BCD-1 BDA-1 questions & feedback

SeanS

BCD-1 BDA-1 questions & feedback
« on: 29 Oct 2009, 07:04 pm »
All,

A topic I am aware has surfaced in a few variations, and places.. but here we go again.

I'm planning to buy a BCD-1 or BDA-1 as an upgrade from my Meridian 506.24. My aim is to have the playback quality available from the BCD-1 as a baseline.

I'm aware a few forum members have both BCD-1 & BDA-1, so may be able to share their experiences and help with my questions..?

If going with the BDA-1 I would use:
1:)DAC for the Meridian, DAC for cheapish CDP when the Meridian dies
2:)PC connected via ESI Julia Coax Digital out, or Squeezebox

My questions on the BDA-1..
1:)As a CDP DAC
- Is the BDA-1 very sensitive to variations transport & cable; should I expect BCD-1 performance, or is it dependant largely on interconnect, transport etc. I had a Rega Planet/DAC which was highly influenced by the interconnect, but believe the later generation DACS may be less sensitive to this?

2:)As a PC source
- Should I expect BCD-1 performance. (assuming CD res lossless files, Dedicated XP PC, ESI Julia with Coax digital out)

I'm unable to audition/compare, as the nearest dealer is a 2 hour flight away, but did audition the BCD-1 when travelling, very nice.

By nature I like the simplicity of the physical media, but realize the DAC opens future doors, I'd like to think I'm open to change!!!!

Would appreciate feedback from those who have experimented with this, I guess a summary of my question is is it relatively easy to get BCD-1 like performance from the BDA-1, or is it endless fiddling with interconnects etc etc..?

Thanks
Sean

werd

Re: BCD-1 BDA-1 questions & feedback
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2009, 07:16 pm »
Hi

I currently own a Bda. What is nice about it is its ability to micro-manage your soundstage by swapping out different transports and ic's. They do make a big diff as its the transport that drives your whole system sound. For eg. i used to use cryo-genic treated power cords with my bda with success, until i got my Torus conditioner. At that point i moved back to reg
cables as the cable overdrived my treble a little too much.... plugged into the Torus. It's those little adjustments here and there that make the diff is what i am trying to say.

SeanS

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2009, 04:36 am »
Thanks Werd, it sounds like changes relating to connected upstream equipment still has a large influence.

Looking at general PC audio related discussions I see that specific drivers make a difference, ASIO/WDM and various other details which you would not expect to be an influence..

I guess going with the DAC would result in a lot of fiddling to get great sound, .. My only fear is than I may be missing the mark available with the BCD-1 without knowing.

smargo

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2009, 12:38 pm »
I guess going with the DAC would result in a lot of fiddling to get great sound, .. My only fear is than I may be missing the mark available with the BCD-1 without knowing.

Thats probably true - i have had a bcd-1 for about 6 months and it is the most hassle free and cable independent that you can imagine - the sound always mimics the recording - for better or for worse - and the player always fleshes out individual instruments - also the pacing of the player is outstanding - getting a good player always seems to make your speakers sound so much better. its amazing what a good cd player does for your components!

the advantage of a dac - you could run external sources into it like an ipod, etc.

let us know your decision

stu

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2009, 02:33 pm »
Hi SeanS,

I generally recommend the CD player if you see yourself using Redbook CD's as your main source for serious listening going forward (44k/16Bit).

If you see yourself moving towards hi-res digtial playback (192k/24Bit) - either hardwired or streamed - then consider the BDA-1 External DAC.  Or if you really want to go all out then the BDA-1 DAC in combination with the BDC-1 CD Player. :D

james

Robert D

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2009, 01:36 pm »
Hi SeanS,

I generally recommend the CD player if you see yourself using Redbook CD's as your main source for serious listening going forward (44k/16Bit).

If you see yourself moving towards hi-res digtial playback (192k/24Bit) - either hardwired or streamed - then consider the BDA-1 External DAC.  Or if you really want to go all out then the BDA-1 DAC in combination with the BDC-1 CD Player.

Well Said James

Robert

werd

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2009, 06:33 pm »
Thanks Werd, it sounds like changes relating to connected upstream equipment still has a large influence.

Looking at general PC audio related discussions I see that specific drivers make a difference, ASIO/WDM and various other details which you would not expect to be an influence..

I will let you know .... i just bought one.

SeanS

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2009, 04:23 am »
Thanks all, your responses have helped , I was leaning towards the BCD-1 and will go that route. I like the simplicity physical media and as I have a fair collection of vinyl I'll stick to CD & Vinyl.

Werd, please give your feedback when you get the BCD-1, it will be interesting to know how things stack up..

BrystonFan

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2009, 01:33 pm »
James / Robert D:
...the BDA-1 DAC in combination with the BDC-1 CD Player.

What would be the ideal connection/hookup method for this ?

Thanks.

Robert D

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2009, 02:10 pm »
BrystonFan 

I?m connected BCD-1 Connected via AES-EBU Digital out put to BDA- 1

As well BCD-1 Analog XLR L/R To BP26
When I?m connected BCD-1 Connected via AES-EBU Digital out put to BDA- 1
I find that the BDA-1 just adds a touch more of separation. There is something going on with the BDA-1 that just hits the spot.
Seems Vocals are Sharpe, High Hats are High! Mids are explosive.
And the Bass out of my Paradigms well what can I say?
Plenty, I could rent some out to my brother in law.
The Bass is like Thunder. !
Robert

Robert D

« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2009, 02:24 pm »
BrystonFan
I forgot to mention as well I have a Digital Coax cable BNC / BNC BCD-1 to BDA-1
I don?t use it very often but I will be ready for what the Future has to bring concerning HI Rez Reproduction.

Robert

SeanS

« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2009, 02:37 pm »
Robert, so you feel you get better performance using the BCD-1 as a transport for the BDA-1.  Have you tried different transports, if so how do you feel the compare?

Sean

BrystonFan

« Reply #12 on: 3 Nov 2009, 01:29 pm »
Robert D
I may be wrong, but don't the BDA-1 & BCD-1 share the same Crystal CS4398 chip ?
Would not the extra connection via BDA-1 "slightly diminish" audio quality ?

I have an SP2 hooked up via analog Van Damme cables to my BCD-1, powered by my 4BSST2 and I love it. I've been thinking of getting a BDA-1 for some alternate sources (wife's Ipod/Itouch).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 3 Nov 2009, 02:03 pm »
^
Correct the BDA-1 and the BCD-1 share the same Crystal 4398 chip.  The only difference is the BCD-1 has a stereo DAC chip and the BDA-1 has 1 DAC chip per channel.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #14 on: 3 Nov 2009, 03:13 pm »
I had my BCD-1 quite awhile before I got the BDA-1 and for me the BCD-1
was a significant upgrade to my arcam -139.
As using the analog outs of the BCD-1 to my prepro,she's just a pleasure to listen to.
When I aquired the BP-26+the BDA-1,I used a coax,then went with a AES digital to the BDA-1,but ALSO with the BCD-1s analog outs going to the 26.
It could be when I first listened to the BCD-1 that I was totally impressed and in my mind that stuck with me.
Switching back and forth with music I know,if there is a difference it is so close that I second guess myself,so mainly I use the analog outs.
I don't want to think I hear a difference I would rather HEAR it .
With the BDA-1,I'm ready for what's coming up in the future :thumb:.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2009, 03:18 pm »
I had my BCD-1 quite awhile before I got the BDA-1 and for me the BCD-1
was a significant upgrade to my arcam -139.
As using the analog outs of the BCD-1 to my prepro,she's just a pleasure to listen to.
When I aquired the BP-26+the BDA-1,I used a coax,then went with a AES digital to the 26,but ALSO with the BCD-1s analog outs going to the 26.
It could be when I first listened to the BCD-1 that I was totally impressed and in my mind that stuck with me.
Switching back and forth with music I know,if there is a difference it is so close that I second guess myself,so mainly I use the analog outs.
I don't want to think I hear a difference I would rather HEAR it .
With the BDA-1,I'm ready for what's coming up in the future :thumb:.

drummer,

you can't use a digital AES cable to "go" to the 26 as it has no digital AES input.
are we talking about the same thing? if not, please correct me....

al.

drummermitchell

« Reply #16 on: 3 Nov 2009, 03:24 pm »
Al,I knew that ,just checking to make sure you knew :lol:,my mistake AES to BDA-1 and analog out to 26 :thumb:.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #17 on: 3 Nov 2009, 03:26 pm »
Al,I knew that ,just checking to make sure you knew :lol:,my mistake AES to BDA-1 and analog out to 26 :thumb:.

allright , drummer. and i promise to shut up :thumb:

al.

Robert D

« Reply #18 on: 4 Nov 2009, 10:27 pm »
Don Question for you on your BCD-1

From your BCD-1 to your BP26 are you using RCA L/R or XLR L/R

I am using XLR from My BCD-1 to my BP26

I am curious

Robert

drummermitchell

« Reply #19 on: 4 Nov 2009, 11:14 pm »
Robert,I use to use rca,then I did an all out assault with XLRs
My Arcam prepro was all rca,so I did all components,amps ect with rca
Then the 26 came along and said look at me,then I recabled everything again(xlr
Now I'm done :lol:.I'm going on a little adventure with Gik panels to see I can better my room(I'll have to take a few things out :o)should be here in a week.
Was going to do Realtraps,but quite a major price difference and besides I'm
not sure if i'll like what I hear,here's hoping.Spend a bit to find out I guess.
Jeez doesn't take me much to get off topic :roll:.