers.

Of course, I've not heard the V1s, although I have read the some of the other reports from RMAF. They could be radically different, but given the quality of the speakers I've mentioned I don't see how.

To me, the most interesting thing about the V1s is the use of the Servo bass units. Bass quality is excellent with the Orions, and with my speakers. But I'm sure it could be better and the servo system is an elegant solution. I wish it could solve the overall problem of bass quantity, but the laws of physics are somewhat unbending.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but your post made it sound like the V1 was a dramatically different speaker to the Orion, and I fail to see how this is possible given their similarities.