Anyone using an HD ant (Winegard?) for local channels?

dmatt

Re: Anyone using an HD ant (Winegard?) for local channels?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Nov 2009, 11:25 pm »
Jazzcourier,

I bow to the more knowledgeable posters -- sounds like SRB and Wayne have it handled (plus I'm learning a thing or two.)  At least I guessed you weren't getting HD out of the Zenith.

Wayne, thanks for the lead on the Samsung.  I looked for tuners with digital audio output but couldn't find others than the Winegard, which is intended for RV applications -- I was probably using the wrong keywords.

David

jazzcourier

« Reply #21 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:50 am »
So.......I should be looking into an HDTV tuner? I just want to build the stable before i buy the horse,as i will be buying a new plasma tv soon and i want to be prepared. As for " the beast", it still looks good and it just might outlive me!  There is always the option of going with the DISH HDTV sat and box,supplied free and get those local channels through them.  I can probably squeeze some sort of "deal" from them if i start wagging Direct TV in their faces,they look at my account and see i have been a customer for 12 years! In fact i BOUGHT all the original equipment,at great and embarrassing expense,only to see them GIVE the stuff away a few years down the line.
    Still anxious to hear any ideas and specific models and makes that might do it for me. Thanks guys....i know there must be a few others that would like a resolution to the HD local channel situation.......Thanks! John   

srb

« Reply #22 on: 6 Nov 2009, 04:16 am »
John,

If you buy a plasma TV, it will have an HD ATSC off-the-air tuner built in.  If you buy an HD TV tuner box, it would just be to acommodate the Hitachi now.

When Wayner gets a chance, he'll post the model of his Samsung device and we can take a look at it.

And if you like the picture on the "beast", maybe you want to put off the new purchase.  The flat screens only get better each year.  My 1-1/2 year old Panasonic plasma is a space heater compared to the new models using 30-40% less power.

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #23 on: 6 Nov 2009, 01:28 pm »
I found the manual. It's model number SIR-T151. It's quite a few years old so I don't know if the model has changed or if it's still made. Perhaps could get one on eBay.

Wayner  :D

srb

« Reply #24 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:26 pm »
From HDTVExpert.com:

"With the widespread availability of integrated HDTV sets, it?s hard to find any manufacturers willing to continue selling discrete DTV set-top receivers. Yet, there are still plenty of legacy HDTV monitors out there that require such a box for terrestrial DTV reception."

The Samsung DTB-H260F seems to be a still-supported model, but no longer available new
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/h260f.html

Samsung's site
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/digital-set-top-box/hdtv-tuners/DTB-H260F/XAA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

A bunch on ebay, but fairly expensive:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=DTB-H260F&_sacat=See-All-Categories

And one SIR-T151 like Wayners
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=SIR-T151&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=DTB-H260F&_osacat=0

This is a little tougher than I thought.  There must be something else out there, but haven't found it yet.  You would think that when they came out with the converter boxes for the switchover, there would have been HDTV converters as well.  Maybe have another thought later.

Steve

WGH

« Reply #25 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:40 pm »
I also use the Samsung SIR-T151, it is an excellent tuner. The tuner outputs 480i - 1080i via a slide switch in the back of the unit. The units hardly ever show up on eBay but it so happens that one is available now (thanks Steve).

Another good Samsung DTV tuner is the SIR-TS360 Direct TV tuner, these are usually quite plentiful on the used market and they also receive over the air digital broadcasts. The tuner works just fine without a Direct TV account or cable hook-up but the Direct TV Access CARD must be inserted or the tuner will not work. The SIR-TS360 also has extra inputs so a standard DVD player and VCR can be plugged in and up-sampled to 1080i with 5.1 Dolby Digital output.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-SIR-TS360-DirecTV-HD-Receiver-HDTV-Tuner_W0QQitemZ290366551359QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439b31f53f
Make sure the access card is included with the tuner or you will have to buy one.

jazzcourier

« Reply #26 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:45 pm »
Gentlemen! A great batch of information and resources worthy of nearly a sherlockian quest for THE answer.I think we have discovered a product niche that needs to be duplicated and replicated.Wonder what those units sold for new that are on Ebay now? Now i must make my decision.......or say to the beast..."those of you who are about to die,we salute you".........Where is my toga?  What do you think-might make a great "Craigslist" ad- Hitachi tv- works great-one dollar per pound? I bow to the esteemed team of researchers here! cheers! John

srb

« Reply #27 on: 6 Nov 2009, 04:16 pm »
Found one model that sells new, a KWorld, but the reviews said voices had a metallic sound, channels were near impossible to delete, the remoted sucked, and "not as nice as my Samsung"!

Then I thought, "who has older technology for sale?"  Well, I naturally thought of Overstock.com and Radio Shack, but neither had any.

John, if you want one of these, it certainly does look like an ebay or craigslist mission.  Good Luck.

Steve

dmatt

« Reply #28 on: 6 Nov 2009, 04:46 pm »
Guys,

I know it is not intended as a home box, but Winegard still makes the RV HD tuner and the picture and sound are great (I now use it as the OTA source for HD 1080i into my Pioneer 600M plasma monitor and a digital audio input into my main system).  It comes with an AC adapter.  Plus the price new seems a little less than the other options?  You could try it for the Hitachi and there's not much lost investment when you move to a Plasma TV (with HD tuner).

Buy at PartsExpress for $159.00:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=210-172

Buy a refurbished unit at Winegard for $69.99:
http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?p=WDRC1010REFURB&d=Winegard-Factory-Refurbished-RC1010-Digital-HD-Receiver-(RC1010)&post=

Buy a refurbished unit at SolidSignal for $59.99 (when available):
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=RC1010REFURB&mc=03&d=Winegard-Factory-Refurbished-RC1010-Digital-HD-Receiver-(RC1010)&sku=RC-1010&source=googleps

$70 to receive HD local stations?  What's not to like?

Just a thought.

David

srb

« Reply #29 on: 6 Nov 2009, 05:20 pm »
I know it is not intended as a home box, but Winegard still makes the RV HD tuner and the picture and sound are great $70 to receive HD local stations?

What's not to like?

The only concern would be in the two reviews I found:

One at Parts Express where the customer says "Tuner can be slow to lock... Picture quality is good, occasional stuck frames even with 100% signal."

And another at Amazon where Bart says "unfortunately I am finding the box to be nearly unusable due to the video freezing or pixelating every few seconds - despite 99-100% signal strength indicated on the unit's own meter. I connected a Dish Network TR-40CRA to the same antenna in the same location and its reception is nearly flawless, despite registering about 5% lower signal strength on its meter than the Winegard indicates"
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RC-1010-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B001DFX6DE

David, however, it seems to be working for you and you aren't experiencing these problems?  Could just be some faulty units.

Steve

dmatt

« Reply #30 on: 6 Nov 2009, 06:55 pm »
Steve,

Those reviews sound like cause for concern.  (Good thing I didn't see the Amazon review  :duh:).  At least the PE reviewer (and I read that one before purchase) gave it a 4 out of 5 in spite of the stuck frames.

Aside from the 3 second hesitation it takes to get a picture when changing channels, the Winegard performs just like my old Sony TV tuner.  I sometimes get pixilation just before the picture goes blank, but always due to signal strength. 

Maybe I got a 'good' one.  Mine is a refurbished unit from Winegard.

I agree with the earlier poster,  I'm surprised it isn't easier to find an HD tuner.

David

dmatt

« Reply #31 on: 6 Nov 2009, 07:18 pm »
Found this one,

Hitachi AVC08U Audio Video Center

http://www.hitachi-homeelectronics.us/supportingdocs/forhome/ubcg/ultrathin_1_5/Hitachi_AVC08U.pdf

However it only outputs the HD video through HDMI (no component video output) and has no remote -- it is designed to partner with the Hitachi Ultra Thin Monitors which have the remote control.

Plus it has switching capability for an additional 4 inputs -- a feature you may not want to pay for.

You know, it is easier to find NOS tubes.

David

jazzcourier

« Reply #32 on: 6 Nov 2009, 07:30 pm »
Winegard has a 30 day return policy less 15% restocking fee plus 100% spousal scorn if it does not work flawlessly.Seventy bucks for the refurbished unit is not much of a gamble considering the accumulated DISH fees.
Thanks!

srb

« Reply #33 on: 6 Nov 2009, 07:40 pm »
Found this one, Hitachi AVC08U Audio Video Center

However it only outputs the HD video through HDMI (no component video output)
I'm pretty sure John's Hitachi doesn't have HDMI.

You know, it is easier to find NOS tubes.
Boy, I'll say!  ;)

Winegard has a 30 day return policy less 15% restocking fee
Sounds good. 15% of $70 is only $10.50 plus a few bucks for shipping. Not a lot to loose there.  Sometimes refurbished units can be better because someone actually checked out the operation (instead of 1 in every 100, or less, on the assembly line.)

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #34 on: 6 Nov 2009, 07:46 pm »
My Samsung unit sold for $399 new if I recall correctly.

Wayner  :D

acresm22

« Reply #35 on: 6 Nov 2009, 07:50 pm »
I've been reading this thread with interest, and thought I'd throw out what I'm considering...

I have a Planar LCD monitor, no built-in ATSC tuner, so I've been searching for an OTA HD tuner with minimal luck. Read somewhere though that some ATSC tuner cards for PCs do a fantastic job ( http://store.snapstream.com/tvtunercards-hdtv.html ).

With that in mind, I'm considering a dedicated entertainment PC hooked up to the Planar to pick up OTA HD and also watch free online programming via Hulu or whatever. And ditching cable/satellite completely.

Question is...is there any site that offers free HD television programming? Hulu is all SD I think.

srb

« Reply #36 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:01 pm »
Question is...is there any site that offers free HD television programming? Hulu is all SD I think.

Well, that is a good question.  I use my HTPC for all TV viewing and recording.  I have 2 dual ATSC/NTSC tuners in the PC and don't use the ATSC tuner in my TV at all.  I had just assumed that either no one was offering free HD, or there would be way too much compression, or that my "value" tier cable internet bandwith wouldn't be sufficient.

Let me know if you come accross something.

Steve

acresm22

« Reply #37 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:35 pm »
I'll do some more research Steve and let you know.
How do your tuner cards perform for those OTA signals? Good I assume?

srb

« Reply #38 on: 6 Nov 2009, 09:14 pm »
How do your tuner cards perform for those OTA signals? Good I assume?

The OTA HD is great, but my SD cable through the NTSC tuner side is not that good.  Since I don't have HD cable, I can't directly compare, but it's hard to imagine the 720p I get from OTA looking much better.  My understanding is that many cable and satellite providers use compression on their HD content, which may result in some of them not looking as good as OTA HD.

I made a previous comment to the effect that I would be watching a show, and say "hey, I don't even like this show", but I was mesmerized with the clarity and color.  ;)

Steve

acresm22

« Reply #39 on: 4 Jan 2010, 03:58 am »
FYI...I picked up a Samsung DTB-H260F HD tuner on ebay in December , and it works very well. Be patient and you can pick one up for $100 or so...but patience is the key. I watched numerous auctions before snagging mine, and several went for $175 +.

The DTB-H260F has the 5th generation receiver chip, which reportedly makes a big difference. I'm on the hunt for a suitable antenna now, but was quite impressed with a quick scan using an old rooftop antenna I fished out of the attic and hooked up (temporarily, believe me) in my living room.