Speaker Upgrade Help

XKevinX

Speaker Upgrade Help
« on: 10 Sep 2009, 11:27 pm »
Hi:  In a bit of a dilemma.  Been auditioning some new speakers.  I understand that Bryston matches up really well with PMC, so I sought out a PCM dealer outside of my hometown.  I still have kids to put through post secondary school so my limit is around 3000.00.  I listened to some GB1i's and thought they were excellent.  Of course, under ideal conditions.  The store will not allow me to return them if they don't work well at home.  I also listened to some Totem Forests and Hawks, both which I thought were also pretty good.  I discovered that there is a dealer here in my town for Totem.  Convenient.  Any thoughts on these combination's??  I run a 3BSST and a BP-6 with analog source and Wadia digital source.  Thanks.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: Speaker Upgrade Help
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2009, 11:46 pm »
Hi:  In a bit of a dilemma.  Been auditioning some new speakers.  I understand that Bryston matches up really well with PMC, so I sought out a PCM dealer outside of my hometown.  I still have kids to put through post secondary school so my limit is around 3000.00.  I listened to some GB1i's and thought they were excellent.  Of course, under ideal conditions.  The store will not allow me to return them if they don't work well at home.  I also listened to some Totem Forests and Hawks, both which I thought were also pretty good.  I discovered that there is a dealer here in my town for Totem.  Convenient.  Any thoughts on these combination's??  I run a 3BSST and a BP-6 with analog source and Wadia digital source.  Thanks.

It is very difficult to recommend a speaker selection as we all hear music differently. In my circumstance, I searched for almost one year for my ideal speakers and once I auditioned them, I knew that they were for me.

Audition :!: audition :!: :!: and more audition :!: :!: :!:.

I would highly recommend that you read the thread "My first topic - what to do" on this site to avoid repeating this catastrophic and unfortunate turn of events :slap:.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Be well...

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2009, 11:58 pm »
 I recommend listening to the Paradiigm Studio 100 v4, which should retail around $2700.00 CDN. They are a very good 3-way speaker that excel with rock music. They need juice to really open up, but you already have a Bryston amp, so no problem there.

Yep, listen if you can first, as we all have different ideas on what sounds good.

1ZIP

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2009, 02:20 pm »
B&W's are also a good match for Bryston.  I think the 805's go for less than $3K.

Dilbert

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2009, 02:32 pm »
B&W's are also a good match for Bryston.  I think the 805's go for less than $3K.

Yeah, I think there's a good deal to be had on B&W's in Newfoundland right now.... :lol:

srb

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2009, 02:36 pm »

Audition :!: audition :!: :!: and more audition :!: :!: :!: .

I would highly recommend that you read the thread "My first topic - what to do" on this site to avoid repeating this catastrophic and unfortunate turn of events :slap: .

Yes, yes and more yes!

Steve

SF

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2009, 03:51 pm »

I personally own B&W 804s floor-stander, so I am biased. They are great speakers for the price and you have room to move up to one of the best speakers out there used by recording studios such as the Abbey Road Studio. But the speaker you chose depends on what you are going to use it for. If home theater, then you need good bass extension or you need to add a sub. For small rooms, you are better to go with smaller speakers such as stand-mounts and the B&W 805s are fantastic speakers for that purpose. If your room is large, then floor-standers with a full range are likely better. Having said all of this I fully agree that you need to audition the speaker before you buy. You really really should do this. Laundrew has a great point: read the thread that he highlights.
Happy shopping and let us know with what you end-up.

iPaul

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2009, 04:02 pm »
I too really enjoyed auditioning the PMC GB1i's and put them on my so called short list of next upgrade.  That was the "sound" that I prefered.  I knew it because I had auditioned several other speakers in this price range.
That is until I heard a LINN Aktive system comprising of LINN Majik components with a six channel amp and the new Majik 109 stand mount speaker.  My direction changed at that moment.  Knowing all the benefits of going active I have always dreamed of owning an active speaker system but thought I would never afford such.
Well, I decided that the LINN system would end up costing too much even though I could slowly work up towards an active configuration.
Then Dynaudio came out with the Focus 110A active speaker.  I read all three reviews and decided to go ahead and order a pair without hearing them.  Why?  Because they are next to impossible to find to review, at least where I live, and What HiFi gave them 5 stars but said they were too lean for their tastes.  Based on my experience auditioning the PMC speakers I decided that lean sound was my sound.
I haven't received them yet but I hope that I can rest easy from now on not having to save money for the next upgrade.  This is another reason I went this route.
I have been at this for a long time and I feel like I am reaching the point where I can just sit back and listen to the music.  No more upgrades please... I hope.

Laundrew

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2009, 05:06 pm »

Yeah, I think there's a good deal to be had on B&W's in Newfoundland right now.... :lol:

I really appreciate a great sense of humour - it makes the world go round :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2009, 08:32 pm »
You can't go wrong with JBL,
Paradigm, or Revel, imo.

KeithA

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2009, 08:59 pm »

I really appreciate a great sense of humour - it makes the world go round :thumb:

If they were the Rosenut or Cherry finish (anything other than Black Ash....they wouldn't be for sale anymore :wink: :wink:

Keith

1ZIP

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2009, 09:05 pm »

.....ahhhh Newfoundland....I have many fond memories of the week I spent there one night :lol:

XKevinX

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2009, 09:48 pm »
Thanks everyone for their input.  There is a B&W dealer here in town although, I'm not very fond of the dealer. 

Kevin

Rocket

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2009, 05:23 am »
Hi,

Have a look at Salk Sound speakers they have a forum on audiocircle.  I had mine shipped from the US to Australia and I'm very happy with their sound.  They would mate very well with bryston equipment.

Regards

Rod

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2009, 10:42 pm »
Thanks everyone for their input.  There is a B&W dealer here in town although, I'm not very fond of the dealer. 

Kevin

Well, if you don't like the dealer...

1oldguy

« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2009, 05:44 pm »
Not only was the sound not right for me,I didn't even pick out the right color for Keith. :green:

KeithA

« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2009, 05:54 pm »
Not only was the sound not right for me,I didn't even pick out the right color for Keith. :green:

:D :D

As silly as that sounds....it true. I have actually been looking at getting a set of 802s, but not black ash. Although I thought hard about yours...can't pull the trigger :(

Keith

1oldguy

« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2009, 06:02 pm »
I am thinking about putting them at the store for more exposure.I figure it can't hurt.

Laundrew

« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2009, 06:27 pm »

If they were the Rosenut or Cherry finish (anything other than Black Ash....they wouldn't be for sale anymore :wink: :wink:

Keith

But I like Black Ash...

Be well...

1ZIP

« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2009, 06:49 pm »

Kevin

What does that have to do with auditioning a set of speakers?  You don't have to buy them from him/her, you just have to put up with him/her long enough to decide if B&W is right for your situation.