Oldies.com has huge Fantasy CD sale-Blowout-Exceptional Deals!

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: Oldies.com has huge Fantasy CD sale-Blowout-Exceptional Deals!
« Reply #60 on: 26 Oct 2009, 10:24 pm »
The term "cutouts" generically refers to discontinued or overstock items that were marked as cutouts by the record label, then sold in bulk to a cutout distributor. The cutout distributor then sells them (usually in "grab bag" form -- pay a flat price per unit, you don't get to choose what you get) to record stores, who sell them on the cheap. Artists don't get royalties on these sales, which is part of why they can be let go for so little.

To confuse things slightly, some labels will mark promo releases in the same way they mark cutouts -- by notching or drilling the case -- instead of using a "For Promotional Release Only" stamp or sticker. If you run across a "cutout" of something that's been released in the last couple of months, it's really a promo. Some promo CDs have a hole punched (not drilled) in the UPC code on the tray insert, but leave the jewel case intact. In general, ragged drill holes or slices mark cutouts, and "clean" punch holes, clipped corners, etc. mark promos.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #61 on: 26 Oct 2009, 10:43 pm »
Another disadvantage of Oldies - they are sending me giant newspapers once a week!

For no mutilated cases, check out SecondSpin.com  One disadvantage of SecondSpin - their prices seem to be going up...but still a great deal can be found.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #62 on: 27 Oct 2009, 01:43 am »
jqp....
Another disadvantage of Oldies - they are sending me giant newspapers once a week!

That can come in handy if you use a charcoal chimney.... :wink:

mjosef

« Reply #63 on: 27 Oct 2009, 02:13 am »
I see no reason to complain. If you want pristine CD boxes go pay regular retail elsewhere. If you want perfect customer service the same applies. If you want the perfect CD cases so you can resell on the used market after you copy them then that's your problem.
 I always thought that $15 was too much to pay for CDs and 5 bucks or so is what they should be priced so that the consumer benefits from the $'s saved with the lower costs of production and shipping when compared to LPs.

-Roy

Great...the race to the bottom. Artists should just give away their art.
I like a bargain just like the next guy, but whatever they (rec.co.) want for their product is their right, its up to me or other consumers to decide whether I think its worth the price. I much rather pay the artist directly the whole 18-20$, which I do whenever I attend concerts and they sell their cd on site.

Regardless  of where I ordered a cd, I would expect to get exactly what I paid for, shipping the wrong cd and not responding to written inquiry sucks anywhichway you look at it.

srb

« Reply #64 on: 27 Oct 2009, 02:15 am »

In case you didn't see my post on the previous page, you can call the 800 number (800) 336-4627 (both times I called, I waited < 5 minutes), and request a "catalog kill".

However, any new order will automatically reinstate the catalog mailing!

Steve

andy_c

« Reply #65 on: 27 Oct 2009, 06:36 pm »
Thanks to the OP for pointing out this sale.  The Telarc McCoy Tyner discs I have are really good-sounding, so I was glad to be able to get more.  Of course, McCoy is great regardless of the sound quality of the discs.  Also in that list was a three-CD set of Sonny Stitt for five bucks.  Can't beat that!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #66 on: 27 Oct 2009, 08:26 pm »

In case you didn't see my post on the previous page, you can call the 800 number (800) 336-4627 (both times I called, I waited < 5 minutes), and request a "catalog kill".

However, any new order will automatically reinstate the catalog mailing!

Steve

Why make an issue over the catalog mailing? :scratch: If you want to be ecologically correct put it in your recycling bin. I suppose you won't have to worry about more catalogs if you don't place any more orders. I can't imagine that you would place another order after stating your litany of complaints. :icon_lol:

..Roy

srb

« Reply #67 on: 27 Oct 2009, 08:43 pm »
Why make an issue over the catalog mailing? :scratch: If you want to be ecologically correct put it in your recycling bin. I suppose you won't have to worry about more catalogs if you don't place any more orders. I can't imagine that you would place another order after stating your litany of complaints. :icon_lol:

No need to scratch your head.  I was simply pointing out to others who received an unwanted catalog, that it could be easily stopped (until the next order).

And if you think throwing something you won't even use in a recycling bin is an ecological solution, you couldn't be more wrong.  Most recycling programs rely on some amount of manual sorting performed by people getting paid wages by either your garbage fees or tax dollars.  And Federal averages estimate that >25% of "recycled" materials end up in landfills.

As far as my "litany" of complaints, these sentiments were echoed by others, including damaged spine labels, plastic splinters, no real-time inventory and automatic back-order cancellation.

If I order again, that will be my decision based on all the factors, not your somewhat sarcastic response that really adds little value to the discussion.

Steve

mdconnelly

« Reply #68 on: 27 Oct 2009, 09:27 pm »
I have to agree with Steve.  While Oldies pricing and selection are awesome, their level of service leaves something to be desired.  It's good to know that up front so as to set expectations appropriately.   

srb

« Reply #69 on: 27 Oct 2009, 09:48 pm »
I have to agree with Steve.  While Oldies pricing and selection are awesome, their level of service leaves something to be desired.  It's good to know that up front so as to set expectations appropriately.

Exactly.  A few of the selections I ordered were intended as a gift.  The item pages said "in stock".  I didn 't really think I was going to have to scramble locally to find an alternate gift.

If you should place an order for multiple CDs and don't meet the free shipping quota, you may find that your entire shipping charge is applied to one CD, if you find out after the fact the others are no longer available, even though they were supposedly "in stock" and available.

I also pointed out some good things.  Although others for some reason didn't get their inquiry e-mails returned, I found that I could reach them on their 800 number with minimal wait time.  Of course they couldn't do anything about the company's stocking and back-order procedures, but they were pleasant and they were able to give answers to my questions.

I very well may order again, but now I (and others) know some of the pitfalls.  And if I do order again, I'll follow it up with a free phone call to nix that catalog before they even have a chance to send it out!

Steve

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #70 on: 28 Oct 2009, 01:43 am »
Sure... oldies.com isn't perfect but I'm willing to accept it, warts and all, if I'm able to purchase quality music at a substantial discount. Unless its a gift, the punched out jewel cases don't bother me at all. They would only be a problem if I was going to resell them. I just burn them to my hard drive and stow them away. It's interesting but I think that some of the small time sellers on Amazon are buying these cds and attempting to resell them on Amazon, at a tidy profit, defective jewel cases included. I guess I'm not that finicky.

I just took delivery of my latest order of 15 cds. Actually only 10 were shipped because of lack of inventory. I'm still happy and will probably make another order. Some of the missing cds could arrive any day. Maybe, maybe not. I've bought about 50 cds, in three separate orders, thereby bulking up my collection of vintage jazz recordings.  :D

-Roy