Re: Super V custom build
« Reply #20 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:39 pm »
OT deleted
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2009, 04:10 pm by HT cOz »

Davey

Super V comparison talk...
« Reply #21 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:26 pm »
Folks,

Acknowledging an inspiration from Siegfried Linkwitz in your own designs INCREASES your stature and respect in this crazy audio business.  :)

For Dave (dBe):

Long time.  :)

"Terribly veiled and boring" are obviously subjective evaluations.  As you're aware, SL's designs are designed to be "true to the original."  Obviously, personal preference factors into evaluations, but there are currently hundreds of Orion owners all over the world that (apparently) disagree with you.

What amplifiers were being used on the Orion examples you auditioned?

Cheers,

Dave.

TomS

« Reply #22 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:46 pm »
Thread split...

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #23 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:49 pm »
Guys,

The OP was sharing his ideas for constructing a pair of GR V-1's and looking for interest in the project. 

Could you guys possibly take the Orion vs ?? discussion to another thread?  It is great discussion.  I just think it takes away from this one, which is more about construction ideas for the V-1.

Tom

+1 Wholeheartedly agree. And very diplomatically stated.

Anand.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #24 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:50 pm »

The use of the coax mid and servo bass isn't going to change the essential nature of such speakers.

To me, the most interesting thing about the V1s is the use of the Servo bass units. Bass quality is excellent with the Orions, and with my speakers. But I'm sure it could be better and the servo system is an elegant solution. I wish it could solve the overall problem of bass quantity, but the laws of physics are somewhat unbending.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but your post made it sound like the V1 was a dramatically different speaker to the Orion, and I fail to see how this is possible given their similarities.
I do not think that it is "disingenuous" to state that Danny's design is different from the Orions anymore than saying two conventional baffle speakers are different.  Every other aspect of the speaker is very different from the Orion as noted in cOz' response.  The only aspect of design in common is the dipole radiation of the speaker. 

The use of a coax mid/hi and servo bass is radically different from the Orion.  It is obvious that you haven't heard them.  Transients and impact are stunning in their rise and decay times.  One of the things that I did not like about the Orions that I heard was the overhang from the drivers.  This I attributed to a lack of control by the amplifiers trying to drive transducers whose Qt was too low for free air use.  There is no, zero, zilch, nada, nein, bupkis of this from the Super V.  One of the attributes of this speaker is the ABSOLUTE control they possess.

The bass?  OMG!!!  The 18Hz 808 drop used in Pete Belasco's "Deeper" made the room shudder at levels (105dB) that I would not use for extended listening periods.  This was accomplished effortlessly, with nary a protest.  The pressure gradients made the hair on my arms move.  'Nuff said about the bass, I think that pretty well nails it.......... oh, wait: there's more!  The bass is tunefull and articulate in a way that I am unaccustomed to, having vented conventional speakers as a reference.  More so than even Apogee Stages or Divas, speakers that are very familiar to me.

The Super V's ARE "dramatically different" to me.  I have been building speakers (I hate to admit this in an open forum, but...) since 1964.  During that time, I have not purchased a commercially available speaker system for my own use.  I have built over 50 pairs of speakers for private clients and recording studios that are still in use around the globe.  The Super V's are spectacular in connecting me to the music, so I bought a pair.  No other speaker has made me want to do this in 45 years. 

Good job, Danny.   :thumb:

There you have it.  YMMV, of course.

Dave

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:57 pm »
It would be disingenuous to believe that the V1s do not use the Orions as a starting point.

In this case, no they weren't. I had progressed from other open baffle MTM designs like the OB-5 and OB-7. Then I designed some 12" subs that were designed from the beginning to be used in open baffle and with servo control. This opened the door up to do a full range, all open baffle designs.

It then started to look like it had to. It was either H frame or W frame for the subs and since the H frame could be built in a way that allows the side panels to finish off the front and back halves of each enclosure then that made it 1.5" narrower than the W frame, so that was what I went with.

I also had to have something to help support the upper baffle and the use of some side panels were also an obvious choice.

At some point I realized that it was a little like an Orion but there was no other way to go about it. I then tried to do what I could to NOT make it look too much like an Orion.

The chap who compared his Orions to the V! and Venuette here also noted an overall similarity, and I'd be very surprised if there weren't.

He was comparing the smaller V-2 model. 8" coaxial and 12" subs (non servo controlled). Where the V-2 won out to Steve and all of his friends was in the mid-range. In other areas it was give and take. I have heard his Orion's and I'd have to agree.

What is really cool about the comparison to me was that they compared well with each other and the V-2 was a whole lot less expensive. The kit will be only $1,295 to begin with and that includes the amps for the subs. Plus, you can power it with a single stereo amp. Another plus is the higher sensitivity means that amp can be a lower cost, low powered tube amp.  :green:

The V-1 and Super V really is on another level. Bass response is in a different league compared to the Orion. Even my friend Steve that owns the Orion just augmented them with a pair of our open baffle servo subs. See his post on it here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70370.0

I'd be surprised if they were that different to any other dynamic dipole like the Jamo, the NaO, the Arvo Part or the Emerald Physics.

I'd have to disagree and say that they are very different and a level above all of those.

They could be radically different, but given the quality of the speakers I've mentioned I don't see how.

Yes sir, they are very much so different in a number of ways.

Bass quality is excellent with the Orions, and with my speakers. But I'm sure it could be better and the servo system is an elegant solution.

The servo system is a lot better!

I wish it could solve the overall problem of bass quantity, but the laws of physics are somewhat unbending.

The laws of physics....  :D  The only thing here that really applies is SPL levels at a given frequency by the surface area and X-Max of the drivers.

That is not where the magic is. It is not about high SPL's at a given point. What the servo controlled woofers do best is stop on a dime. This by far is the biggest deal. The drivers by design can have less moving mass and less stored energy than comparable sized or even smaller sized woofers. So it has a head start right off the bat. Then the servo control system electrically slams on the brakes. The difference is astounding.

It also doesn't hurt that the servo system will keep them flat to 20Hz and -3db down in the teens.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but your post made it sound like the V1 was a dramatically different speaker to the Orion

The Orion has always been a great speaker, but trust me on this one (or don't), this one is very different.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Super V comparison talk...
« Reply #26 on: 6 Nov 2009, 04:23 pm »
Folks,

Acknowledging an inspiration from Siegfried Linkwitz in your own designs INCREASES your stature and respect in this crazy audio business.  :)

For Dave (dBe):

Long time.  :)

"Terribly veiled and boring" are obviously subjective evaluations.  As you're aware, SL's designs are designed to be "true to the original."  Obviously, personal preference factors into evaluations, but there are currently hundreds of Orion owners all over the world that (apparently) disagree with you.

What amplifiers were being used on the Orion examples you auditioned?

Cheers,

Dave.

Yep, SL is a boon to the industry and DIY.  Where would we all be without LR2 and LR4 crossovers as well as his great designs.

Having said that:

Yep, long time.

I understand that SL's designs are what they are.  I'm taking nothing away from them.  I simply related my experiences with the two pair I auditioned.  This is to bring to light that no matter what the design target may be, in the hands of a well intentioned novice (or two), the design can render less than acceptable (to the target) results.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Like I said, I would love to hear a properly executed pair.

Of course my evaluation was subjective.  Listening is a purely personal, subjective experience.  I do have a fair amount of experience in doing analytical  (if subjective) evaluations, however.  I know that good measurements are a very good starting point towards a good pair of speakers, but we don't listen with microphones.

One pair was powered by owner built class A/B SS amps routed by a software crossover program written by the owner.  The other pair was driven by a conglomeration of Crown and Adcom using SL's crossover boards built by the owner.  Hence my statements about amp problems.

Good to see you.  Our discussions were always that: discussions, not shouting matches.  Yin and yang.  It is good to be able to disagree without being disagreeable.  Thank you for that.  When it comes down to the nitty gritty we are not so different.  We love this stuff.

Dave

ebag4

« Reply #27 on: 6 Nov 2009, 06:49 pm »
I will try and post some new curves latter today and some new pics of a completed pair of Super V's that look really good.
Are you still planning on posting the pics of the Super-Vs mentioned here?

Thanks,
Ed

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #28 on: 6 Nov 2009, 07:17 pm »
I can say for certain that I have never heard the low end of a grand piano reproduced as accurately as what Danny has achieved with the V-1.  The servo is a paradigm shift in bass reproduction.

lowtech

« Reply #29 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:03 pm »
I will try and post some new curves latter today and some new pics of a completed pair of Super V's that look really good.

Thanks,
Ed

I wonder if the changes will be significant enough to eliminate the "spitty" character of the compression driver described here?  I have yet to hear a compression driver that didn't have this characteristic.  OTOH, I guess this is what gives them that "exciting" character that some enjoy.

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:20 pm »
I wonder if the changes will be significant enough to eliminate the "spitty" character of the compression driver described here?  I have yet to hear a compression driver that didn't have this characteristic.  OTOH, I guess this is what gives them that "exciting" character that some enjoy.

I don't think these or any of the other P-Audio drivers that I have been working with have this quality at all. No one else that heard them at the show seemed to think so either. This could just be a case of a guy looking for something less than glowing to report. He pretty much trashed just about everything else that he talked about. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don't see this one as a valid criticism.

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:26 pm »

See all the other pics here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73341.new#new

ebag4

« Reply #32 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:27 pm »

Thanks,
Ed

Truth be told, in this configuration it is no longer a compression driver.  I am currently running the top half of the V-1 and there is no "spitty" character, just smooth clean and dynamic!  And that is without the servo bass section.  In fact, in this configuration I have come to enjoy these drivers more than my OB5 with the Neo3, and that is saying something.

Why don't you buy a set and see if you like them for yourself.  You'll be glad you did!

Best Regards,
Ed

HT cOz

« Reply #33 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:53 pm »

Truth be told, in this configuration it is no longer a compression driver.  I am currently running the top half of the V-1 and there is no "spitty" character, just smooth clean and dynamic!  And that is without the servo bass section.  In fact, in this configuration I have come to enjoy these drivers more than my OB5 with the Neo3, and that is saying something.

Why don't you buy a set and see if you like them for yourself.  You'll be glad you did!

Best Regards,
Ed
[/quote]

Do you think they would work with the bottom section of a Neo-3?  Think Lollipop and would probably need to be self powered.

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 6 Nov 2009, 09:12 pm »
So, does it really look like an Orion?

I don't think so.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #35 on: 6 Nov 2009, 09:35 pm »
Danny, I apologize in advance if you have already covered this but I was wondering if the crescent shaped cut out on the rear of the side panels......cosmetic, or?....

ebag4

« Reply #36 on: 6 Nov 2009, 09:36 pm »

Best Regards,
Ed

Do you think they would work with the bottom section of a Neo-3?  Think Lollipop and would probably need to be self powered.
[/quote]

I can't say with any certainty because I haven't heard the NEO 3 yet, although I am currently building a pair for my sister.  Are you saying use a Neo 3 minus the Tweeter (no real bottom section to a Neo3, it is a transmission line MTM speaker)?   My guess is yes, it could possibly work, no issue with the drivers palying high enough, you might run into an output issue as the P-Audio unit is rated at about 97dB.  It would be simiar to using the bass section of a OB5 or OB7 except using a transmission line alignment. I think you might miss much of the bassy goodness of the V-1, the OB servo subs are reported to be outstanding.  I am currently using my Augies for the bass until I can save enough pennies in my audio piggy bank to pick up the servo sub section.

Best Regards,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 6 Nov 2009, 09:42 pm »
Danny, I apologize in advance if you have already covered this but I was wondering if the crescent shaped cut out on the rear of the side panels......cosmetic, or?....

It has to cover that rear area, but the crescent shape (and the shape of the side panel in general) was to break up the vertical lines and give it some character.

I think ebag4 nailed that one with this comment.

I think you might miss much of the bassy goodness of the V-1,

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #38 on: 6 Nov 2009, 10:02 pm »
Ed:

What are you hearing between the P-Audio Driver, which one by the way, and the OB 5 combo?

The OB 5 is very open, detailed, and fast.

Thanks,

Rocket_Ronny

ebag4

« Reply #39 on: 6 Nov 2009, 10:08 pm »
Ed:

What are you hearing between the P-Audio Driver, which one by the way, and the OB 5 combo?

The OB 5 is very open, detailed, and fast.

Thanks,

Rocket_Ronny

Hi Ronny,
This is going to sound a bit odd but I like the tone of the P-Audio driver, it sounds a bit richer (for lack of a better term) than the OB5 MTM.  I say it sounds odd because I love the NEO 3, but that is what I hear.  The other difference, not quite as surprising, is the dynamics of the P-Audio are superior to the OB5 MTM. Of course the standard YMMV applies.

BTW, I have the CXA unit, not the CX38 from the Super V.

Best,
Ed